faceOdd

Two new masks

Hello! I've been a mask-making maniac lately with a big science fiction/fantasy convention coming right up. I've been making 4-7 masks a day - crazy!

I won't bore with you with all of them, but I wanted to share these two.

My friend knows I pick up every piece of scrap metal in my path, and eventually find a use for it. While he was in Prague last year, he found a piece of a broken gear and brought it back for me. I used it to make the dragon's 'scales'.

The owl was originally just an owl. At the women's conference last month there was a very nice lady crocheting with her glasses on the tip of her nose. She kept looking down through her glasses and then back up as we talked about sewing, costuming, etc. When I got home, I had an idea. I had a pair of 1890's Oxford spectacles that were missing the nose pads, and I'd never gotten around to getting them replaced. Looking at the owl mask, I wondered how the specs would look with it... perfect, I think. I stitched the glasses to the beak and added the little chain. The great thing is, it's functional too. When wearing the mask you can look through the eye holes straight ahead or look down through the glasses and actually use them. They're approximately 1.25 reading glasses.

I suppose I should figure out what to make next - trolls, aliens, faeries, more dragons? Or maybe a big dish of chocolate ice cream : )

~Tammy

Dragon_White_Gold.jpg

Specs_Owl_side.jpg

post-5797-1204779921_thumb.jpg

post-5797-1204779938_thumb.jpg

love 'em! the owl reminds me of a character that was in the book (or at least the series the book's from) "a wind in the door".

Thanks! I'm not familiar with that book - I'll have to look it up!

Your new masks are great!

~Tammy

OMG you do the nose thing!!! NICE!!!

excellent tammy, love the glasses

Cool stuff!

First one reminds me of those masks that doctor's from the 1700' eds (18th century I believe for many of you here) used to wear with a long nose thingie stuffed with herbs and stuff ( Ithink think it was that century).

The owl is just spot on aswell, for me a Swedish children tv show comes to mind and the owl of winnie the poo, doesn't he wear spectacles too?

Good work!

Tom

Spider, I've been going a little crazy with noses lately - the bigger the better, it seems! I just started making ears, too.

Troll_1_side.jpg

Untitled_1.jpg

Mer_King.jpg

Roo, I was originally thinking 'Mother Goose' when I had the glasses and mask idea, but I didn't have leather at the time to make a goose. So I 'cheated' and used the owl. In retrospect, I think it was the better choice. I don't like the oval eye openings with the round glasses, but I suppose it makes it more anthropomorphic.

Tom, it's funny that you mention the plague doctor mask - I'm working on a variation of it at the moment! I misplaced the eye pieces so I couldn't finish it yesterday. I think a lot of cartoon owls wear glasses, but as far as I can remember they're all male. This owl seems female to me. The pearl chain is easily removable though, so I suppose it could be either male or female.

Thank you all for your comments, and the inspiration you provide with your amazing leatherwork!

~Tammy

Troll_1.jpg

post-5797-1204814113_thumb.jpg

post-5797-1204815075_thumb.jpg

post-5797-1204815109_thumb.jpg

post-5797-1204815420_thumb.jpg

Edited by TCLeathercraft

Tom, it's funny that you mention the plague doctor mask - I'm working on a variation of it at the moment! I misplaced the eye pieces so I couldn't finish it yesterday. I think a lot of cartoon owls wear glasses, but as far as I can remember they're all male. This owl seems female to me. The pearl chain is easily removable though, so I suppose it could be either male or female.

~Tammy

Oh I'm really looking forward to the plaguedoctor mask those are so cool. Give's me chills up my spine, must have met with those in past lives! Those were worn 'cuz it was believed that diseases were spread via odours so a touch of smell from herbs and spices would be a neat feature for finished product.

Tom

I love the textures you get, and the glasses are just the right touch!

These are wonderful masks. I love the textures and colors of each one. They're all so smooth and polished, they almost seem ceramic!

