Spencer G

Another Head knife Topic

Does anyone have experience with and opinions of the Danny Marlin head knives sold by Hidecrafters? What about the ones sold by Jeremiah Watt? He doesn't say exactly what kind of steel is used, does anybody know? I've got the Weaver head knife as wells as the Don Carlos also sold by Weaver which I use for skiving, and I'm looking to upgrade. Both are functional enough, but I'm somewhat obsessive compulsive about knives, and these don't quite cut it (pun totally intended). Any other suggestions are also welcome.

SpencerG

I talked to Danny Martin at his booth at the IFLoG show in Ft. Worth 2 years ago. He told me he makes his knives out of circular saw blades. The touble with that is maintaining the same quality from one lot of blades to another. I have one of his point knives and like it well enough but did not buy one of his round knives, I have enough of those. I would say they would be a good value based on the other custom knives available out there now.

Randy

Randy,

FYI. Quick clarification.....They are saw blades but they are very large bandsaw blades. One of the knife makers that made them for Danny is a relative so I got to see the material firsthand.

On the other hand he hasn't been making them for him for a little over a year due to health problems so Danny may have changed from bandsaw blades to large circular saw blades but I couldn't imagine that given the cost of materials being significantly lower and more readily available in used bandsaw blades.

Regards,

Ben

I have had four Danny Marlin knives. Two head knives and two utilities.

Well made tools, good quality steel.

Good value.

Cheers,

Karl