UKRay

How many leatherworkers are also musicians?

I was watching that great music video that RDB kindly linked us up to and wondered how many people on this forum are musicians. I've got no particular reason for asking other than sheer inquisitiveness. If you feel inclined then find a minute to tell the folks if you are a musician, what you play and maybe a bit about your music.

I'm possibly the world's worst guitar player but I do play every day for half an hour just to irritate my neighbour... occasionally I play harmonica if he has done something really bad to wind me up. I used to sing too but the noise upset me and the dog came close to leaving home. What do you do?

edit (as usual) due to my inability to spell - plus my inability to ignore it like a sensible person would...

Edited by UKRay

I play the Fool. My wife is musical, she used to teach the Organ and plays the piano and organ here at home. She can even sing. She tried to teach me to play but gave up in despair, although I was able to play Home on the Range one handed in the end!!!

Tony.

Piano, keyboards.

Art

I was watching that great music video that RDB kindly linked us up to and wondered how many people on this forum are musicians. I've got no particular reason for asking other than sheer inquisitiveness. If you feel inclined then find a minute to tell the folks if you are a musician, what you play and maybe a bit about your music.

I'm possibly the world's worst guitar player but I do play every day for half an hour just to irritate my neighbour... occasionally I play harmonica if he has done something really bad to wind me up. I used to sing too but the noise upset me and the dog came close to leaving home. What do you do?

edit (as usual) due to my inability to spell - plus my inability to ignore it like a sensible person would...

Guitar, and I still sing my kids to sleep just about every night. They still want me to. Go figure?

Johanna

They'll remember that forever. Maybe one will learn to play.

Art

Guitar, and I still sing my kids to sleep just about every night. They still want me to. Go figure?

Johanna

I play a mean kazoo and my husband has been known to sound musical after pickled eggs and beer.

Seriously, I have a harmonica, but every time I try to play it, the dog starts to howl.

I'm in the same or lesser league with you UK. I play my gibson really poorly and amazing grace on the harmonica till the puppies howl. Someday I will play some campfire songs and some blues that are at least recognizable.

I played trumpet (and misc brass) for 10 years through my sophomore year of college. I even started as a music major at school, but haven't touched my horn in over 6 years.

So, yes/no/maybe.

I can play my radio, but that's it!

The old cowboy who taught me to make saddles, was a real musician. When he got bored with leather work he'd serenade my wife and me with his guitar, or banjo, or ukelele, or fiddle, or harmonica, and probably some instruments I'm forgetting. When times were tough he used to make a few bucks playing at taverns and bars. Unfortunately, time has taken a toll on his hands and fingers so he doesn't play as much as he once did.

I play classical guitar....sorta. I don't have a classical guitar, so I play classical style on a steel string acoustic.

Singing? Forget it. The last time I sang in the shower, it was so bad even the water ran off.

I have been known to play the piano, guitar and flute. In our house though it's Mr. HorsehairBraider who is the professional musician, the guy can sing like an angel and plays guitar, bass, fiddle, harmonica, keyboards, mandolin etc. etc. People pay him to sing, and I get paid not to sing. He did a CD and is working on another... but don't worry, I'm not on it! ;)

I started on recorder in second grade, when I was about seven. In fifth grade, I switched to flute and played that all through high school in baroque ensemble and concert band, with a brief foray into French horn because the band needed one and I always liked the sound. I continued the flute in college (literally got drafted into the band) and even got a varsity letter for playing in the band. That experience cemented my hatred for Sousa marches, particularly "Stars and Stripes Forever," which persists to this day. (I think old John Philip must have had a very bad experience with woodwinds, because he sure seemed to hate us...)

I haven't picked up my flute since college, and I don't even remember how to read music, more's the pity. My husband sings, though, and has been in a couple of bands, so music is still a part of our lives.

Well, I've been playing the guitar for around 45 years. You'd think I would have learned which side has the strings on it by now...

Richard

keyboards, synth,fiddle, 5 string elec. mandolin, and acoustic mandolin.

Highlights? Got to play with Haggard, the Wheel, Johnny Paycheck, and opened for Ernest Tubb at his last gig before he passed.

keyboards, synth,fiddle, 5 string elec. mandolin, and acoustic mandolin.

Highlights? Got to play with Haggard, the Wheel, Johnny Paycheck, and opened for Ernest Tubb at his last gig before he passed.

No kidding... That is impressive, Pete! :You_Rock_Emoticon:

For my part, I was a music major my first time in college, playing mostly various brass instruments. I also have played guitar, some years better, some years worse, depending on how much time I put in at it. Gotta love the software programs that are available now that let you turn your computer into a home music studio! That has really gotten me motivated to arrange for and play my instruments more. (Maybe I'll post one of my projects sometime in the off-topic forum.) If you ever heard me sing, you would laugh until there are tears in your eyes! :lol:

Kate

I have kept myself amused on my Gibson and other guitars for some 40 years, still can't play nothing, and still don't know what the strings are named....

As a matter of fact, The Gibson is at the Luthier shop right now for some minor fixes, and I am SOOOOOOO....missing it. I reach for it at night to get my head straight, and it ain't there...this is worse than than a divorce....

guitar since 1962....mostly blues, rock, country (the old stuff)

I recently found on Youtube that someone had posted some old video footage of a drum & bugle corps I marched with in the late '70's. Wow, did this ever bring back some memories. It wasn't one of our better performances that year - everything was way too rushed in this show, but anyway... I'm in this... somewhere in the low brass. I was 19 at the time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIEi6L4iHJY&NR=1

Kate

well, since we're digging out marching band vids, here's the opener for my freshman year of college: "Mozart to Metallica"

GDMFL!

Edited by MHolzer

I played trumpet (and misc brass) for 10 years through my sophomore year of college. I even started as a music major at school, but haven't touched my horn in over 6 years.

So, yes/no/maybe.

You might be amazed how quickly it comes back to you.

Kate

I play the Irish whistle, ocarina and every so often a bamboo flute. Sometimes I swipe my boys sax from him for a while when the mood strikes.

Damon

You might be amazed how quickly it comes back to you.

I played a tenor horn (very badly) when I was a kid - I'd bet my neighbour is praying that doesn't come back to me... (I was truly dreadful!) LOL

I'm possibly the world's worst guitar player

I resemble THAT!! I am the world's WORST guitar player!!

:rockon::rockon::rockon:

I played a tenor horn (very badly) when I was a kid - I'd bet my neighbour is praying that doesn't come back to me... (I was truly dreadful!) LOL

Don't feel too bad about that. I played one for a semester in brass ensemble. I loved how easy it was to nail those high notes, but it's a difficult instrument to play, more temperamental than a French horn. I was constantly having to bend pitches to stay in tune, and with all that bending, I was fracking a lot. Arrgggggh! That was enough to motivate me to buy my own euphonium, rather than continue to be subject to play what was available from the university loaners.

Kate

Have played the pinanner since I was 5 (yes, they had pianos that long ago) and played trombone in high school band and keyboards in "garage bands" during high school. Now I mostly play the stereo.