Bob

DON'T TOUCH MY TOOLS

I'm NOT nice about it al all....

Having spent most of a lifetime as an auto mechanic, I've dealt with the finger*#@%! of tools for a long time.

The ONLY solution I've ever found is to be very blunt. I make my living with those tools and when someone breaks or loses one of them that translates to food out of my family's mouth.

"Please leave my tools alone..." is my first line....

"I asked politely the first time..." is the second.

It usually doesn't go far beyond that and never a second time if it does.

Too often we get caught in the "The Customer is Always Right." trap, what most people don't know is that the original sign was a bit larger and the more important second part was stolen by some overbearing customer long ago.

The Customer Is Always Right; Sometimes he just needs to be right somewhere else.

I live by the 90-9 and 1 rule...

90% of the people you will do business with are easy to deal with and completely fair. They are looking for a dollars worth of work for a dollar.

9% of your customers are going to be a bit more difficult. They don't completely trust you and it's probably NOT your fault. They require a bit more attention and care, answers to a few more questions and more time just making sure you are doing it right. They're a bit of a pain but once you win them over by going that extra 9% they are the most loyal customers you ever have. I love the 9%ers because they keep me honest and give me an opportunity to strut my stuff and frankly, I'm a 9%er.

That leaves 1%.... ONE out of a Hundred. There is NOTHING you are ever going to do to please them; NOTHING, ZIP NADA. Regardless how hard you try, how much time you spend with them, how many times you bend over backwards, they are going to walk right over you. They're the ones who bring their dog to your farm and tell you it's OK, they're the ones who insist on playing with your tools, they're the ones that finger up everything they can touch.

Think about this.... when the Mob Guy in the movies goes into someone's place to strong arm them, what does he do? He fingers up everything, he goes where he wants and does what he wants. WHY does he do that? Because that's a great way of showing how unimportant you are in his eyes.

That 1%er is doing the same thing.... his actions are demonstrating disrespect in as clear a manner as possible.

The question you need to ask yourself is; "How bad do I need this person's money?"

To me, I learned long ago that the time and energy trying to please someone who cannot be pleased is wasted. I would rather spend the time with the other 99% of my clientèle. They deserve it. The hour I spend with a jerk is an hour I can't spend on someone who will appreciate my time and efforts.

1% means ONE out of ONE HUNDRED....

Out of 100 customers, one of them goes elsewhere and if you're the vengeful sort you'll have someone to recommend to him; someone who REALLY deserves his patronage.

The twist in the equation is that when that ONE leaves, you will likely GAIN business instead of lose it.

While you redo a job because the JERK discovered some flaw that you still can't see, how many other good paying jobs are you not getting to. In the end, the jerk isn't going to pay you the agreed price, you'll have three times the effort and materials invested in a job that you give him for half price just to get rid of him. When he's gone you'll be money ahead.

So I'll just be satisfied with pleasing 99% of my customers. That other 1%.... It's mind over matter.... I don't mind because they don't matter.

The Customer Is Always Right; Sometimes he just needs to be right somewhere else.

Please Leave My Tools Alone is polite and direct. 99% of your customers will respect you and your request and when they do I'll have a few extra minutes to explain and demonstrate the one that most interests them. I might even find a bit of scrap leather to let them try the tool out on. I have that time because I wrote off the 1%ers long ago.

Sorry for the long answer, but I think it time to gain a few more converts to the 90-9-1 Club.

I think that this answer is what many of us needed to hear. Tastes like a good medicine....

too bad they don't make covers for a workbench like the ones you cover the keys of a piano with.....

someone comes in - plop and lock - noone touches the tools.

and I don't think Art's "souloution" would work for Shorts - she'd never get rid of her hubby. >grin<

:rofl:

Exactly what I was thinking. "Well that ain't gonna help very much!"

too bad they don't make covers for a workbench like the ones you cover the keys of a piano with.....

someone comes in - plop and lock - noone touches the tools.

and I don't think Art's "souloution" would work for Shorts - she'd never get rid of her hubby. >grin<

How about a Roll Top Desk, I will be getting one or helping my sister to make me one as most here are on the small side this after finding my husband using my wooden mallet to hammer in pins on the vinyl shed he was putting together.

