SteveJ

Pennsylvania Dutch Design Bag for a Smoothbore Flintlock

A gentleman contacted me to incorporate a Pennsylvania Dutch design that he had found into a bag for his smoothbore flintlock. I have done some folkart and Native American designs before , but this was something new for me. I still have some finish work to do , but this is what I came up with. He seems to be pleased , so I guess that's all that matters. It turned out to be a bit of a bugger.

HPIM0824.JPG

HPIM0822.JPG

post-1356-1238432580_thumb.jpg

post-1356-1238432689_thumb.jpg

Looks very nice! I think all bags are a bugger, at least the one I've finished and the one cut out on the bench right now waiting to be sewn together. Do you have any pics of the inside pf the bag or with the flap up? Would love to see them.

Warren

Sorry Warren, I don't have any pics of the inside. There is just a deep pocket sewn to the front panel, and a pocket sewn to the back panel. Nothing fancy. He just wanted a large bag for all the accoutrements for his smoothbore. I also had made up bags for shot and ball, and also for carrying wads, overshot cards , and patches. They all snuggle nicely into the main bag leaving the pockets free for carrying all the little things you need for a flintlock.

Real nice "possibles" bag SteveJ!

The dutch design is classic and you pulled it off beautifully

Real nice "possibles" bag SteveJ!

The dutch design is classic and you pulled it off beautifully

Thank you very much. I had never been given a design from a antique trunk and asked to adapt it to fit a bag before.

No need to apologize Steve. I don't always remember to take the pictures I want of my work, much less what anybody else wants to see. I have just started trying my hand at possibles bags and shooting pouches, so I am curious how everybody else lays things out. Hope mine look as good as yours some day. Hope to see more of your work in the future!

Warren

very nice work, i like it a lot

ken

very nice work, i like it a lot

ken

Thanks Ken, I appreciate it

I reenact that time and place myself and have a halfstock 12-gauge "fowler." The work is very nice and looks like 'candle-wicking.' Candle-wicking is stitching a design with no other purpose than to decorate with a thick white thread that looks like a candle wick...hence the name. The PA Dutch design is 'right on!' Congratulations.

Sparks

I reenact that time and place myself and have a halfstock 12-gauge "fowler." The work is very nice and looks like 'candle-wicking.' Candle-wicking is stitching a design with no other purpose than to decorate with a thick white thread that looks like a candle wick...hence the name. The PA Dutch design is 'right on!' Congratulations.

Sparks

Thank you very much Sparks. Like I had said , this was kind of a new design for me . But I do like the way it turned out. I have since found quite a few Penn Dutch designs that I was able to adapt to flap decorations. Learning something new is still fun, and challenging too