Bob

DON'T TOUCH MY TOOLS

There's not much that bugs me more than that... Someone coming into the shop and heading over to the bench to examine and "Play" with the tools.... GRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!

OK, so my question to all you that have shops is this.... How do you deal with that, without offending people, or cutting off their fingers at the neck.

Sounds too funny to be serious? Well, I'm no different than most other saddle makers. There's thousands of dollars in sharp tools on the bench. And I don't want people touching them. PERIOD.

The other things is when they bring 3 kids........

I best stop here, I think you get the picture...

I would start by being indirect and maybe hang a signs near or in work area. Also if at all possible use some type of shop divider like a chain or rope. Tough to do with out being offending. Then if they still cross the line you can always use the old line of the insurance company says.... nobody can be in the work area, or whatever.. Good luck James

Oh, if they have kids that's perfect. I just tell them, Look, this area is absolutely positively *NOT* safe for kids, please, leave your kids in the car, I don't want them to get hurt! (An anxious look at this point is useful.)

And if they don't have kids, I explain, This is my work area and I have a lot of custom orders here, so it's really important not to touch anything, because it can mess up my custom orders as far as what goes with who.

I find that if you explain things to them before they get anywhere near the "danger zone" that they respect that.

What I actually have more trouble with is people's DOGS. For some reason some people think it's "cute" to see their dog chase livestock. (And why did they drag the poor thing to my farm anyway?) When I ask them not to let the dog chase the goats/horses whatever, they will often say, "Oh, he won't hurt them!" So I tell them, "Ok - if you can explain that to the goats in a way that they can understand, so they don't have to feel any fear, then go ahead and explain it to them, and then the dog can chase them." It never goes any further than that.

I have a big sign on the wall in my shop " Don´t touch my tools". When entering the shop you can´t avoid seeing it !

Easy.

dead_terrorist.jpg

post-1669-1239482321_thumb.jpg

Shop Sign:

U toucha my tools, I breaka U Head!

:eusa_naughty::eusa_naughty::eusa_naughty:

Anybody comes to my little shop has to trip over my kids and dogs, so ....

I think the best solution for this problem, if you've got room in the shop, is to have a customer's counter- like a parts counter. A nice place where you can write up orders, lean on while talking, etc. Add a little sign that says "customer area" in that location, and another one that says all non-employees are financially responsible for anything they damage.

Ya'll make some good points about keeping CUSTOMERS from touching tools, but what about wives?!!.....LOL. My dear bride insists on coming into my leather shop area, which is a separate little building attached to the garage. She is always "organizing" my tools and things for me. Drives me freakin' crazy. Oh and she insists on turning the small space heater way down. I go into the leather shop ready to start a project, and I can see my breath!! I've explained that the dyes and finishes and glues don't work real well when frozen, but she still turns the heat down. I've hidden the keys to the shop from her, but that turns into a whole new war!!! Anyway, just thought I'd throw my dilema into the mix. Any suggestions on keeping wives out of the shop and away from the tools would be greatly appreciated........LOL!! :rules:

go in and sligtly rearrange her sewing room, kitchen, vanity, scrapbooking supplies, the area she considers "her" domain after (or during) one of her visits. . .

LOL.........that's the point. I think she considers everything on the planet her domain...including my leather shop. Not to mention my nightstand, my side of the closet, my boots, me in general.........LOL. It's kind of a no win situation...LOL. I have considered locking MYSELF in my shop. :Lighten:

Just tell them you insurance doesn't cover them in the work space.

My sign says..."There are tools on this bench sharp enough to remove fingers...Don't believe me?? Just try picking one up!!!" I have a sick sense of humor but it seems to work

What I actually have more trouble with is people's DOGS. For some reason some people think it's "cute" to see their dog chase livestock. (And why did they drag the poor thing to my farm anyway?) When I ask them not to let the dog chase the goats/horses whatever, they will often say, "Oh, he won't hurt them!" So I tell them, "Ok - if you can explain that to the goats in a way that they can understand, so they don't have to feel any fear, then go ahead and explain it to them, and then the dog can chase them." It never goes any further than that.

I too am in total disbelief when people pull up and out jumps a dog or two. I have acreage and horses as well. I feel this is such an intrusion - I always wonder how they would feel if I showed up with my 4 large dogs and just turned them out at their place.

As for the tools, I walked into my shop area one day to find my husband grabbing numerous tools with sharp points in an attempt to unjam his shotgun. After ducking for cover, I tried explaining how much those tools cost him and maybe he should use the screwdriver, or better yet, use a different gun (he was trying to kill a snake). Never a dull moment.

Wanda

Customers and "friends" I can handle, how do you tell your boss to keep her hands off? I'm not talking about my wife either. She is third generation Cheapnis. Poor thing never had a chance. She owns 30 acres with a Belmont barn and house on the edge of town, a building that was 2 houses with an addition in town, and her parents sold their place for 350,000 not long before they died. This is 50 miles outside of D.C. "How'm I gonna pay my taxes?" She doesn't have any idea what she's worth I don't think, she just knows if she spends a single penny, the whole world will come crashing down on her poor little head.

Oh yeah, "for some reason, I can only cut that with your scissors". I bought the shop a cheap set of screwdrivers and they are all gone, except the largest and the smallest Phillips with a pink handle,"oh they're around somewhere", I'm just lucky she does realize, if she takes a tool of mine home or loans it out, I may go Incredible Hulk on her and ...