TomSwede,

It turns out that I cut the eye openings a tiny bit too large for the eye pieces I was hoping to use because when I shaped it, one popped out. Later, I cut too far into a gas mask while making a pair of goggles for a helmet. Being the opportunist I am, I created a different version of the Plague Doctor than the one I was envisioning. It's not very photogenic, and hopefully it's not too scary! I think it's kinda cute. I promise to make the original version I had in mind as soon as I get a chance; I think it'll be more along the lines of what you've described. It'll be based on the famous wood block print by... oh, I can't think of his name! It's on Wikipedia, under Black Plague.

Plague_Doctor___I.jpg

Tom B,

I could spend hours looking at your creations on your website! You have such a wide range of talents! My intended direction seems to be similar to your path: I bought the History of Costume and plan to make helmets, Ren shoes, and all sorts of other antiquated pieces. When I have time to work on my next pair of shoes, I may have a couple questions for you.

The textures are my compromise for not using a bunch of flashy colors. I prefer a more subtle visual aesthetic, but with some sort of detail. Lately I've been looking at everything I come across to see if it might add a fun texture to my work. Obsessed, I think. : )

Alex,

My 'ceramic' look is achieved by adding a metallic paint - usually silver, but sometiems gold, pewter or copper - to my base color while it's still a little wet. When it's dry I buff it with a piece of nylon stocking. I prefer not to airbrush, so I've been trying really hard to perfect my painting technique instead. I'm happy with the results lately.

I have to sew some bags for a boutique in my neighborhood, so no masks for awhile. I look forward to looking at everyone else's beautiful work though!

Have a great week-end!

~Tammy

post-5797-1204863625_thumb.jpg

That's the image I always envision in my mind when hearing about or thinking about those "doctors".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Doktorschnabel_430px.jpg

The eyes look very nice on this mask but I think the nose has more of a mosquito touch to it.

Some projects needs some maturing, it'll come to you in time.

I saw Tom B's Commedia del' arte (did I get that right?) mask and it has a nose that look very close to what you want I think.

Good luck with the bags!

Tom

Well this is just too much fun! I work pretty isolated from other artists, and its great to find others working along the same lines. Definitely I will be making a leather mask soon. Tammy, you are more than welcome to ask me about shoes or whatever. I'm happy to share my knowledge.

TomSwede,

It turns out that I cut the eye openings a tiny bit too large for the eye pieces I was hoping to use because when I shaped it, one popped out. Later, I cut too far into a gas mask while making a pair of goggles for a helmet. Being the opportunist I am, I created a different version of the Plague Doctor than the one I was envisioning. It's not very photogenic, and hopefully it's not too scary! I think it's kinda cute. I promise to make the original version I had in mind as soon as I get a chance; I think it'll be more along the lines of what you've described. It'll be based on the famous wood block print by... oh, I can't think of his name! It's on Wikipedia, under Black Plague.

Plague_Doctor___I.jpg

Tom B,

I could spend hours looking at your creations on your website! You have such a wide range of talents! My intended direction seems to be similar to your path: I bought the History of Costume and plan to make helmets, Ren shoes, and all sorts of other antiquated pieces. When I have time to work on my next pair of shoes, I may have a couple questions for you.

The textures are my compromise for not using a bunch of flashy colors. I prefer a more subtle visual aesthetic, but with some sort of detail. Lately I've been looking at everything I come across to see if it might add a fun texture to my work. Obsessed, I think. : )

Alex,

My 'ceramic' look is achieved by adding a metallic paint - usually silver, but sometiems gold, pewter or copper - to my base color while it's still a little wet. When it's dry I buff it with a piece of nylon stocking. I prefer not to airbrush, so I've been trying really hard to perfect my painting technique instead. I'm happy with the results lately.

I have to sew some bags for a boutique in my neighborhood, so no masks for awhile. I look forward to looking at everyone else's beautiful work though!

Have a great week-end!

~Tammy

I soooooo Love these goggles.... :notworthy:

"The eyes look very nice on this mask but I think the nose has more of a mosquito touch to it".

The thing is, I intentionally made it so long and slender and without a bottom... lip? or whatever the lower beak is called... and I kept wondering to myself why. I almost shortened it, I almost widened it, and at one point I even removed it but then I stitched it back on again. I kept it thin and long and had no idea why - until you called it a mosquito. I wanted to make something that was rooted in history but with a contemporary feel, and the Black Death was so long ago. West Nile Virus, however, is definitely a scary contemporary illness. Now I know what to call it! Thank you! (He's actually kinda cute in real life).

