joppstack

Leather edging machine

Does anyone know where I can buy an edging machine that will round all 4 edges at once? I found a manual one that Weaver sells but that is the only one that I can find. Any info would be greatly appreciated.... Thanks.... Neil

Weavers is the only one that i know of.

Randall makes one, I'm not sure if it does all four edges at once or two at a time, it may do all four at once and you can do a different size for top and bottom.

Kevin

You might want to give Roy Peakes a call. If he doesn't have one, I'd just about bet a road apple to a donut that he knows where one is. 1-508-769-8899. Tell him that Kevin at Springfield Leather sent you.

Kevin

Randall makes the NSB Beveling machine.

NSB Beveling Machine

Bevels all for edges in one pass. Capable of beveling about a gross of belts in 5 minutes.

Randall makes the NSB Beveling machine.

NSB Beveling Machine

Bevels all for edges in one pass. Capable of beveling about a gross of belts in 5 minutes.

This looks like a useful bit of kit - have you ever used one?

That Randall machine looks really slick... Any idea what one would go for.. new or used?... Neil

I have the "Weaver Edging Machine" & it seems to do the job. I just need to hone my burnishing technique. That's probably the weakest part of my leather work.

New machines are priced at $4,650 on power stand. Please keep in mind these machines are built in the US and last for decades. If that's not in the budget, we offer rebuilt machines at $2,900 complete. Occasionally we have used available, or used Italian type machines for less.

UKRay - we have a few machines in operation in England, as well as Europe, Australia, South America...

Hobby Tom - We also carry a line of burnishing machines and accessories.

Just so I'm not accused of shameless self-promotion, you can often find used machines at auction, private sellers, or machinery dealers. Besides the Randall NSB, the hand powered Easy Edger that Weaver sells, and a few Italian models, I'm not aware of any other power edgers currently made. Randall has been around a long time, and we have more specialized leather working machines than any other company in North America.

I have the "Weaver Edging Machine" & it seems to do the job. I just need to hone my burnishing technique. That's probably the weakest part of my leather work.

You seem a little hesitant about the Weaver machine. Have you had any problems with it or experienced less than perfect edging with it?

:red_bandana::red_bandana::red_bandana:

Bree,

It's not edging the liner (bottom strap) of the belt like I think it should. So now I'm playing with the thickness adjustment . There's nothing in the manual that covers the adjustment of that screw.

Bree,

It's not edging the liner (bottom strap) of the belt like I think it should. So now I'm playing with the thickness adjustment . There's nothing in the manual that covers the adjustment of that screw.

Do you have two blanks sewn together or are you edging a single blank? What is the total weight/thickness of the belt?

I ask because I have considered getting myself one of those if and when I get zapped at IBM and go into full time production. They seem to be great timesavers and promise consistent quality. So I am interested in any problems.

:red_bandana::red_bandana::red_bandana:

Bree,

They are great time savers - if they are adjusted properly. I would hate to continue to do this by hand. But for $600 they need to do the job. No one at Weaver can guide me (including Vernon).

But in their defense it could be cutting the belt & the liner correctly. They have to be one "with each other". Sometimes my straps are not straight. They have a slight curve in the middle (I have to work on that one) & I have no reason why. So in the glueing processs, I try to force everything in line & as it dries it moves. No way can you get a nice rounded edge.

If they are not married together & you do not sand them so they are - you will have a problem burnishing, regardless of the edging.

It's just a matter of craftmenship. I try to put out 10 units per day & at my level, it's just not going to happen.

But in their defense it could be cutting the belt & the liner correctly. They have to be one "with each other". Sometimes my straps are not straight. They have a slight curve in the middle (I have to work on that one) & I have no reason why. So in the glueing processs, I try to force everything in line & as it dries it moves. No way can you get a nice rounded edge.

If they are not married together & you do not sand them so they are - you will have a problem burnishing, regardless of the edging.

Tom,

I can see why two ply on an EZ Edger can give you problems.

• The EZ Edger just cuts the corners, like a Bissonnette edger.
    • Advantage = no reduction in strap width.

• Disadvantage = in a two ply or straps cut to width unevenly it will skip spots.

[*]The top and bottom blade sets follow your edges independently.

• Advantage = its a nice design for single straps or uneven thickness (like heavy reins). If your thickness jumps drastically (like 10 oz to 14 oz) the blades will not cut any deeper.

• Disadvantage = I would think soft lining leather can also be hard to edge. The strap is following the path of least resistance.

The NSB (and similar Italian edgers) uses shaped knives.

• Advantage = Trims uneven edges (I don't care how ugly they are) to a smooth round edge. It can true up an uneven width, and much faster than pulling them by hand. Multiple ply straps are not a problem.

• Disadvantage = It will reduce your strap width some. How much is adjustable with the guides. Since its a shaped knife, it will cut everything equally, so if the thickness changes drastically, you'll see a change in the radius.

Weaver used to sell the NSB in there catalog. I think they now only show the EZ Edger because the price is right for smaller shops. They use our NSB machines in their factory.

Edited by CampbellRandall

So is that Weaver Edger $600? I can't get them to give me the time of day.