I'd like to buy a quart of Barge cement, and don't know of a source. Can anyone help? I'm in California. Thanks,

go to tandy if you have one. shipping will kill ya.

I don't think that Tandy will ship anything but the small squeeze tubes. At least that's what they told me recently. Though they did offer to send their brand of glue! Try www.istirrups.com

They have a couple of different types of Barge cement in the quarts.

Edited by undeberg

Anything over the tube I do not think they can ship to anywhere. You have to go to a store that carries it to get a qt and have to have a tax # to get it in a gallon in most states. Having just moved to CA last October I tried to stock up on some things we can not get here anymore like oil dyes and other products.

Tom,

You might contact the Tandy in Sac. I have seen it behind the counter there in qts. I was told a while ago that some or all of the locations of TLF can't ship any of the HL products within CA. They all ship from the warehouse by ground. Has to do with hazardous shipping requirements, training, and paperwork that would be required for each location. I was also told that resale # to purchase Barge was a TLF policy and not a regulation per se. Other sources for Barge are Weavers, and other suppliers carry it too. I buy in gallons. I have about exhausted my supplies, and am trying some other AP cements. You might check with a local shoe repair shop. You might be able to piggyback on one of their orders. Some of their supplies are delivered by sales reps or in larger boxes with one HL fee to dilute out those charges.

Tom,

You might contact the Tandy in Sac. I have seen it behind the counter there in qts. I was told a while ago that some or all of the locations of TLF can't ship any of the HL products within CA. They all ship from the warehouse by ground. Has to do with hazardous shipping requirements, training, and paperwork that would be required for each location. I was also told that resale # to purchase Barge was a TLF policy and not a regulation per se. Other sources for Barge are Weavers, and other suppliers carry it too. I buy in gallons. I have about exhausted my supplies, and am trying some other AP cements. You might check with a local shoe repair shop. You might be able to piggyback on one of their orders. Some of their supplies are delivered by sales reps or in larger boxes with one HL fee to dilute out those charges.

Hey Bruce,

Do you like the new Barge formula? I know that they changed the # of ingredients some time back. While I was still at Hide Crafter's we had several saddle makers complain about that they did not think it held as well as it did before.

I'm with Bruce. There are a multitude of contact adhesives/ AP cements out there.

I just came across this info and i have posted it FYI

For those customers that have been purchasing Leather Dyes, Stains, and Finishes

Please read the following information in regards to the sale and shipment for

Leather Dyes, Leather Finishes, Leather Stains and Leather Adhesives in the state of California:

Please be advised that due to the California regulations limiting the VOC (Volatile Organic Compounds) content in retail products, none of the items listed below may be sold to a retail customer.

The items bound by the new VOC (Volatile Organic Compounds) regulations and can only be purchased for commercial or manufactual use and cannot be re-sold or placed on a retail shelf at any time in the state of California.

The following products manufactured by Fiebing Company Inc., in the sizes specified will not be for sale in the State of California as of June 2007, Although we may be granted an extension until December 31st 2007.

Bulk and larger sizes of these products can be sold to manufacturing companies in the state of California but can never be sold as retail products to customers or shipped.

The leather dyes, leather finishes and leather adhesives manufactured by Feibings and included under this new law:

7 ounce Fiebing's Reptile Cleaner (Aerosol)

5.5 ounce Fiebing's Boot Slip (Aerosol)

6.5 ounce Fiebing's Boot Stretch

5.5 ounce Fiebing's Water and Stain Protector (Aerosol)

10.5 ounce Fiebing's Water and Stain Protector (Aerosol)

4 ounce Fiebing's Silicone Shoe Kote

4 ounce Fiebing's Leather Dyes (All Colors)

4 ounce Fiebing's Professional Oil Dye (All Colors)

4 ounce Fiebing's Leather Stain (All Colors)

4 ounce Fiebing's Antique Finish Paste (All Colors)

4 ounce Fiebing's Dye Reducer

4 ounce Fiebing's Deglazer

13 ounce Fiebing's Saddle Lac (Aerosol)

11 ounce Fiebing's Leather Sheen (Aerosol)

4 ounce Fiebing's Composition & Neolite Edge Ink (All Colors)

12 ounce Fiebing's Silicone-Lanolin Saddle Oil (Aerosol)

4 ounce Fiebing's Leather Balm

4 ounce Fiebing's Shoe Stretch

4 ounce Fiebing's Spot Remover

2.5 lb. Fiebing's Silicone Boot Polish

4 ounce Fiebing's Edge Dye

5.5 ounce Snow-Proof Water and Stain Protector (Aerosol)

10.5 ounce Snow-Proof Water and Stain Protector (Aerosol)

5.5 ounce Kelly's Water and Stain Protector (Aerosol)

10.5 ounce Kelly's Water and Stain Protector (Aerosol)

4 ounce Kelly Cobbler Dry Cleaner

5 ounce Kelly's Suede Renew (Aerosol)

5 ounce Kelly's White Shoe Foam (Aerosol)