And yes, we were thinking of the same Plague Doctor. I think I'll try that with the sewn-inside beak like the Italian one Tom made. I'll need to make the hat, too - but first, I've been commissioned to make a top hat. Which I have NO idea how to do, so it'll be a fun learning adventure : )

~Tammy

Glad I could be at help and good point there with west nile virus, that was clever!

Good luck with that hat, I'm sure you'll get it allright!

Tom

-

I suppose I should figure out what to make next - trolls, aliens, faeries, more dragons? Or maybe a big dish of chocolate ice cream

LOVE the Owl, looks like my Great Aunt Dolores! How about a bat & wings? My daughter thinks you should do a 'fox' mask, like the owl but hairier, come to think of it, THAT would look more like my great aunt!

Beautiful work, can't wait to see more.

- but first, I've been commissioned to make a top hat. Which I have NO idea how to do, so it'll be a fun learning adventure : )

~Tammy

Tophatpattern.jpg

Tammy,

If I may be so bold, as a once upon a time professional hat maker (including top hats), I offer this advice. The picture shows a rough pattern of a top hat--not to scale. Two things you may not think of. The brim should dip down in the front and back, and go up on the sides. This is accomplished by two things. Notice the bottom of the crown pattern has wave to it. This is important to the shape of the brim. Second, if you use thin enough leather you can sew a spring steel wire into the edge of the brim, which will keep the brim in shape. I call it the potato chip effect. If you just sew the wire in it won't do anything special, but if you force it larger than it wants to be, it will bend like a potato chip, and that combined with the crown shape is the secret to having a great looking hat. This works also for Western style hats. The wire being too large for the brim forces it to bend up and down.

This pattern is for a stovepipe hat--straight up and down. If you want the top to be wider or narrower--both fashionable at one time--you simply give the overall crown pattern a curve, ie. a smile or a frown. Ask questions if this isn't clear.

God, I love these masks... keep em coming and I'll keep smilin' :D

Sorry for the delay in response! My post was moved and I just stumbled upon it today.

TomSwede, you may be interested to know that 'West Nile' was bought by a nice young man who had a special affinity for it because his ancestors were immune to the Black Plague, and so they were 'Plague Doctors'. His story gave me chills! I may not make the original design now, out of respect.

Cybertracy, I haven't tried a bat with wings yet because a lot of other mask-makers have already done this - but maybe I can think of a way to make it somehow unique. It'll be a fun challenge! And a fox... I'll give that a try, too. Thank you for the suggestions!

Banwell, thank you SO MUCH for the top hat information! I'll start working on this soon. Are there any good hat-making books you can recommend? Many people want to custom-order my aviator cap, but I don't know how to make my little hat pattern larger in such a way that it'll still fit a larger head properly. Especially when they say they wear 7 1/4 or whatever.

Pip, thank you for the compliment! At the moment I'm pursuing an insane plan to open a tiny storefront and classroom location - I get the keys on Monday! As soon as I get the extra stuff out of my workshop, I'll be able to make masks again. Right now, all I can get to is the computer : )

~Tammy

Wow Tammy! That is so cool, the mask really found it's way to the right owner. I get chills to but have to admit that it's the cold draft I have at the moment (open window, Sweden, winter=cold), lol.

I'm really happy for you and things seem to be spinning your way now. Carpe diem-Seize the day...okay I do it in Swedish aswell, fånga dagen!

Wish you all well and good luck!

Tom

I been studying and rescuing bats for more years than i care to count......For a bat mask, of truly bizarre proprtions take a look at spear nosed bats, mastiff bats, tube nosed bats, hondurus tent making bats rather than sticking to the vampire, or long eared like hollywood seems to. Also proboscis bats look like lichen.... Could Go for a face plate and nose covering eyes, sticky up ears with furry body over scalp wings curled under towards chin and tail and feet over the back of the head, that'll be a bit ..... different.A bat hat.... dunna dunna dunna dunna derThe chineese believe bats to be lucky indeed and on Bali they are worshipped as gods for good reason.....Good luck, There is nothing so precious as memories, except for those that make them...