bruce johnson

Barnsley Plough Gauge

I just got a Barnsley plough gauge, and am wondering if anyone could have some insight on dating it. Pretty good condition tool and definitely some age on it. The bar and guide fence both have match numbers of 58. I know from my draw gauges that the older shops would mate the frames and bars up by numbers within a run of tools. That was when they were hand made and due to slight variance needed to matched. I am not when sure when the companies here in the states stopped doing the matching numbers. The HFOs, Francis & Ward, and other oldies pretty much all have the matching numbers. I don't think I have any of the CSOs after the Harrison move with numbers. Does anyone know if Barnsley had the matching numbers throughout their time in business or just early on?

From what little I can find on the internet, Barnsley changed from Barnsley and Sons to Barnsley and Sons Ltd. in 1948. Mine is marked as Barnsley and Son (no Ltd), but not sure if they changed the tool markings to include the "Ltd" after that or not. Any information is appreciated.

Bruce. Are there any other distinguishing marks like a logo or slogan.

I assume that if you have done an internet search that you have seen the flickr photo's of the factory.

Leave it with me. I'm putting the feelers out.

Barra.

barnsley.jpg

post-1669-1239482177_thumb.jpg

Edited by barra

If you would, please show a pic, for those of us who've never seen one...

RDB,

Basically a plough gauge is a strap cutter. The front of the blade is sharpened and it is pushed into the leather rather than pulled like a draw gauge. I have some neat old draw gauges I have come across and like them. I got to use one of these plough gauges at my friend Giovanni Zapetta's shop a month or two ago. I had not had the opportunity to try one before that. Different people I have talked to would not part with theirs for love or money once they got one. My Australian buddy here has his dad's old Dixon and said I'd never regret getting one.These are pretty pricey to buy new. The Dixons run a little over $600 here, and are just under $500 before you get them shipped from England. I have just been hanging out looking for one to try at the right price.

Andrew,

I am attaching some pictures of it. I got it on Ebay last Sunday. The markings on the bar are Geo Barnsley & Sons, Sheffield, England. Above that is the logo with the shoe. The match number is on the free end of the bar and on the guide fence just under where the blade slides through. The guide fence has the same tool maker's mark on the outside front. It has the thumb screw adjustment for the roller height on top. The width adjustment has a thumbscrew at the back of the blade slot. It has some age on it, but is tight. The blade is a Dixon. I am kind of thinking the blade might be unused. There was no edge to speak of on it. Almost like the old ones came from the factory - shaped but square, the bevel and edge are left to the user. The handle is cracked but the blade sits in it solid. If it ever gets loose, I can replace the handle. This blade is at the front of the slot, so it has its whole life ahead of it. I sharpened it up and it is the real deal. I stripped out some breast collar tugs and it was smooth. Here is another link to some Barnsley shop pictures I found - Barnsley shop pics. Thanks for any information.

IMG_0001.JPG

IMG_0002.JPG

post-29-1239491342_thumb.jpg

post-29-1239491368_thumb.jpg

RDB,

Basically a plough gauge is a strap cutter. The front of the blade is sharpened and it is pushed into the leather rather than pulled like a draw gauge. I have some neat old draw gauges I have come across and like them. I got to use one of these plough gauges at my friend Giovanni Zapetta's shop a month or two ago. I had not had the opportunity to try one before that. Different people I have talked to would not part with theirs for love or money once they got one. My Australian buddy here has his dad's old Dixon and said I'd never regret getting one.These are pretty pricey to buy new. The Dixons run a little over $600 here, and are just under $500 before you get them shipped from England. I have just been hanging out looking for one to try at the right price.

Andrew,

I am attaching some pictures of it. I got it on Ebay last Sunday. The markings on the bar are Geo Barnsley & Sons, Sheffield, England. Above that is the logo with the shoe. The match number is on the free end of the bar and on the guide fence just under where the blade slides through. The guide fence has the same tool maker's mark on the outside front. It has the thumb screw adjustment for the roller height on top. The width adjustment has a thumbscrew at the back of the blade slot. It has some age on it, but is tight. The blade is a Dixon. I am kind of thinking the blade might be unused. There was no edge to speak of on it. Almost like the old ones came from the factory - shaped but square, the bevel and edge are left to the user. The handle is cracked but the blade sits in it solid. If it ever gets loose, I can replace the handle. This blade is at the front of the slot, so it has its whole life ahead of it. I sharpened it up and it is the real deal. I stripped out some breast collar tugs and it was smooth. Here is another link to some Barnsley shop pictures I found - Barnsley shop pics. Thanks for any information.

g'day bruce,i bought a barnsley in sydney aust in 1966 i think,still have it and rarely need to strop or stone it.i've never used a draw guage got spoilt early,enjoy pete

I just got a Barnsley plough gauge, and am wondering if anyone could have some insight on dating it. Pretty good condition tool and definitely some age on it. The bar and guide fence both have match numbers of 58. I know from my draw gauges that the older shops would mate the frames and bars up by numbers within a run of tools. That was when they were hand made and due to slight variance needed to matched. I am not when sure when the companies here in the states stopped doing the matching numbers. The HFOs, Francis & Ward, and other oldies pretty much all have the matching numbers. I don't think I have any of the CSOs after the Harrison move with numbers. Does anyone know if Barnsley had the matching numbers throughout their time in business or just early on?

From what little I can find on the internet, Barnsley changed from Barnsley and Sons to Barnsley and Sons Ltd. in 1948. Mine is marked as Barnsley and Son (no Ltd), but not sure if they changed the tool markings to include the "Ltd" after that or not. Any information is appreciated.

Bruce, when did Barnsley start business? I have a Barnsley knife which is a great knife to use.

Tony.

Bruce, when did Barnsley start business? I have a Barnsley knife which is a great knife to use.

Tony.

Tony,

Here is another link - Another Barnsley info site. It looks like they started in some form in 1836. I am not sure if they were in continuous business or under the same family management the whole time or not.

If someone can tell me how to put a pic on here, I will show you mine. I think it is B-eautiful!

Thanks for the help! (nuther post)

Here is mine.

DSC01403.JPG

DSC01404.JPG

post-10187-1239772472_thumb.jpg

post-10187-1239772482_thumb.jpg

Hale and Co (on ebay) sell a lot of Barnsley tools. I've bought some and they are sent from the UK.Definately the real thing.