11 ounce Kelly's Instant Shine (Aerosol)

4 ounce Kelly Cobber Leather Dye (All Colors)

4 ounce Kelly Cobber Suede Dye (All Colors)

4 ounce Kelly Cobbler Waterproof Heel and Sole Dressing (All Colors)

Products that are not Fiebings that will no longer be compliant

with California's new Standard as of January 1st 2007 include:

Barge Cement 2oz (Contact Cement)

Barge Cement Quart (Contact Cement)

Barge Cement Thinner Quart

Barge AP Cement Thinner Gallon

Tanners Bond Rubber Cement 4oz

Tanners Bond Rubber Cement Quart

Tanners Bond Contact Cement 4oz

Tanners Bond Contact Cement Gallon

Tanners Bond Cement Thinner Quart

Dr. Jackson's Water Protect Spray 10.5oz (Aerosol)

Neat-Lac Leather Finish Pint

Neat-Lac Leather Finish Quart

Neat-Lac Leather Finish Gallon

Neat-Lac Leather Finish Gallon

Neat-Lac Leather Finish Spray 11oz (Aerosol)

Super Shene Spray 11oz (Aerosol)

Tandy Pro Dye 4oz (All Colors)

Tandy Pro Dye Quart (All Colors)

Tandy Pro Dye Solvent 4oz

Tandy Pro Dye Solvent Quart

Tandy Pro Dye Pack

Master AP Cement Gallon

Master AP Cement Thinner Gallon

Master Quickshine 13oz Spray (Aerosol)

Barra

Anne,

I haven't tried the new formula yet. I bought 12 gallons of the old stuff. I am down to a couple left. Some things I have heard. Most all of the AP cements are or have been reformulated. Masters, Barge, etc. Most of the new mixes tend to separate and require stirring or shaking prior to use. I just got a gallon of EMU SAR (some number here) to try. Haven't cracked the lid yet. I got it through a local shoe repair guy with his order. He has used it quite a while and likes it. Seems like a lot of the supplies of the old formulas are now getting down, and the new formulas are starting to ship. There will be learning curve with the new formulas, and new-to-us cements as folks get going with them. Someone said something the other day that their new Barge was thinner and smelled stronger than before. I am wondering if he got the word to mix it up first or just poured mostly solvent off the top?

New Barge cement. I shook mine very well, still kinda thick

added some thinner to it On the knife sheaths i just made

the new Barge stuck like to old did. I did notice the new is not as

strong smelling as the old.

Tandy's catalog states they sell the quart and gallon size to businesses only, which is fine as I am one. I just called Tandy in Sacramento and they said they're not allowed to carry it at all, even for businesses. They said the only way to get it is to go out of state and bring it back!

I've never used a different brand that worked as well, and I am reluctant to try others unless some of you can testify that it's just as good. Thanks,

Sounds like you'll have to run over to Reno some weekend for your glue

Try contacting Weaver Leather, but it may be a California thing....bummer.

I'd like to buy a quart of Barge cement, and don't know of a source. Can anyone help? I'm in California. Thanks,

consider this: i use plain old weldwood contact cement found in the local hardware store and it works fine....for me.

i started using it after encountering the crazy and heavily regulated shipping situation that is outlined above.

steveb

consider this: i use plain old weldwood contact cement found in the local hardware store and it works fine....for me.

i started using it after encountering the crazy and heavily regulated shipping situation that is outlined above.

steveb

I'm with Steve on this. I use Weldwood brand (or DAP brand) from a local home store (Lowes/Menards/HomeDepot). I think my neighborhood hardware store carries it too. It's contact cement. Not too many different ways to fly here. I have, in the past, used a water based product to laminate some countertop material on a table. It worked fine and that was 20-odd years ago.

I even have some "ultra industrial" contact cement, but it doesn't bond any tighter than the Weldwood product, but it is MUCH stinkier.

my tuppence...

Brent

Tom you might want to check out S-T Leather co at stleather.com . dI just went to their web site and they have the qts. of barge listed and the page tells us that if yu order the qt. size that the HL fee doesn't apply that the HL fee is for gallons only, so that is at least a $20.00 saving already. The part# for the qt size is M0830, and the listed price is $11.95. I called them on the phone a week or so back and they told me that the current listing on their website is mostly correct, with very few changes. I'v ordered from them several times and have them to be pretty quick and good people to do business with. In fact after the 19th of this mo., when I get paid I am going to order a few things myself. Some time back I got a 1/4" angle ceramic swivel knife blade from them and they were at least $10 to $15 cheaper than anywhere else I checked. I don't know how many years that I've been doing a little business with them off and on, but I know it's been a lot of years. dI hope this helps you and possibly someone else too. Later Billy P

Hey Billy, Thanks for the S.T. Leather info. I placed an order with them today. It's just what I'm looking for!

Edited by Banwell

My order arrived from ST Leather, and I am pleased. Great prices, and just what I wanted which I was unable to find elsewhere. Thanks again, Billy P!