Timbo

Leather Covered Canteen Tutorial

That is a beautiful canteen Timbo!!!

Thanks for putting a great tut together and sharing some tricks and tips!!!

Tom

Thanks to everyone for all the kind words, I am glad everyone likes it and are getting some tips to use too.

Thanks again,

Tim

Just thought I'd post up some pics of another canteen I just completed. The edge of this one is scalloped and pear shaded. I am also including a pic of the collar I made to go under the cap to hide the blue canteen. On the back of it i made a hole thru one of the scallops to attach the lid leash to.

Tim

scalcant.JPG

scalcant2.JPG

scalcant3.JPG

post-5218-1238978749_thumb.jpg

post-5218-1238978764_thumb.jpg

post-5218-1238978780_thumb.jpg

Thanks so much Tim!

This was an excellent tutorial! I learned things that I can use for other projects too!

A1!!!

Art

:You_Rock_Emoticon:

Most excellent tutorial.

From a to z with tips and tricks, I like the one with the drill press.

Thanks this is a keeper.

:rockon:

Ever since I've seen them in the Cowboy Chronicle and other places I've wanted to attempt one of these. I did go to campmore but they are unavailable now. I have a stainless steel one I found online somewhere (re-enactment site) and will have to use it I suppose.

GREAT tutorial - THE BEST!!

Can I ask you; what kind of stamping tools do you use and how do you keep your Awls blades sharp for going thru two thicknesses of leather?

Thanks,

Great and thorough tutorial. This will be my first attempt as a beginner if I can get hold of those canteens. As a bowhunter I would like to attach it to my waist any ideas? I am sure that my friends would also like one if they see it. With all the work that goes into it how much would you sell one for?

Wow, sorry guys, didn't know I had questions to answer......sorry. Keeping the awl blade sharp is done on a whet stone.....pretty fine one too. then I buff it to make sure it is smooth and polished. Then I strop it on my leather strop and do that off and on while using it too. The key to an awl is sharp but mainly smooth.

As for using it for bowhunting......I would probably just made 2 short straps with snaps on them and snap it on my belt.......or make a longer strap and sling it across my chest.

The custom canteens I sell for 130.

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the tutorial, especially for sharing the trick about positioning the letter-stamps. It works wonderful and helped me a lot.

Greetings from Germany (and excuse my bad english)

Lisa

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the tutorial, especially for sharing the trick about positioning the letter-stamps. It works wonderful and helped me a lot.

Greetings from Germany (and excuse my bad english)

Lisa

Glad you like it and found a use for something in the post. (and your english is fine)

Tim

A really great description. I love your secret circle lettering jig. very clever.

Thanks for sharing

Alex

many thanks for these detailed instructions - they have made a lot of work -

I can learn a lot in this community - please many such instructions, :-))!

face book : oresteleder

Edited by oreste

Timbo, Don't know if this is from 2009 or more recent, In any event it is without a doubt the most complete tutorial I have found, and in my humble opinion I think all these here have been great. great, Now I want to make one for myself

simply because of your Canteen tutorial. Thank you so much for posting your process. Wild Bill46

Thanks for this very thorough tutorial. As a beginner in this craft I definitely have learned a lot, and appreciate your willingness to share your experience.

I do have one question about the finish. Is the stain you used water based? I have used water based ecoflow stains before with poor results on the finish. Especially getting them to not run when wet. Is olive oil all you used to finish? How much and how many coats? Any way thank you in advance for answering my question.

Sorry guys, haven't been around much in the last couple years. This tutorial has been up for quite awhile, and I appreciate all the comments and am glad you folks are getting some good pointers from it. As for stain and finish, I have a distain for "eco" anything. I use Feibings oil dye and for the canteens I just give them a coat or 2 of EVOO. Sometimes I'll use Bee Natural Rudys. 

If anybody has any questions and want a quicker answer than a couple years, just email me at drunkhorsecustomleather@gmail.com

Bravo, very clean and nice work,I see the number of hours it represents...

Great work and very detailed, thank you!