luke027.jpgI WAS VERY SUPRIZED THIS AFTERNOON WHEN THE POSTMAN LEFT A PACKAGE IN THE MAIL BOX

FROM WASHINGTON STATE.

I knew that Greg Gaub had came thru.I have never been so suprized in my life. At such a fine gift

that he made for me.

the lettering is awsum and he got the last name down right.

thank you so much Greg.

post-1906-1239394590_thumb.jpg

Now that is a very nice gift, cousin. The lacing detail on that thing is amazing!

Ray

That thin lettering is awesome. I would have mashed it up the first side of the first letter!

That is definitely a new treatment in lacing I have not seen!

Lots of exclamation points!

What the hell is it?

I could never get those letters that nice. It must have taken a lot of patience to get those letters like that.I have to keep going back to it to look at the lacing. Everything just sorta flows. I think this pay it forward is great. We get to share with our leather working buddy's and the idea factor is off the chart. Well done. It's a wallet. Right?

Tom

Ray thank you..........

Rdb-- Tom.......it is a very large name plate

he said i could hang in my "Office".

the deminitions are 5"X12"

That's a great pc of work! I especially like the lacing...very creative!

First off I want to thank Luke for not giving up on me. I have loads of reasons for procrastinating as long as I did, but no excuses. Luke was rightfully dismayed at the delay, but he was very gracious in his acceptance of my apology. Thanks, Luke! :)

As Luke said, it's a large name plate. Having seen Luke's stuff in his many threads and posts, I knew that he could make anything I could just as well or better. I couldn't think of anything to make him! Sure, I could have made him a nice wallet, but would he have used it? Not without being spoiled on the surprise by me getting all his likes/dislikes about wallets, anyway. The beautiful PIFs I received gave me the idea of the name plate, but now I had a hard time figuring out how to show off my unique style/skills... such as they are.

Some of the ideas for this have been bouncing around in my head for a while, but since I had never done them before, I was also worried that they might look like crap. :\ Like I said... reasons for the delay, but not excuses. ;-)

The lacing is just a normal applique double-loop lace, right out of the Stohlman book, but I wondered if it would look like I imagined it would with the distance between the holes spread out like that. I wasn't expecting it to look so much like a fish bone, but I'm still happy with the way it turned out. Yes, that was the first time I did that... though it probably won't be the last. BTW, I ran out of lace, even though I made the piece EXTRA long. I had to splice in some more for the last few holes worth. hehe :)

The lettering is actually my handwriting. I just wrote "Luke" nice and big in cursive, then gave it width and tooled it. It's not so narrow, given the size of the project, really. They hat was me being clever, but it really made sense when I saw a photo of Luke with one on. ;-) The '-ley" I originally had after the hat in my design would have been a little over the top, I think. I'm glad I didn't keep that. :)

Anyway, that's all. I'm really glad that Luke likes it. He didn't deserve to wait so long. If anyone has any other questions on it, I'm happy to answer them.

Thanks!

-Greg

Greg is one of the pioneers of getting leatherworkers online and talking, and he is also a sweet leather artist. You lucked out, Luke! You coulda got something from me! :bawling:

Really nice job, now you know you gotta explain the lacing a little. That makes the piece really pop.

~J

WOW!! Gorgeous work!

Gotta say that is outstanding. Great job on that one.

Great looking doorsign Luke!!

You're a lucky man!! I just LOVE that lacing. It was a nice new touch to see it done that way!

Tom