There are plans around for roll top desks on the net and I've seen audio recording studios desks that are quite long that have a similiar set up though they are usually made of metal. Instead of building the whole thing you could just build the top part and modify it to your desk length.

I was at Al Shelton's shop a few weeks ago and it was really difficult to resist the urge to pick up and look at his old tools. I was hoping that some of his mojo would brush off on me if I touched them.

How about a Roll Top Desk, (snip) ...

I like the setup that Jim Jackson has at the King's Saddlery shop ... his tools are on the wall, and he has a 2"x4" box around them mounted on the wall, and a hinged plywood "lid" over that. When he leaves, he closes and locks the lid (with a padlock).

I'm intending on building a similar thing (all my tools on the wall), but with a plexi-glass front lid (so you could see the tools when it's locked).

Of course, it would help if the wall was by your work area, so you could use the tools straight from the wall. Otherwise, if you have the tools "out" in your work area, then I agree with the idea of a separate/roped-off area from the visitors (if that's possible). Since you said you didn't have the space for that ... well ... that's a problem. (Sorry.)

-charley

The best way to keep the wife from making unnecessary visits to the shop is simply to rip her clothes off and have your way with her every time she comes out there, not just a quickie but do a good job. Now this will wear you out for the first week or so until until she figures out what the heck is going on; it may scare the hell out of the dog too. The frequency of the visits will diminish, especially if she figures out she may be wearing you out, but it will be a little bit of a novelty for her at first, but you must persevere. You must be steadfast in this, she will eventually learn to only come out there if she wants something, and also to make sure there aren't customers about and to lock the door, especially after the first time there ARE customers there. This will also cure the problem of the wife diddling with the thermostat.

Art

Nah, if I did that she'd never leave..... and, I'd never get any work done.

Ya'll make some good points about keeping CUSTOMERS from touching tools, but what about wives?!!.....LOL. My dear bride insists on coming into my leather shop area, which is a separate little building attached to the garage. She is always "organizing" my tools and things for me. Drives me freakin' crazy. Oh and she insists on turning the small space heater way down. I go into the leather shop ready to start a project, and I can see my breath!! I've explained that the dyes and finishes and glues don't work real well when frozen, but she still turns the heat down. I've hidden the keys to the shop from her, but that turns into a whole new war!!! Anyway, just thought I'd throw my dilema into the mix. Any suggestions on keeping wives out of the shop and away from the tools would be greatly appreciated........LOL!! :rules:

I've been married for 25 yrs, my best advice to you is to just learn to live with it. I say this because well, my wife told me to.

My sign says..."There are tools on this bench sharp enough to remove fingers...Don't believe me?? Just try picking one up!!!" I have a sick sense of humor but it seems to work

I had a friend who made and sold some very fine knives. He had a sign at his table that read "Band-aids $5" held in place by one of those fake severed fingers.

If the shop is too small to have a counter, have some sheets/blankets handy to lay over the tools, or saddle, or tell them that the only time you want to see their hands out of their pockets is when they are handing you the money.

My Dad's friend who owned a gun store made up some "custom" rounds and left them on the counter to distract the patrons who liked to fondle everything. One started off with a .50 BMG case , proceeded to a 300 H&H if I remember right, which was topped by a 55 gr .22 of some variety. After it was soldered ,and polished it looked like it was just one piece. He got some interesting comments on it. Maybe you can have a distraction set out for the customers.

As for the dogs chasing livestock have a sign, or just tell them that dogs caught chasing livestock will be shot, and tanned. Have a shotgun by the bench to prove the point. In a lot of areas dogs are fair game if they are harassing livestock. I can't stand irresponsible dog owners.

I'm sure you adapt this old sign and scare then off !

post-13995-094170000 1286466181_thumb.jp

How about some of those fake halloween "cut-off fingers" props ? Stick them on desk along with sign - "The last person that played with my tools ... ":)

As for loose dogs - a big sign on front gate - "Loose dogs on property will be shot on sight". I don't know about USA law, but here in Australia..it's perfectly legal for a farmer to shoot any dog he finds on his property that he *thinks* may harm his stock - he doesn't have to see them doing anything, just *think* they *might*.

