JohnBarton

How to make a box pocket with a wrap around zipper.

I don't know if any of you ever need to make a box pocket that can be opened all the way. In my business the customers like the clean sharp look of the box pocket. But a lot of folks don't like the fact that these pockets are hard to get into with only a single side zipper.

So here is my solution.

What needs to be done is to split the box pocket into two halves. Then you have an upper part that looks like the lid of a shoe box.

Here are pictures - don't mind the stain it's just water to help shape the sides for the purpose of this tutorial. We also did not cut a v-groove to make the corners sharper but obviously we would on a customer ordered case.

Top View: You can see that the rectangle looks the same as any other box pocket. Notice that the zipper is not visible.

P4030439.JPG

Side View: You can see here that the pocket opens from the upper left corner down to the lower right corner. Notice the rivets in the corners above and below the zipper.

P4030441.JPG

P4030442.JPG

P4030443.JPG

THE TRICK: ( I would never be allowed in the magician's guild)

You want to add TWO layers of leather INSIDE the pocket on each side of the split pocket. Then sew your zipper to that and it will bring the zipper chain INSIDE the width of the pocket and allow it just enough radius to zip around the corner without sticking or damaging the zipper. The sleight of hand I referred to earlier is that since you are moving the zipper into the pocket it allows the top to have the clean structured look that people love and still get the functionality that people want.

P4030444.JPG

P4030445.JPG

This is the model of case that this pocket would be used on:

2008-020a%20F.jpg

Thanks for sharing some of your techniques, John. I'm sure this will clear up some questions for a lot of people.

Thanks John, You answered a couple of mine already. lessons from the pros are always great and well appreciated. thanks again, James

Thanks for sharing John,

I think I've learned and developed my own skills more from observing what you've so generously shared, than anything

I've learned from a book.

I once heard it said that a true craftsman is never afraid to give up their secrets, if only because that will give them more competition to prove themselves against.

Thanks again John, you're a boon to this forum

:You_Rock_Emoticon:

Thanks John

Very helpfull

Josh

So the purpose of the second piece of leather inside is only to move the zipper that much further away from the outside, visible part of the pocket? Is that right?

The purpose of the two extra pieces of leather is to move the zipper corner farther away from a true right angle and give it more room to clear the corner without hanging up. Basically the more you move it inside the corner the easier is turns the corner.

Also moving it inside allows the pocket to retain a sharp box look to it.

Theoretically you could make some sort of insert to make the corner inside have a real radius to it but I found that the way I show works easily and the zipper never hangs.

This is good stuff!

Thanks JB for shaving about 24125 years off my learning curve.

Does the extra leather have to be in two pieces or can it be one piece that rounds the corner? It's a good 'trick' :You_Rock_Emoticon: