Warren

Cartridge Belt and Holster

Hey guys, long time no see! Have been very busy so I've just been reading new posts as I get time. Thought everyone would like to see this so here it is. I had already posted this holster last year when I finished it, but the pictures aren't in the post anymore and I finished the belt just in time for Christmas. I just now got my son to get them off his camera for me, so I'm posting them 3 months late. Go figure! I think the belt and holster look good together. And before anyone asks there are 44 cartridge loops all sewn individually by hand. Took me two full days and my hands hurt for two more days after the fact. Hope you like 'em.

Warren :wave:

brad01.jpg

brad02.jpg

brad03.jpg

brad04.jpg

brad05.jpg

brad06.jpg

brad07.jpg

brad08.jpg

post-5168-1238642282_thumb.jpg

post-5168-1238642296_thumb.jpg

post-5168-1238642306_thumb.jpg

post-5168-1238642316_thumb.jpg

post-5168-1238642326_thumb.jpg

post-5168-1238642343_thumb.jpg

post-5168-1238642353_thumb.jpg

post-5168-1238642362_thumb.jpg

Very nice job,it appears that you folded a single piece of leather to make the main belt thicker as i only see one stitch line.Is there a reason for that or was it just for looks.

I really like the looks of that! Clean lines - something that could really be put to work. Nice job!!

WARREN...........VERY VERY NICE. :cowboy:

Very nice job,it appears that you folded a single piece of leather to make the main belt thicker as i only see one stitch line.Is there a reason for that or was it just for looks.

Yes, it is one piece folded over. It is a recreation of a money belt that would have been popular in the 1870's. Most people carried gold and silver coins of various denominations in them. If you look at the close up picture of the buckle you will see a slot cut through both layers of the belt. This lets the billet come through and close off the open end on the belt so that your money can't fall out. It was one of the best ways to keep the pickpockets at bay, just not a very convenient to carry all of your money. Would have been hard to get to each time you needed it.

Thanks for the comments guys! Glad you like them.

Warren

Edited by Warren

Awsome gunrig!!!

Love the rich lustrous look you got on the leather.

Tom

Nice job Warren!

I really like it.

Karl

Warren ,just by chance have you tried filling the Gun Belt with 1/2 or Silvers Dollars

just to feel the weight that an old cowboy might have carried One time.

Very nice! One of the nicest examples of the Mexican double-loop style I've seen! I especially like the flare between the loops. Looks unique to me and could only add to locking the holster in place I would think.

Richard

Again thanks for the compliments guys! Makes it worth while to have people who know leather like what you do!

Luke, we put about 10 or 12 silver dollars that my mom had in it the night I gave it to my brother and along with the cartridges (even if they are just .22 mags) it made the thing pretty hefty in your hand. Surprisingly it was very pleasant to wear. The weight settles on your hips and isn't bad at all. Might be different if you wore it day and night though.

Richard, the flare between the loops was fairly common on holsters from the 1870's on and was put there just for the reason you said. You can make a two loop holster without the flair and it will work fine if the leather is stiff enough. I'm working on a single loop holster right now with an oval loop instead of a straight one. It's for a short barreled gun so only one loop but I still put in some flare below the loop. I get most of my ideas/patterns from the book "Packing Iron" and pictures of antique holsters that I've found on the web and other places. Same thing for the belts.

Tom, Tankote over Fiebings antique stain and lots of hand rubbing.

Thanks again, Warren.

Beautiful workmanship, I REALLY like it. I've been checking out all the holsters and belts I can as my next project is going to be a cartridge belt with matching holster, any advice you guys could share would be greatly appreciated. I'm thinking of using two pieces of stirrup strap for the body but haven't decided if I want the billet style for the buckle or just the tapered ends.

Exceptionally fine piece of work!

Steve

Thanks for the compliments guys, I really appreciate all the kind words. Glad you like em!

Warren

Warren that is very fine work!Packing Iron is my Second bible for sure,I only have one Tip...When sewing on your billet,refrain from sewing across that strap,as it weakens the strap.Sew parallel to edges and around the end only, that way you have maximum strength at that critical point! Otherwise a wonderful recreation of the classic money belt!

Very nice work, indeed, my friend. I know the pain of hand stitching those cartridge loops. I've been thinking for awhile about coming up with a better way to do it so I can use my stitcher. I don't like the idea of the thread going across where the cartridge goes. That could wear out with a lot of use. I don't like the slots, because of the bulk on the inside of the belt.

I'm thinking about a strip of leather about a half inch wider than the loops, which would be wide enough to get the stitcher by the loops with slots for the loops instead of stitching. Then stitch the strip to the belt.

Warren,

Great work, and show of patience on the .22 WMR loops. Bully.

Go2Tex,

Please explain further?

Very nice work, indeed, my friend. I know the pain of hand stitching those cartridge loops. I've been thinking for awhile about coming up with a better way to do it so I can use my stitcher. I don't like the idea of the thread going across where the cartridge goes. That could wear out with a lot of use. I don't like the slots, because of the bulk on the inside of the belt.

I'm thinking about a strip of leather about a half inch wider than the loops, which would be wide enough to get the stitcher by the loops with slots for the loops instead of stitching. Then stitch the strip to the belt.

Hey Brent! There's some of the leather I got from you on there. The billets on this belt and the other one I have posted on the forum are made from what I got from you. That box of scraps I got from you was money well spent!

Do you have a picture of what your talking about? I would be really interested in seeing it if you do.

Again thanks to all for compliments!

Warren

I understand what your thinking about there but do you think with the weaving of the loops behind it that you would be able to get a uniformed look once you stitch it to the belt? I recently came across a belt with something like your thinking but it actual may have had the loops stitched on and then the whole piece stitched to the belt. I'll try to find it and post a picture.

Hey guys, long time no see! Have been very busy so I've just been reading new posts as I get time. Thought everyone would like to see this so here it is. I had already posted this holster last year when I finished it, but the pictures aren't in the post anymore and I finished the belt just in time for Christmas. I just now got my son to get them off his camera for me, so I'm posting them 3 months late. Go figure! I think the belt and holster look good together. And before anyone asks there are 44 cartridge loops all sewn individually by hand. Took me two full days and my hands hurt for two more days after the fact. Hope you like 'em.

Warren :wave:

I don't know much about gun belts, but I think this looks sweet. :You_Rock_Emoticon:. Very nice work. It looks very "wild west" authentic.

Dan

I understand what your thinking about there but do you think with the weaving of the loops behind it that you would be able to get a uniformed look once you stitch it to the belt? I recently came across a belt with something like your thinking but it actual may have had the loops stitched on and then the whole piece stitched to the belt. I'll try to find it and post a picture.

Yep, you put the loops through the strap first, then stitch the strap to the belt.