Sign in to follow this  
Keltrey

Tools Bending?

I was working on a wallet last night with my 24oz maul and my basket weave stamp and suddenly I noticed it was bending.

Was I whacking it too hard or is this just the cheap tools Tandy is selling now?

I was working on a wallet last night with my 24oz maul and my basket weave stamp and suddenly I noticed it was bending.

Was I whacking it too hard or is this just the cheap tools Tandy is selling now?

It's the tools. They are definitley lower quality than those from the days of old. I've done it on a pear shader with a 16 oz maul.

A KID broke the tail off a kitten stamp I'd had for a couple of years now...the one on a stem (Craftool), not the 3D

I've had two Hide Crafter tools break in the last month. One was the small beveler and the other was the small background tool. I saw them starting to bend and in no time they broke. So I've picked up a spare of each so if it happens again I'm prepared.

bent over, split, twisted wraped around and cracked enjoy your craptools oops craftool

Josh

bent over, split, twisted wraped around and cracked enjoy your craptools oops craftool

Josh

Steady, Josh!

I had one bend a few weeks back but I gave it to Badger 'cos he doesn't know any different, ROFL...

Not strictly true as it actually arrived bent, new from TLF... I did give it to Badger though!

Ray..............did it bend to the left or did it bend to the right.

thus... we will know if it was an English tool.. :crazy:

i too have had a basket a pear shader and a cam tool all bend on me at different times. I too thought that it was my fault ( and some of it was I amsure) but it is the tools.

Most of my craftools are from the 60's and 70's and have never had a problem with them, but I had some hidcrafters that I received about ten years ago and when stamping saddles they tend to bend a lot. Hide crafters was kind enough to replace them a couple times but since they kept bending I just ordered from Barry king and basically have the same tool in Stainless steel and have not had any bending problems. Thanks Barry! and I did appreciate Hidecrafters for working with me on the bent ones.

Same as Skip; bad batch from Hidecrafters some time back. George was good about replacing the bent tools, but......

Do y'know, Luke - I have a feeling it bent both ways - now what the heck does that make it? :rofl:

Ray..............did it bend to the left or did it bend to the right.

thus... we will know if it was an English tool.. :crazy:

i have to keep many of my craftools separated...

the republican ones lean to the right, and the democrats lean to the left...

if they get too close together, they argue so much i can't get anything done...go figure...

ken

i have to keep many of my craftools separated...

the republican ones lean to the right, and the democrats lean to the left...

if they get too close together, they argue so much i can't get anything done...go figure...

ken

:NEWFUNNYPOST: That's funny!

The newer Craft Japan tools I have from Hidecrafter's are of much better quality than the current line of Craftools.

Hopefully the quality will increase, but thank God for the custom makers...Maybe more expensive, but if you gotta replace tools several times the more expensive tools are worth it. It's not just that the tool bends, or breaks but the time lost going back to the store to get another, or even worse having to wait for shipping.

Do y'know, Luke - I have a feeling it bent both ways - now what the heck does that make it? :rofl:

THAT MAKES FOR A VERY BADD TOOL.....

I'LL HAVE TO SAY THAT NONE OF MY VINTAGE TOOLS FROM TANDY , THESE ARE FROM THE 60'S & 70'S HAVE EVER BENT.......

THE ONLY TOOLS THAT HAVE MUSHROONED ARE THE ONES FROM HIDECRAFTERS..........

Edited by Luke Hatley

I got a set of Hide crafter tools, the set of barbed wire. they're just junk tools. I phoned TLF where I got them from.... They replied, "Thats never happened before, what did you do?""

I gave them away, and bought Barry Kings tools... Very nice, they don't bend either.

Ok I got little carried away Ray I meant to say what a wonder those tools are they never bend break or curel, there made of Damascus steel and are going to last a life time.

And santa is real.

lol LOL

Josh

Steady, Josh!

I had one bend a few weeks back but I gave it to Badger 'cos he doesn't know any different, ROFL...

Not strictly true as it actually arrived bent, new from TLF... I did give it to Badger though!

I'm probably going to upgrade to Barry's tools as soon as I can afford to. I've been so busy trying to get my shop put together and learn as much as I can before I start making items for the public. It has really eaten away the finances and my sanity lately. I'm just glad that I am not the only one that has had the problem and not just taking out my frustrations on my tools subconsciously. ;)

RE: mendedbowl

Do your tools every try to reach across the aisle for bipartisanship tooling?

I'm probably going to upgrade to Barry's tools as soon as I can afford to. I've been so busy trying to get my shop put together and learn as much as I can before I start making items for the public. It has really eaten away the finances and my sanity lately. I'm just glad that I am not the only one that has had the problem and not just taking out my frustrations on my tools subconsciously. ;)

RE: mendedbowl

Do your tools every try to reach across the aisle for bipartisanship tooling?

every now and then i can get them together long enough to accomplish something...but they would rather spend more of their time on pork hide instead of cow hide.

FRENCH?

Just sayin...

Allen

Hello Keltrey and all...

About those tools, as many of you have commented, the craftool brand seems to have taken a step down in recent years. The steel that's being used isn't the same quality that it was. (obviously) The craft Japan tools seem to be quite good up to this point. THe only problem with them, is that they don't make the full range of tools. As to the hidecrafter tools that bend or still bend, and as to the barb wire tools from craftool that bend, the steel content is different yet. They've got zinc in them, and even tho they've got a heavier shaft, will still bend under heavy use. Many of those tools are made by a U.S. based company that has a factory in china. I won't disrupt the industry by revealing what the cost of those stamps truly is, but suffice it to say, there's a pretty good profit margin in them! I know, because I sell all of them. So far, the Craft Japan tools are the ones that we don't have any problems with. And you'll never have a problem with the Barry King line, or any of the other similar lines. Of course, they do cost a tad more....:)

Kevin/Springfield Leather

A metro-craft-tool???

t