rcsaddles

Lace cutter and beveler

Item number: 230333663942rtCurve.gifHere is the number for a cutter/beveler on ebay. In case any one is interested. Looks like it will end on March 29th. No bids as of this posting and starting at $160.00.

Joe

I just bought one of these and I'm waiting to get it. I told the guy I would do a write-up about it, once I get it and have a chance to practice with it. Mine has an extra beveling slot cut into it, so I have three different beveling angles.

Item number: 230333663942rtCurve.gifHere is the number for a cutter/beveler on ebay. In case any one is interested. Looks like it will end on March 29th. No bids as of this posting and starting at $160.00.

Joe

Hi Joe, I bought that cutter and beveler about a year ago and it works pretty good. It's made by a guy who lives in Wild Rose, Texas and it's obvious he must be an engineer. I would say the quality is good and it works pretty good also. I use mine mainly for beveling. I made my own cutter once and I just prefer to use it instead. If there was a downside to it I would say the adjustment when beveling must be done with microadjustments. Turning the shaft by hand just a microinch. The cutter and the splitter work pretty good.

Pepelimoco

Any body have opinions on how this one stacks up against the Hansen? It is certainly more affordable.

Haven't got a Hansen, so I can't really say... anyone want to send me one? ;)

I just got mine and it looks really well made. He included real clear directions. I've got it put together now, when I have a chance to practice with it a bit I'll give my impressions.

Cool I am waiting with baited breath. ;) The one thing that tends to give me pause is that is stresses that it is for thin hide. Not sure how thin his thin is?

Looks to me like it would work for most weights you'd be wanting to cut lace from. I mean... who would cut lace from a 12 oz hide? Seems like a waste of leather. But it looks like calf, kangaroo and lighter weight hides would fit it no problem, and I'll bet you could skive down thicker hides in strips if you needed to.

So far I have tried out the skiver and I *LOVE* it. It is so easy to use! The best skiver I've ever used, that's for sure, real effortless. Also there is a nifty slot at the end of it for the storage of the hex key and pin you need for it so that is really handy. It goes on a piece of wood, and you clamp the wood to your work area. I am using some very strong spring clamps and they hold it just fine. Keep in mind I don't normally use rawhide. I bet if you were cutting rawhide, you'd want to clamp it pretty securely.

The tool I have is a sort of "second generation" and not the one in the eBay auction listed in the OP. I wrote the guy who made it, nice guy, and he has offered to post pics. So, anyone wants to see pics, just ask, and I'll have him send them to me to post.

Looks to me like it would work for most weights you'd be wanting to cut lace from. I mean... who would cut lace from a 12 oz hide? Seems like a waste of leather. But it looks like calf, kangaroo and lighter weight hides would fit it no problem, and I'll bet you could skive down thicker hides in strips if you needed to.

So far I have tried out the skiver and I *LOVE* it. It is so easy to use! The best skiver I've ever used, that's for sure, real effortless. Also there is a nifty slot at the end of it for the storage of the hex key and pin you need for it so that is really handy. It goes on a piece of wood, and you clamp the wood to your work area. I am using some very strong spring clamps and they hold it just fine. Keep in mind I don't normally use rawhide. I bet if you were cutting rawhide, you'd want to clamp it pretty securely.

The tool I have is a sort of "second generation" and not the one in the eBay auction listed in the OP. I wrote the guy who made it, nice guy, and he has offered to post pics. So, anyone wants to see pics, just ask, and I'll have him send them to me to post.

The nice thing about that one also is the fact that it uses regular industrial razor blades available at any hardware store. I think the Hansen uses a special blade available only from Hansen.

The nice thing about that one also is the fact that it uses regular industrial razor blades available at any hardware store. I think the Hansen uses a special blade available only from Hansen.

Hmmm the Hansen looks like it uses standard injector type blades like the cheap plastic lace maker does, also fairly easy to get. Not as easy as the box knife ones though. I do like that the Hansen splitter uses a blade you sharpen vs toss and replace. The disposable ones are sure easy though.

I would love to see more pics of this one though. Is it the maker selling it on ebay or someone else? Does he have a website?

Don't think he's got a website. It's him selling it on eBay. I'll ask him for some photos, and when he sends them to me I'll post them.

I asked him to join here and I hope he will. We need good tool makers! I'd bet he was an engineer or something - this is a really well-made machine.

