jbird

Good advise

Howdy all

What's new, well let me start here's my spot and not a good one I must say, I need advise on my leather biz it's suffering in the first I was selling stuff nicley and I was not that good as you all know. I am now selling zip I have tried eBay no luck just a bill, I have a etsy site no luck to speak of. I am totaly in need of selling my stuff because I can't afford it other wise I am low on supplys more then ever before and I am going a bit cross eyed over the hole thing. So what am I doing wrong I now the stuff is ok and is worth selling it's better than what I see around I was just at the gun show and I am telling you I am better than those that were there so what's wrong with my plan what am I doing wrong. I have got some great ideas from ray and I will following through on some of that but I am wondering if you Sages of the battle feild have any advice thanks

Josh

JOSH............i am very lucky i was fortanuate to retire early so the leather work i do

is money to "jingle in my pocket."i do not stay that busy every day ,a lot of times it is

"feast or faminn. there will be dry times and then BAM. ...EVERY BODY WANTS SOMETHING.

that is what i am doing now.

in my slack time i try to build up my inventory for prospective customers. Just hang tight it will

come soon.......

i know the feeling :( i opened a lingerie store which has a small section for the adult toys..not in plain view..and i also have some of my leather displayed. we are 2 months late in our rent, and our bills are building much faster than money coming in. it looks like we will have to close up shop. i really don't want to, i know that in time it will pick up again..but the ones owed money are not going to be much more patient. i get advice to advertise more...great idea!!!! if you have the money for it. so thats a no go. like you..my leather supplies are dwindling. market yourself better?...how do you do that without the dollars to assist in that. maybe put up some local flyers that for the next month or so..saying that during these hard times we will lower our prices not our standards? do you have a local radio station or newspaper? maybe see if you can sponser a contest of some sort where the prize is something from you...like a key fob with your towns name on it or something? i dont know if they would charge you for that or not...maybe tell them that if they advertise this contest for you...that WHEN business picks up for you...then you would be willing to pay for ads when the money starts flowing again. sorry...didnt realise i had typed this much. just wanted to let you know that you are definatly not suffering alone :cheers:

Josh, try making something and donate it to a local cause. It helps me out when I do it, and you're also giving back. If it can or will be displayed, make sure you have plenty of business cards available next to your product.

Well I am not sure what to say but its not a easy road to make any money but man I try and sounds like you do to, as a funny guy often says TAKE LUCK

its take care and Good Luck

josh

i know the feeling :( i opened a lingerie store which has a small section for the adult toys..not in plain view..and i also have some of my leather displayed. we are 2 months late in our rent, and our bills are building much faster than money coming in. it looks like we will have to close up shop. i really don't want to, i know that in time it will pick up again..but the ones owed money are not going to be much more patient. i get advice to advertise more...great idea!!!! if you have the money for it. so thats a no go. like you..my leather supplies are dwindling. market yourself better?...how do you do that without the dollars to assist in that. maybe put up some local flyers that for the next month or so..saying that during these hard times we will lower our prices not our standards? do you have a local radio station or newspaper? maybe see if you can sponser a contest of some sort where the prize is something from you...like a key fob with your towns name on it or something? i dont know if they would charge you for that or not...maybe tell them that if they advertise this contest for you...that WHEN business picks up for you...then you would be willing to pay for ads when the money starts flowing again. sorry...didnt realise i had typed this much. just wanted to let you know that you are definatly not suffering alone :cheers:

thanks for the input guys I am a little more up beat tonight

Josh

Edited by jbird

Hi Josh,

Actually, I'm writing a book on the subject. If you'll email me at Kevin@springfieldleather.com I'll send you my ramblings thus far. Since it's free, you can't go wrong. And I'd appreciate your feed back on it....

Kevin Hopkins/Springfield Leather

Email sent

Josh

Hi Josh,

Actually, I'm writing a book on the subject. If you'll email me at Kevin@springfieldleather.com I'll send you my ramblings thus far. Since it's free, you can't go wrong. And I'd appreciate your feed back on it....

Kevin Hopkins/Springfield Leather

Josh,

Don't be discouraged. I was listing on Etsy more than a month before my first sale came. But eventually, I was getting some sales, until a big project came along and I had to take some time away from it. Here are some general guidelines for selling on Etsy that I picked up along the way:

- What to sell there... A good variety of your offerings, both in function and pricing, will improve your odds for a sale. You can't have something for everyone, but the more you can spread out, the better your odds of selling. Try to add more smaller items, and save the feature spots for your specialties (like those cowboy cuffs - nice!).

- A well-stocked and well-appointed shop is more attractive to buyers than a shop with very few items little attention to the overall theme. Get at least a couple of pages of items to show. Provide plenty of information about yourself and your business in your profile. Your banner is a good concept, but it doesn't do your work justice. Try to come up with a better one. (Sheesh, I should talk - I'm in the process of making a better one for my shop, too. :rolleyes2: )

- The photography must be as good as you can get it. Learn as much as you can about taking good product shots. This is true of any online selling venue. The images you provide are all buyers have to determine the quality of your work, so the time you invest in learning to take good photos of your work will have an impact on your sales. Here's a couple of good places to start:

Product photography tips at tabletopstudio.com

EtsyWiki Photos

And here's a thread here on LW on an easy and cheap way to build a light/photo/soft box.