Edited by Thistledown

Ya'll make some good points about keeping CUSTOMERS from touching tools, but what about wives?!!.....LOL. My dear bride insists on coming into my leather shop area, which is a separate little building attached to the garage. She is always "organizing" my tools and things for me. Drives me freakin' crazy. Oh and she insists on turning the small space heater way down. I go into the leather shop ready to start a project, and I can see my breath!! I've explained that the dyes and finishes and glues don't work real well when frozen, but she still turns the heat down. I've hidden the keys to the shop from her, but that turns into a whole new war!!! Anyway, just thought I'd throw my dilema into the mix. Any suggestions on keeping wives out of the shop and away from the tools would be greatly appreciated........LOL!! :rules:

Leave open a stinky non-toxic chem solution in yer shop. We dont mind our leather chem smells but the unaccustomed lol nose will reel from the 'stink' . Good luck with the heater, we chics are way trained to turn heaters down when "not in use" lol. its in our genes. She might also be worried that yer chemicals will get too warm, explode blah blah, ask her if thats why she turns down the heat ~ it'll break the ice on discussing why you keep the heat up maybe.

The best way to keep the wife from making unnecessary visits to the shop is simply to rip her clothes off and have your way with her every time she comes out there, not just a quickie but do a good job. Now this will wear you out for the first week or so until until she figures out what the heck is going on; it may scare the hell out of the dog too. The frequency of the visits will diminish, especially if she figures out she may be wearing you out, but it will be a little bit of a novelty for her at first, but you must persevere. You must be steadfast in this, she will eventually learn to only come out there if she wants something, and also to make sure there aren't customers about and to lock the door, especially after the first time there ARE customers there. This will also cure the problem of the wife diddling with the thermostat.

Art

ART you have the perfect solution. I am going to show this all to my boyfriend in the morning. He gets real peeved that I stay up all hours in my shop~~~this will be my solution to him getting mad that I'm out in the shop half the night all week!!! I'll just catch him when he gets home & practice this method on him, then maybe he'll quit hollering for me in the middle of the night. Thank you!!!! ...funny, Ive had the customer-showing-up problem so far at the new shop. Hard to work when yer shop is at the house. And the boyfriend's shop is outside my shop door, hell maybe I should just give yer advice to him instead....

The problem does not exist only in workshops. When I attend fairs I also work at the table - it attracts people and increases sales, so it is a good ppolicy. Still, this means there are tools lying about and some people just can´t keep their hands off. I have begun telling these people, as nicely as possible "Among craftspeople it is considered extremely rude to touch someone´s tools without explicit permission". As they generally want to appear informed and knowing something about crafts it usually seems to work. Dropping the comment that "Some of those tools are extremely sharp" also helps.

I have to allow people handling the things I sell, naturally, but make sure they understand that "If you break it, damage it or stain it - you bought it!" I remember only too well the mom of a kid that reached out his little hand, all sticky with candy, towards some of my knotwork. I was busy with another customer, so in a side comment I just informed the mom what they cost. She quickly grabbed the kid´s hand... (And gave me an angry look)

Lasse C

When i had a shop in town it got real bad customers wanted to stand right beside you and look. So i built a counter that went all the way across the shop. I had a work area and selling / display area and door built into the counter that raised up. That helped for a little while and they started coming on in. Then put sliding locks under the part that raised up. That worked for a while and they strted undoing the locks. So i finally made a sign that said I DON'T NEED HELP !!! KEEP OUT !!! That worked and i'm sure it PO some people but i was at the point to where i didn't care anymore and i told a few to hit the road and NEVER come back.

i saw a sign the other day that i loved. it said something like this:

all unattended children receive a free cup of espresso and a FREE PUPPY!!

I see that one around here too Ramrod. :)

i saw a sign the other day that i loved. it said something like this:

all unattended children receive a free cup of espresso and a FREE PUPPY!!

Very Clever. Seems like that might work and make the adults smile too.

omg mine does the exact same thing...and i thought she was a one of a kind lol

I have the same issue with my wife. She handles all business stuff, we have two homebase businesses. But, doesn't know too much about the technical stuff with leatherwork, (what tools do what, etc.) But, what drives me nuts is when I find my tools around the place (out of place) because she decided a particular tools would work great for X,Y,Z. Like using leaather shears to cut card board, etc. Oh My...But, I love her, so I just cringe and keep my mouth shut, then just remind her the cost of leather shears, (or whatever tool) versus the proper tool for what she needs.