Sign in to follow this  
Boots

Butt cover

Okay, finally got the nerve to post something. Here is a butt cover for a shotgun that I made for a CAS shooter friend. Comments/critiques appreciated. End cap is box stitched to cover grain side out to help with slippage. 5/6 oz leather, Neatsfoot and Satin Sheen finish.

P4010001.JPG

P4010002.JPG

P4010001.JPG

post-6935-1238603447_thumb.jpg

post-6935-1238603458_thumb.jpg

post-6935-1238603469_thumb.jpg

Very nice. It is funny that I see this post because I am planning on putting one a similar pattern project for our local guild possibly in June or July. I am not a fan of oak leaves, but I must say that it came out very nice.

Great job. :You_Rock_Emoticon:

Very nice work. A great way to add the leather look to another great hobby, firearms. Now I'm thinking I will have to make one. Did you just measure and build it, or did you work from a pattern?

Also where you have the end cap sewn in, is the seam raised? Did you put any padding under it to soften the kick? How does it feel when you shoot?

Good job. Thanks for posting.

Randahl

Very nice indeed! :clapping:

Warren

I think Admin is planting subliminal messages or something...

I just finished mine for my rifle a week ago. I'll probably remake it since I goofed the lacing going around the toe, then botched the dye job to boot.

Here's mine that I did some time back. I think I've improved on my oakleaves since then, but it is what it is. I think they add a nice touch to a butt.

2009_04060002.JPG

2009_04060003.JPG

post-4990-1239114346_thumb.jpg

post-4990-1239114365_thumb.jpg

Very nice work. A great way to add the leather look to another great hobby, firearms. Now I'm thinking I will have to make one. Did you just measure and build it, or did you work from a pattern?

Also where you have the end cap sewn in, is the seam raised? Did you put any padding under it to soften the kick? How does it feel when you shoot?

Good job. Thanks for posting.

Randahl

I just measured and built a paper pattern test fitting and redrawing until I got it to look like I wanted.

The end cap is butt stitched so it there is no ridge to cut into your shoulder. Since this gun is used in competition, it is used mainly to keep the gun from shifting on the shoulder during rapid fire and reloading. there is no padding since target loads are used instead of hunting loads. Plus, in the heat of the moment, you don't really feel the recoil since you are focusing on the follow up shot/reloading.