Well I sure like what I see of the Hansen and it has a hell of track record, but on the other hand I sure would like to keep 300 more dollars in my pocket and this does look like it would do the job. Certainly better than my $10 lace maker I have been using.

I to was looking at that one on ebay & would like to see more photo's. Also would like to see pic's of that first generation one. Making a cutter and beveler is not a problem, it's coming up with a good plan to make the splitter side I am still working out that part. Have to talk with my machinist buddies.

Al

Hello,

My name is Clint Sims i live in Glen Rose Tx. I am a whipmaker and a braider. I make the tools that are sold on e-bay that you are discussing it appears that some of you have already bought one of the original style, but i think that the one Ms. (horsehairbraider) bought is better for making finer work, i think the string side is better since you can resize easier with it. I have been working on this tool for several years and trying to improve it. I am going to ((((((try)))))) to post the instruction pics in this forum. Please feel free to offer any opinions or suggestions as i am trying to make the best tool I can for a fair price that everyone can afford.

thanks Clint

clintsims@gmail.com

type2_1.jpg

type2_2.jpg

type2_3.jpg

type2_4.jpg

type2_5.jpg

type2_6.jpg

type2_7.jpg

type2_8.jpg

post-10027-1238555092_thumb.jpg

post-10027-1238555125_thumb.jpg

post-10027-1238555153_thumb.jpg

post-10027-1238555169_thumb.jpg

post-10027-1238555182_thumb.jpg

post-10027-1238555197_thumb.jpg

post-10027-1238555213_thumb.jpg

post-10027-1238555232_thumb.jpg

Hi Clint! :welcome: So good to see you here, and terrific job on posting all those pics! I sure hope you'll stick around and share your work and insights with us.

You've made a very nice tool here and I agree, it is very easy to adjust to the finest measurements. I really look forward to working with it and getting some proficiency at it.

Hi Clint and welcome aboard.

Thanks for posting the pictures. It really showed me the tool you make and how effective it is. I personally do not have one but it looks to be well thought out. The best and most effective tools are made by those that use them and made them out of necessity.

Thanks again,

Joe

Neat tool. I don't think I have ever seen a beveler quite like that one. I like the looks of this version even better than the one recently on ebay.

Clint

That is a nice looking cutter/bevler. You've done a great job on building it!! And the price is real reasonable kind of makes me wish I didn't already have a cutter/bevler. Once again great job!

Mike

Nice cutter/beveler you've built there Clint. Bet you make a sharp whip too. Are you working on making any splitters?

Nice cutter/beveler you've built there Clint. Bet you make a sharp whip too. Are you working on making any splitters?

Look a little closer this tool splits too:

type2_7.jpg

I think I see one of these in my future.

I'm telling you, the splitter/skiver/whatever you want to call it, is awesome. Very effortless. I had no trouble with stuff cutting in half.

I've had a chance to cut some lace now and this is my favorite lace cutter. It's simple to get it to your exact measurement. It's easy to put the blade in, although I'm using mine a little differently than he suggests. Also since everything is open I've had no trouble controlling my lace going through.

I have not yet tried beveling but it looks pretty easy to do.

So far I am very favorably impressed with this tool!

Megabit

I think you are right. Tomorrow might to be soon enough. Building a cutter & beveler is not a problem,but to build that quality @ that price would be hard. Then still need the splitter, so time to take the plunge & quit doodling plans on paper.

Al

Yes i started another one tonight after work, it will be a few days, it takes 6 or 7 hrs. to build one of the 2nd generation type tools.

I will post when i have it ready.

thanks Clint

Look a little closer this tool splits too:

type2_7.jpg

I think I see one of these in my future.

I didn't see that Megabit, very nice indeed. Sure fire all-in-one lace/string maker.

hey clint i emailed you a while back when i was going to start the braiding class down range but i was out for a while are you going to post another one soon, let me know please!!

hey clint i emailed you a while back when i was going to start the braiding class down range but i was out for a while are you going to post another one soon, let me know please!!

Hey lilpep,

It's good to hear from you, i am currently working of five tool in my shop and they are about 75% complete i can have one ready in a day or so if you are ready, just let me know. You can call me at 254-396-3011 or e-mail me at clintsims@gmail.com

thanks Clint