- You usually get the most traffic from Etsy searches when you have something newly listed. So it helps to list things often. If you have several items to list, instead of listing them all at once, list them at extended intervals. I don't subscribe to the practice of re-listing items that haven't expired, as many seller do. Etsy likes to see the frenzy of new listings, so the searches are weighted in favor of them. I think they need to earn their Pfennigs like the rest of us.

- Participate in the forums. It's mostly sellers who hang out there, but a lot of sellers are also buyers. Every time you post there, a potential buyer may see your post an check out your shop.

There's more, but hopefully this will give you some ideas.

Hang in there, Josh, you're awesome!

Kate

Kate

I can't thank you enough for so thoughtfull and exelent advice thank you I am very much in your debt and please take me at my word when I say that I mean every word I say. I am hopefull thanks to you best of luck on your biz and I hope I can repay you somday.

Josh

Well Josh,

This may sound a little crazy but are your prices to cheap. Sometimes raising them will help sell handcrafted items simply because some people still believe in the old saying "you get what you pay for". And if your prices are nearly free then they may think your work isn't as good as we all know it is. A bit off hear but I know that if I have something of no use to me but may be good to someone else. I put this Item on the curb with a free sign and it will set there for days but if I put a $20 for sale sign on it, SOLD in minutes. I don't really get this thinking, but its true. Don't know if this helps or not but good luck, James

I don't know if you have a physical storefront, but if you don't are there any local shops where you could sell your wares on consignment? Those bracelets could go in a womans clothing boutique or our local food co-op has a gift shop where they like to have local artisans work. Your cuffs and such would appeal to the cowboy mounted shooting crowd. Is there any of that thing going on around you? any local gun shops that might stock your holsters? you've probably already thought of these things, but I thought I'd mention them. One thing that is so frustrating is that when things are slow you have the TIME to work on building inventory, but not the MONEY! Chris

James thanks for the input I will look in to it

Josh

Chris I have tried some of those things and around here in Utah people are very choose about what and how much the spend. I have the time right now to beef up my stock but as you said no cash

Josh

Josh,

I feel your pain on this subject. I barely make it month to month with bills but for some reason it always comes through...usually at the last minute. I have a website as well and to begin with I had quite a few hits on it but a great many people are all talk and no show when it comes to ordering items.

I have sold a few items on eBay as well but nothing to really speak of. I did luck out with a guy in Texas. He inquired about one of my eBay auctions when it came to a holster. He went through my website after he learned of the seller fees. He bought a matched set of holsters and liked them enough to order a matching belt and a knife sheath too. It's people like that, that keep you going.

My suggestion would be to do a little traveling if any type of shows arise, such as bike shows, gun shows, horse shows, craft shows, etc. My Uncle is a biker and is having a large Birthday party to which he invited 10 different clubs from around the state. So we are looking at 200-300 guys and gals at this weekend long party. He invited me up there as the only leather vendor...thank God for him. Instead of making saddles like I intended, I made up prototypes of biker style belts, cuffs, watchbands, holsters, knife sheaths, and key holders. I will show them what they will get when they order from me and let them add their custom detail on paper for me and I will go home, make the items and send the custom orders out to the individuals a few weeks later. It's all about catching breaks and you have to look for them as well.

As my saddle making instructor said; "In the leather business sometimes you eat chicken and sometimes you eat feathers, but when you eat chicken, eat it for as long as you can."

Keep up the good work and when you have a chance, go through the papers for local and sometimes non-local shows where you can display your items for custom orders. It pays to look for work instead of hoping someone is looking for your work. Take care Bud.

Frank

Thanks Frank thats good advice for sure

Josh

Josh,

I feel your pain on this subject. I barely make it month to month with bills but for some reason it always comes through...usually at the last minute. I have a website as well and to begin with I had quite a few hits on it but a great many people are all talk and no show when it comes to ordering items.

I have sold a few items on eBay as well but nothing to really speak of. I did luck out with a guy in Texas. He inquired about one of my eBay auctions when it came to a holster. He went through my website after he learned of the seller fees. He bought a matched set of holsters and liked them enough to order a matching belt and a knife sheath too. It's people like that, that keep you going.

My suggestion would be to do a little traveling if any type of shows arise, such as bike shows, gun shows, horse shows, craft shows, etc. My Uncle is a biker and is having a large Birthday party to which he invited 10 different clubs from around the state. So we are looking at 200-300 guys and gals at this weekend long party. He invited me up there as the only leather vendor...thank God for him. Instead of making saddles like I intended, I made up prototypes of biker style belts, cuffs, watchbands, holsters, knife sheaths, and key holders. I will show them what they will get when they order from me and let them add their custom detail on paper for me and I will go home, make the items and send the custom orders out to the individuals a few weeks later. It's all about catching breaks and you have to look for them as well.

