UKRay

How many leatherworkers are also musicians?

I made extra money playing in various bluegrass bands in the 80's. I play guitar and bass fiddle. Haven't really played much for about 10 years. I pulled out the old Martin the other day since we were going to a party with some other musicians and I wanted to see how rusty I was. Yikes, those steel strings are kind of rough when you don't have your callouses anymore. Chris

Been playing violin and fiddle for 7 years, started in 6th grade. recently purchased a mandolin for amusement. It's...Fun

The Kid

I have played guitar for about 12 years,piano and sang since about 4 yrs old,mandolin,fiddle,harmonica and drums. I play mostly bluegrass due to the fact that my hometown (Glen Rose, Tx.) is a huge bluegrass town. They have festivals there every year. I have played in a few rock bands and am trying to get together a full bluegrass band now. blah blah blah...

MUSICIAN/LEATHERWORKER TIP

I have seen leather pickguards for electric guitars on the internet but had never seen one for an acoustic. I did one for a "cheapie" acoustic I have with a sheridan pattern on it and it turned out amazing. I have had alot of people interested. Just giving you an idea.

Phillip Sims

I have a habit of buying beautiful, expensive guitars and being a truly awful player.

Having thought about it though, I feel a bit better. I used to be appalling, now I'm simply bad.

That's an improvement, right? :head_hurts_kr:

Badger

You play the fool exceptionally well though... I learned a lot from you! LOL

Ray

See all of the "hidden talents" you have unleashed.....Pretty amazing group here. I played keyboards in a rock band in the 70's and would do some wedding stuff just to pick up extra cash on the side. Our rythem guitar player went to California and played session work with some real pro's but got wound up in the lifestyle and died at way to early an age. The drummer still plays country and western on occasion. Great memories of a mispent youth.....thanks for the thread!

Dennis

Michigan

what do i play?..........i just play around.. but i do a lot of roadie work in my

sons band...."THE STUNNING CUNNING BAND".... check them out on My Space.. :guitar:

As good a place as any for my first post...

I played guitar and gave it up when I realized that rock and roll stardom wasn't coming and, at the same time, was looking for some extra cash. Bye-bye Hollow body Guild Bluesbird. Picked it up again seriously when I was in China and seriously depressed. Got the best $50 guitar in the shop and banged away on it.

I learned depression is good for musical creativity.

So, I have a couple more guitars now, and still play as much as I can. I bought an electric for old times sake and to surprise the kids - I'm sure the neighbors love it too.

A Chinese master tried to teach me the erhu (the two stringed Chinese violin) for a year. It was very much like backgammon. Easy to learn the basics, hard as heck to master. Still hope for the kids, though.

And, by the way, is there a welcome new guys thread around here? Or did I miss it?

Nice to meet you all anyway!

I play bass, electric, a little keyboard, worked as a roadie some 20 years back so I know my way around a lighting and sound desk. Had a backyard 12 track recording studio b4 the days of "everyone does it on their PC" :lol

Still play a little bass for bands every now and then.

I used to play the stockmarket . . . gone a bit off-key just lately! :whistle:

Bille - The Member's Gallery is where most people introduce themselves, but anywhere will do. It will just be seen more there. Welcome to LW.net!

I used to play the drums in punkbands when younger. A common nickname for a drummer is "skinbasher" wich is kinda of funny nowadays.

I've been trying to pick it up but never find time to visit my friend who has a small studio and a drumkit that I like at home.

The quiet digital drums available today allow double bass drums and has like a skin that resembles the skins on the good 'ol acoustic drums so I am eagerly hoping those will become cheaper in the future.

Tom

I've played guitar for about 40 yrs now... That really scared me when I typed it... I guess mostly I can't play the same thing twice, but what comes out the first time pretty much makes me happy. And my wife is really easy to please... (I know...I've opened myself up, so just go ahead.... ) And I've also been playing the native american flutes for a few years too. Really enjoy both.

Kevin Hopkins

I have a habit of buying beautiful, expensive guitars and being a truly awful player.

Having thought about it though, I feel a bit better. I used to be appalling, now I'm simply bad.

That's an improvement, right? :head_hurts_kr:

Badger

:NEWFUNNYPOST:

I resemble that remark.

Kate

hi ray i play guitar so does my partner she sings i dont.

i played base in a band for a few years.

and roadied for an all girl band to

Guitar and Mandolin. I got into this to make straps.

Sal

I play harmonica, guitar and bass.

I played harmonica in a blues band in Germany, bass in local bands and guitar to torture the Mrs. and the animals.

Used to play the flute when I still at school - was in the orchestra and played solo once, but dropped it after leaving for some daft reason. Then took up the tenor sax while living in germany in the late 80's early 90's but that only lasted for a year or so - have actually just bought another which is temptingly sitting snug in its case and am hoping that the thrase 'will all come back quickly' is true as the walls in these houses are paper thin!!! am gonna try and master 'lilly was here' to start with.

- youtube link to song Edited by troy

Uam gonna try and master 'lilly was here' to start with.

- youtube link to song

You never take on anything easy, do you, Paul! LOL

Candy Dulfer is one amazing musician...

Ray

I play the Bagpipes. Started when I was 15 (1985) and have been playing since. At the age of 18, our band entered EUSPBA competition in Grade IV and 4 years later I retired as a Grade II band competitor and from that band all together.

Flash forward 10 years

I joined another band and am currently the Pipe Sgt.

Pic that appeared on the front page with the article about this year's local Celtic Festival

6918_1130119209522_1123489805_30326.jpg

The Band

IMG_0755.jpg

IMG_2020.jpg

9119_10100109331635414_9379626_6260.jpg

IMG_1990.jpg

IMG_0794.jpg

Edited by druid