fonzman357

How to Strip Leather Sheen?

I've been working on a holster for my dad. Everything was coming together great until the last step.

I applied some Eco Flow Leather Sheen with a cloth, and it came out okay, but I wanted a glossier finish, so I bought some Fiebing's Leather Sheen in a rattle can and applied a few coats.

Disaster.

It dried unevenly, leaving ugly splotches all over the blace. I buffed on it with a rag a few times and reapplied. Same problem. Then, being a newbie, I sorta panicked and tried to wipe the coating off. Some came off easily, some didn't, and now I have a massive acrylic mess all over the holster.

1) Is there any way to remove that stuff and start over without damaging the leather?

2) How do I keep it from happening again?

Thanks!

I've been working on a holster for my dad. Everything was coming together great until the last step.

I applied some Eco Flow Leather Sheen with a cloth, and it came out okay, but I wanted a glossier finish, so I bought some Fiebing's Leather Sheen in a rattle can and applied a few coats.

Disaster.

It dried unevenly, leaving ugly splotches all over the blace. I buffed on it with a rag a few times and reapplied. Same problem. Then, being a newbie, I sorta panicked and tried to wipe the coating off. Some came off easily, some didn't, and now I have a massive acrylic mess all over the holster.

1) Is there any way to remove that stuff and start over without damaging the leather?

2) How do I keep it from happening again?

Thanks!

Deglazer from Tandy's should do it. I takes off Neat Lac.

I was told that the acrylic spray on sheen can be removed with warm water on a sponge.......then a dry rag......i have not tried it yet though........

Actually, what you need is acetone. I think it runs about 7 bucks a qt at lowes or Home Depot or wherever, and that's about all Deglazer is. And you get a qt instead of 4 oz for too much money. It would be good thing to condition your leather after you get it stripped tho.

Best wishes! :)

Kevin Hopkins

Actually, what you need is acetone. I think it runs about 7 bucks a qt at lowes or Home Depot or wherever, and that's about all Deglazer is. And you get a qt instead of 4 oz for too much money. It would be good thing to condition your leather after you get it stripped tho.

Best wishes! :)

Kevin Hopkins

Thanks, I'll give that a shot. I had a feeling the deglazer would be similar to acetone anyway, but it's good to have another opinions as well.

So can anyone tell me why the rattle can product (Fiebing's Leather Sheen) keeps making white streaks on the leather? I make very short burst of spray. They are visible even when I spray very lightly. Please help.

I hate the way that the rattle cans spray they are very uneven. I hate even more that we have to resort to them since there is no more Neet Lac. what I have been doing is spraying it liberally onto a peice of shearling and applying that way, I get a way better finish.

I hate the way that the rattle cans spray they are very uneven. I hate even more that we have to resort to them since there is no more Neet Lac. what I have been doing is spraying it liberally onto a peice of shearling and applying that way, I get a way better finish.

THAT'S a good idea, Tim!

fonzman,

I use saddle lac all the time and have never had any trouble with it at all. I spray it on, let it set for 15 minutes put a second coat on and once in a while I`ll put on a third coat.

It`s entirely possible that you got into a bad batch or a can with a bad nozzle. I buy by the case if that tells you anything, try it on some scrap leather and see if it doesn`t work-out for you. Keep in mind that you should try out new things on scrap before you use it on a finished product. Good luck!

rbrooks

So can anyone tell me why the rattle can product (Fiebing's Leather Sheen) keeps making white streaks on the leather? I make very short burst of spray. They are visible even when I spray very lightly. Please help.

I have from time to time inverted the spray can drained all of the air from the can, then sit the

can upright on a hard surface and open the can with a chisel and put the content in a different

container.

Apply with your choice of material