Sign in to follow this  
pete

1-1/2" belt pattern if you like

David, Clay, Bruce, et.al. Please critique this pattern if you would. Re-draw if you can- if anyone likes it it's free!!!

It's my first attempt at a serious pattern. \Enjoy!

Picture_1.png

post-520-1204857349_thumb.png

David, Clay, Bruce, et.al. Please critique this pattern if you would. Re-draw if you can- if anyone likes it it's free!!!

It's my first attempt at a serious pattern. \Enjoy!

Nice job, it has taken me 4 years to get brave enough to attempt to draw my own. At least you were much smarter than I, by doing a belt strip. My first attempt is a pattern to cover a box that is 36" wide X 20" high X 19 deep. All sides have a different scenery pattern to them. A few parts of them started out from old doodle pages or others patterns blown up. But in the month I have been working on these there is not much left on them now that has not been modified. Some of you will be able to pick out Robert Beard's scrolls, and some of Christine Stanley, Al Stohlman, Kat's K, parts to them. I willpost photos of them when I get it carved. Hope to get the Leather and start carving it soon.

Please critique this pattern if you would. Re-draw if you can-

Overall, I like it. I can't draw at all, so any creatitivity is always impressive to me. The main critique I would give is that you need slightly less background in the leafy area and more fill in.

Pete,

One of the things that happens when you start sketching things and loosening up is that you can kind of freak out when you suddenly put a limit on the space. Kind of like dancing out in a field then trying to dance in a prison cell. You can dance in a prison cell too. Not that I have tried.... or had the opportunity. Take your drawing and draw in your flow line. It is almost straight. I have attached three designs. Find thier flow lines. See the difference?

Focus on the flow the fill will just happen. I have attached a picture of some decretive cuts. On one side they are just cuts on the other I have put in a few more lines and suddenly a decretive cuts become a design. One of the things that makes a decretive cut work is that everything radiates from an imaginary point so they almost create an arrow. This concept is missing in your drawing.

If you can ever get up to Minnesota with a bunch of stuff you want to draw let me know. I'll throw you on a drawing table and help you get past your stuck points.

David Genadek

oakleafbelt.jpg

belt_pattern.jpg

valantinesbelt.jpg

d_cuts.jpg

post-999-1204994510_thumb.jpg

post-999-1204994521_thumb.jpg

post-999-1204994539_thumb.jpg

post-999-1204994556_thumb.jpg

David,

Those are nice patterns and a good basic tutorial! The flow is the first thing I emphasize to someone beginning the process of creating their own patterns. Before you draw anything, establish that flow line in pencil first. Whether it's a wave pattern in a belt or a full tooled saddle, I always figure what space I want to fill and put that flow line in. Then draw everything to flow into that wave or circle. In Sheridan style carving your swivel knife cuts are the most important aspect of your piece, and they must ever so gently blend into the flow line. For beginners, I have them study Chester Hape and Keith Seidel. They are two of the masters that exemplify the beauty of the cut line and how it should converge and fade into the flow. In time you will find it even easier to start drawing directly on the leather with a stylus. It seems like a daunting task at first, but the more you do it, you discover how natural it feels. I also encourage everyone to pick up the book, Sheridan Style Carving, by Bob Likewise. This book is worth it's weight in gold.

Jon