Just finished this commission for a fellow Firefly fan.

This is a replica of Zoe's rig from Joss Whedon's Firefly. The gun is the original hero Mare's Leg used in the show.

It's a substantial rig, about 7mm thick all over. The fore end clip was interesting to figure out. The inert cartridges are 45 Long Colt, the originals were 44/40 cal.

The buckle was cast from the original and I copied all the dimensions over. It's as close as I can make to an exact copy.

What do you think Tasha?

Badger

DSC_0416small.jpg DSC_0417small.jpg

DSC_0421small.jpg DSC_0426small.jpg

1zoe005.jpg zoe1.jpg zoe04_copy.jpg

post-7577-1239551065_thumb.jpg

post-7577-1239551089_thumb.jpg

post-7577-1239551114_thumb.jpg

post-7577-1239551169_thumb.jpg

post-7577-1239551293_thumb.jpg

post-7577-1239551334_thumb.jpg

post-7577-1239551404_thumb.jpg

I'm a huge Firefly fan and love to see others as enthusiastic about it as me.

The piece is beautifully crafted.

Doesn't anyone remember Steve McQueen in Wanted Dead or Alive? You did a great job on the latest version of a classic firearm

Dave

steve-mcqueen-bwda.jpg

Edited by David

David,

Zoe's gun and holster rig are a deliberate homage to Josh Randall's.

Joss Whedon says it's his favourite gun, ever.

Cheers,

Badger

Doesn't anyone remember Steve McQueen in Wanted Dead or Alive? You did a great job on the latest version of a classic firearm

Dave

steve-mcqueen-bwda.jpg

Hey David, Thats exactly what I was thinking when I saw this rig. I was a bit to late for the original run of the show. But thank god for Netflix, I've seen em all now. Man I love westerns. To bad ole Steve isn't with us anymore, he made some good ones.

And Badger, Thats some excellent work. really like to worn vintage look it has. Very impressive and thanks for shaing, James

I loved that show Dave.

Art

Simply this is my favorite gun and holster of all time~~~~~~

Living in CANADA unfortunately leaves me in a predicament that I am unable to holster this type of firearm legally and is unable to be fired anywhere in CANADA except at the gun range (where you can not holster a firearm nonetheless).

This is the only reason I would love to live in the USA.....

Nice work Badger I Liked that show as well! I have Lever guns in .45LC and .44-40 both are great fun to shoot,if they were not so damn exspensive I would cut one down LOL.Did y0u see the post by our Cananadian neighbor...God Bless America,Please let your elected reps know how important your 2nd Amendments rights are to You!

Tony,

It's a chopped Rossi 92, Winchester clone.

It has a saddle ring on the left side of the receiver block. The ring slips over a hook at the top of the 'slab' section and the spring clip retains the fore end. If you walk around with it, you need to tie it into the clip with a thong, just to be sure.

Gina Torres wore the rubber stunt version in the rig more often than not.

Much lighter :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Badger

The whole rig looks great! I loved both shows.

And if you are interested in obtaining a mare leg - check out:

http://www.jbcustom.com/mares.htm

There is also a picture of a couple of holsters for it.

Cheers!

Edited by Studio-N

Badger,

Count me as a Firefly fan also. As others have said it's a nice job and a very good vintage look.

Regards,

Ben

Tony,

It's a chopped Rossi 92, Winchester clone.

It has a saddle ring on the left side of the receiver block. The ring slips over a hook at the top of the 'slab' section and the spring clip retains the fore end. If you walk around with it, you need to tie it into the clip with a thong, just to be sure.

Gina Torres wore the rubber stunt version in the rig more often than not.

Much lighter :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Badger

Thanks, Karl.

Just finished this commission for a fellow Firefly fan.

This is a replica of Zoe's rig from Joss Whedon's Firefly. The gun is the original hero Mare's Leg used in the show.

It's a substantial rig, about 7mm thick all over. The fore end clip was interesting to figure out. The inert cartridges are 45 Long Colt, the originals were 44/40 cal.

The buckle was cast from the original and I copied all the dimensions over. It's as close as I can make to an exact copy.

What do you think Tasha?

Badger

I think it's GORGEOUS. How did you do the distressed effect?

Nice work, Karl!

Steve

Thanks guys.

The original had a colourful and varied past which included being in many TV shows and movies. After Firefly, the original holster rig finally ended up on 'Deadwood'..... until I rescued it.

They'd cut the belt section down by about 11 inches and moved both strap billets, losing the four-bullet stash on the front, and sanded all the original surface off to make it look 'older'.

All the original stitching marks were still there, so I made the pattern for this replica by 'restoring' the original, but only on paper.

I drew it all out and put everything back where it was supposed to be.

It uses a lot of leather, being fully lined :lol:

Tasha, the distressed effect is done by making a 10% wash of Fiebeings dark brown oil dye and dappling the surface with it. The darker colour is artists acrylic black paint, let down with water and sponged on. As it started to dry, I removed selective areas of paint by rubbing with a damp sponge to simulate wear. The liner is straight oil dye, dark brown. Skidmore's and a carnuba wax finish.

When thoroughly dry, I gave it all another a good coating of carnuba wax and a brisk rubdown.

In many ways, it's a better quality piece than the original. The fittings and billets are all sewn to the outer. The liner is completlely smooth.

Yes Ray, this piece was sewn on the 'Pilot' :yeah:

Cheers,

Badger

Edited by badger

How did you make the bottom clip Badger? Is there metal in there?

Thanks,

Art

Art,

The clip is a galvinised steel pipe clamp from the hardware store.

It's one of the 'U' shape clamps with a right angled foot at each side on the bottom to screw to the wall. The first foot is bent back and hammered completely over to make a safe, rounded end. The other end is bent straight to form an extension of the clamp body with a mounting hole in it.

I measured the clip and cut and sewed a leather sleeve for it. I cased the sleeve and worked it over the clip, then boned it down. The clip is secured through the outer leather and internal 'slab' (A heavy piece of leather, cased with very hot water to make it stiff) with a thread-locked Chicago screw. It emerges through a slot in the outer.

Cheers,

Badger

Edited by badger

That replica is awesome Badger!!

Love it, looks very true to the original that you show in the pics with the girl.

Great job, I'm jeaolus!!

Tom

Thanks Tom,

It was fun figuring out the colour scheme. I think it turned out pretty well.

I just got a call from a client asking me if I can make a Blade Runner holster for him. It's open fronted with an internal spring clip.....that's a challenge!

Cheers,

Badger

Yes Ray, this piece was sewn on the 'Pilot' :yeah:

Glad to see 'Biggles' is earning his keep, Karl. Just let me know if you ever want to bring him back...

R

No chance mate :gun:

Badger

that's freakin' sweet Karl! Let's see that Skin-Job stamp on there. :lol::lol:

I so want that rifle too.

-Andy

Thanks Andy,

The stamp is actuallythere, under the strap billet.

As for the rifle, please refer to my answer to UKRay :eusa_naughty:

Cheers,

Badger

My hats off to you! You did a fantastic job!

Lilrays