Hi All

Coming here for help as you folks seem to have a wealth of knowledge on these old saddle companies. I have found lots of info on this maker what I am interested in is getting a style dated as close as can be. I will post some pics tomorrow. But I will describe it for now.

The saddle is a slick fork, 14" seat, the seat is stamped N Porter, Phonix Arizona. From what I have gathered it should be stamped in 4 other places, if this is true I am unable to find them. It also has a J stamped in the horn cap. The off side hanger has the # 260 stamped in it, I will asume this may be a style #. It has no tooling at all other than what has been stated, as I figure the tooled flank cinch is off of something else. Any info will be greatly appreciated. also when the pics get posted I want you to tell you me what you feel has been changed & is not original.

Al

Got the pics sooner than I thought. The last photo is of the tooling on the flank cinch I am shure it doesn't belong with this saddle.

000_0510.jpg

000_0511.jpg

000_0512.jpg

post-9640-1238287880_thumb.jpg

post-9640-1238287935_thumb.jpg

post-9640-1238287991_thumb.jpg

here are more. more coming

000_0513.jpg

000_0514.jpg

post-9640-1238288586_thumb.jpg

post-9640-1238288652_thumb.jpg

couple more

000_0515.jpg

000_0516.jpg

post-9640-1238288808_thumb.jpg

post-9640-1238288874_thumb.jpg

one more to come

000_0517.jpg

post-9640-1238290193_thumb.jpg

last photo. I am sure it does not belong with saddle, but do wounder if it is the porter style.

000_0520.jpg

post-9640-1238290600_thumb.jpg

Here is a photo of a paper tag that was attached under the rear rigging leather. If anyone can tell us something about this name. Not shure if it is a Porter or a Parker signiture. Found it while I was tearing down so that can give it a really good cleaning. Re line the skirts, etc.

Thanks AL

000_0522.jpg

post-9640-1238352307_thumb.jpg

Edited by colttrainer

That is the name of the saddlemaker who made the saddle in Porter's shop. You will find these tags on lots of Porter saddles. Judging by the style of things I would think your saddle was late 40's to early 50's. Greg

Would that tag not idicate june 1927, and possibly the other number indicating what number the saddle was in the production cycle? I no not what they where indicating just a guess.

What is something like this worth?

Al

Not sure on the june 27 thing. it would more like be workorder 6127 or something like that. The cantle is what is refered to as a comfort cantle, so with that and a few other style things like the horn, swell and cantle height I really believe my first date estimate is more realistic. As for value it would be worth what you could get for it. For a collectable saddle to bring the big money it needs to be in Pristine original condition, or by a handful of very sought after makers in good original condition, or to have provanence documenting its history with a significant person or event. Greg

Edited by greg gomersall

Thanks for that, had not thought about it as a work order #. I clean it up and see if I can make a dollar on it.