Kevin

Well, thanks for some good ideas. I can't imagine roping off an area, or keeping them behind a counter will work in this shop. It's quite small to begin with. I'm convinced that getting some signs posted will help.

print out a sign on the computer that you can fold in half and prop on your workbench

Sharp objects - your blood is not the color I want to dye this project with......

Or maybe some other POLITE words

don't touch my project in the middle of it - I get nasty - nope not so polite either.....

print out a sign on the computer that you can fold in half and prop on your workbench

Sharp objects - your blood is not the color I want to dye this project with......

Or maybe some other POLITE words

don't touch my project in the middle of it - I get nasty - nope not so polite either.....

How about, "Is There Life After Death? Mess With My Tools and Find Out" :P

Easy.

Q :NEWFUNNYPOST:

Sign says "All tool molesters will be killed an eaten."

Tom

I don't get a lot of visitors to my shop but almost everyone who comes in ends up with his hands on the horn of the saddle I'm building! They don't touch the tools, and for the most part, that wouldn't bother me. But what is it about brand spankin new saddle horns that attracts people to want to rest their hands on 'em? God only knows where those hands have been! I just look down at the horn and pray they didn't just finish working on their tractor's gear box or something.

Don't forget a recently stitched cantle bind Brent. Or people that lift seat Jockey's to look under them.

I'm NOT nice about it al all....

Having spent most of a lifetime as an auto mechanic, I've dealt with the finger*#@%! of tools for a long time.

The ONLY solution I've ever found is to be very blunt. I make my living with those tools and when someone breaks or loses one of them that translates to food out of my family's mouth.

"Please leave my tools alone..." is my first line....

"I asked politely the first time..." is the second.

It usually doesn't go far beyond that and never a second time if it does.

Too often we get caught in the "The Customer is Always Right." trap, what most people don't know is that the original sign was a bit larger and the more important second part was stolen by some overbearing customer long ago.

The Customer Is Always Right; Sometimes he just needs to be right somewhere else.

I live by the 90-9 and 1 rule...

90% of the people you will do business with are easy to deal with and completely fair. They are looking for a dollars worth of work for a dollar.

9% of your customers are going to be a bit more difficult. They don't completely trust you and it's probably NOT your fault. They require a bit more attention and care, answers to a few more questions and more time just making sure you are doing it right. They're a bit of a pain but once you win them over by going that extra 9% they are the most loyal customers you ever have. I love the 9%ers because they keep me honest and give me an opportunity to strut my stuff and frankly, I'm a 9%er.

That leaves 1%.... ONE out of a Hundred. There is NOTHING you are ever going to do to please them; NOTHING, ZIP NADA. Regardless how hard you try, how much time you spend with them, how many times you bend over backwards, they are going to walk right over you. They're the ones who bring their dog to your farm and tell you it's OK, they're the ones who insist on playing with your tools, they're the ones that finger up everything they can touch.

Think about this.... when the Mob Guy in the movies goes into someone's place to strong arm them, what does he do? He fingers up everything, he goes where he wants and does what he wants. WHY does he do that? Because that's a great way of showing how unimportant you are in his eyes.

That 1%er is doing the same thing.... his actions are demonstrating disrespect in as clear a manner as possible.

The question you need to ask yourself is; "How bad do I need this person's money?"

To me, I learned long ago that the time and energy trying to please someone who cannot be pleased is wasted. I would rather spend the time with the other 99% of my clientèle. They deserve it. The hour I spend with a jerk is an hour I can't spend on someone who will appreciate my time and efforts.

1% means ONE out of ONE HUNDRED....

Out of 100 customers, one of them goes elsewhere and if you're the vengeful sort you'll have someone to recommend to him; someone who REALLY deserves his patronage.

The twist in the equation is that when that ONE leaves, you will likely GAIN business instead of lose it.

While you redo a job because the JERK discovered some flaw that you still can't see, how many other good paying jobs are you not getting to. In the end, the jerk isn't going to pay you the agreed price, you'll have three times the effort and materials invested in a job that you give him for half price just to get rid of him. When he's gone you'll be money ahead.

So I'll just be satisfied with pleasing 99% of my customers. That other 1%.... It's mind over matter.... I don't mind because they don't matter.

The Customer Is Always Right; Sometimes he just needs to be right somewhere else.

Please Leave My Tools Alone is polite and direct. 99% of your customers will respect you and your request and when they do I'll have a few extra minutes to explain and demonstrate the one that most interests them. I might even find a bit of scrap leather to let them try the tool out on. I have that time because I wrote off the 1%ers long ago.

Sorry for the long answer, but I think it time to gain a few more converts to the 90-9-1 Club.

Edited by Sharpshooter

The best way to keep the wife from making unnecessary visits to the shop is simply to rip her clothes off and have your way with her every time she comes out there, not just a quickie but do a good job. Now this will wear you out for the first week or so until until she figures out what the heck is going on; it may scare the hell out of the dog too. The frequency of the visits will diminish, especially if she figures out she may be wearing you out, but it will be a little bit of a novelty for her at first, but you must persevere. You must be steadfast in this, she will eventually learn to only come out there if she wants something, and also to make sure there aren't customers about and to lock the door, especially after the first time there ARE customers there. This will also cure the problem of the wife diddling with the thermostat.

Art

I guess it's easy for me, no store front. But my husband is the shop terror, he likes to run in and grab my things to open whatever plastic package he has in hand...... :rolleyes: ....... :argue:

too bad they don't make covers for a workbench like the ones you cover the keys of a piano with.....

someone comes in - plop and lock - noone touches the tools.

and I don't think Art's "souloution" would work for Shorts - she'd never get rid of her hubby. >grin<