Owlflight

First time making shoulder armor

This is my first try at shoulder armor for one of the guys.

I still have to add straps to attach it to him.

:whatdoyouthink:

DSCN0321.jpg

DSCN0324.jpg

DSCN0325.jpg

post-10288-1240246273_thumb.jpg

post-10288-1240246291_thumb.jpg

post-10288-1240246307_thumb.jpg

like them and so glad you showed the underneath - have always wondered how they were joined together - in the past when I did chest plates I normally left shoulder armour out because of that - cheers mate.

Thanks! The underside is the hardest to find out how it's done. I have been searching drawings, paintings, and even the museum for how it was originally done.

very good start on the pauldrons, just an observation

you might want to use chicago screws as opposed to rivets, it makes the pieces a bit more flexable.

Wow. That looks amazing!

The one thing I would say to do different on your next one would be to make the spacing between the straps on the underside just a little more apart from each other, add maybe 3/8" between straps or so on top of what you currently have. It will help the peices stay lined up more if there is a lot of movement going on as in if this was going to be used for SCA combat.

Other than that I say it looks awesome.

Damon

If you use Chicago screws, grab some lock-tite and make sure it has the highest strength. The stuff I use is Red, but it might be different where you are.

I am also very happy to see the inside. I have written a number of leather workers and asked for pictures of the inside of their armor. It shows the most important bits!

These look very sturdy. That looks like 16oz leather, probably water hardened? I like that you took the time and care to dye the inside as well. It's something you only see if the armor is damaged or when it is being taken on or off, but it adds a lot to it.

Pauldrons (covering the arm pit) or Spauldings (no armpit) are a very forgiving peice of armor I have found. A single adjustable strap around under the far arm pit/chest keeps them very secure, unless they are too small and they start floating around, but these ones look to be a good size and shape. Sometimes you need a strap around the arm if they go down the arm far enough. The shoulders are quite possibly the most often struck location (most systems of combat tend to avoid head strikes) so it's some of my favorite armor. Also they just make you look so much bigger and tougher. :)

Mark Charke

Wow looks great.