As my saddle making instructor said; "In the leather business sometimes you eat chicken and sometimes you eat feathers, but when you eat chicken, eat it for as long as you can."

Keep up the good work and when you have a chance, go through the papers for local and sometimes non-local shows where you can display your items for custom orders. It pays to look for work instead of hoping someone is looking for your work. Take care Bud.

Frank

Howdy all

What's new, well let me start here's my spot and not a good one I must say, I need advise on my leather biz it's suffering in the first I was selling stuff nicley and I was not that good as you all know. I am now selling zip I have tried eBay no luck just a bill, I have a etsy site no luck to speak of. I am totaly in need of selling my stuff because I can't afford it other wise I am low on supplys more then ever before and I am going a bit cross eyed over the hole thing. So what am I doing wrong I now the stuff is ok and is worth selling it's better than what I see around I was just at the gun show and I am telling you I am better than those that were there so what's wrong with my plan what am I doing wrong. I have got some great ideas from ray and I will following through on some of that but I am wondering if you Sages of the battle feild have any advice thanks

Josh

Josh...

You do nice work. There are some things that I would do to improve business. First, get the Glock holster off the site. It is designed for a Western style gun and is dangerous when used with a Glock. The trigger is fully exposed. The safety for the Glock is on the trigger. So the holster does NOT protect against an inadvertant snag and firing.

You don't want any products displayed which can cause a negative reaction. It spills over. Next... don't put all your eggs in one basket. Use several online channels as well as ordinary direct marketing channels at the same time. Weave them together so one supports and energizes the other.

Add customer testimonials talking about how good your products are and how great it is working with you. If you don't have any, get some fast. ASK for recommendations. If you don't ask, you won't get. So ask every customer to write you a recommendation.

Ask customers to REFER you to other people they know who might be interested in buying your goods. Get 3-5 referrals from every customer. Be aggressive in this. Be active in getting your customers to be your #1 marketing source. They will get many sales for you if you work them.

Don't wait for sales to come to you... go to the sale. You are waiting for sales to be "pushed" to you. You have to "pull" sales until your reputation and customer base generates "push". You have to SELL... not take orders.

Get your product photos fixed so that they are clear and properly lit. Concentrate on the features that people want and display them with excellent photography. Bad PIX don't sell well.

You certainly can do leatherworking well. You just need to touch up your marketing plan a bit, get a few details corrected, and start working the crowd so to speak. In the latter respect don't be afraid to be self-promoting! It works!

Good Luck!

:red_bandana::red_bandana::red_bandana:

Next... don't put all your eggs in one basket. Use several online channels as well as ordinary direct marketing channels at the same time. Weave them together so one supports and energizes the other.

I second that. Don't rely on just Etsy, or just Ebay (ugh!). There are numerous places to list and sell your work from, not the least of which would be your own web site. I'll post a list of some others I have found later on.

Don't wait for sales to come to you... go to the sale.

One way to do that is to make good choices of what to sell in a particular market place. For example, on Etsy, you could do a search of tooled leather items, and make a mental note of what kinds of things are selling there. You don't necessarily want to sell exactly the same things, but you do want to make similar types of things that you know would appeal to the people actually doing the buying there, but unique and original to you.

If you are thinking about exhibiting at a craft show in your region, go to the show, walk around and observe what types of things are selling well there. Each show attracts its own market, and what sells well at one may not sell well at the next.

Kate

I second that. Don't rely on just Etsy, or just Ebay (ugh!). There are numerous places to list and sell your work from, not the least of which would be your own web site. I'll post a list of some others I have found later on.

One way to do that is to make good choices of what to sell in a particular market place. For example, on Etsy, you could do a search of tooled leather items, and make a mental note of what kinds of things are selling there. You don't necessarily want to sell exactly the same things, but you do want to make similar types of things that you know would appeal to the people actually doing the buying there, but unique and original to you.

If you are thinking about exhibiting at a craft show in your region, go to the show, walk around and observe what types of things are selling well there. Each show attracts its own market, and what sells well at one may not sell well at the next.

Kate

I was going to say almost the exact same thing...I know that you enjoy making certain types of items and you are really good at those items. The thing is those items only sell to certain types of people so maybe make a few items that will sell to a broader range of people. Just a suggestion, I would say do a few generic knife sheaths. Like a sheath for a buck 110, how many people do you know who have 110 that have lost the sheath for it.

Maybe make a knife sheath and cell phone case to match and sell them as a set.

Check forums that are sort of leather related to find ideas. I know on a knifemakers forum I saw a guy looking for some one to make him a sheath to hold a multi tool and a firesteel both.

I don't know if you've seen the sheaths that Talfuchre has been posting but he is making those for guys who make custom knives and want to offer their knives with sheaths. Now sheaths may or may not be his favorite thing to make but they are selling and providing him money to make the things he does want to make.

I guess I said all that to say sometimes you have to make the things that sell, so you can make the things you enjoy making.

Hope this helps

David

Thank you all very much this all very good advise and I am gratefull

Josh