pella

Looking for a used western wide saddle

I looked all around on ebay, used saddle stores and seem that old nice vintage saddle all have semi-qh bars OR very wide gullet that dont fit my horse.

I really need a wide angle bars, like a real fqhb (more than 90degree) but with a 6" gullet ideally. :helpsmilie:

my guy have withers, he his not mutton like. He his 14.1hands 800-850lbs probably canadian horse mix

I dont like ralide trees (anyway they all seem semi), or synthetic saddle and i prefer leather ground seat...narrowed on the front.

I dont like much silver...i preffer strings, but well, will be open...

If someone see someting like that for sale, someone willing to ship to Canada...

Is that possible without having it custom made or making it myself?

I found it is easier to find an english saddle for him than a western

thank you

Your inquiry is a bit contradictory in terminology. Could you post a picture of your horse to clear up any misunderstanding? Then I will check my stock to see if I have any saddles that will fit. It should be possible to find a saddle that will suit your needs.

Keith

What is contradictory?

I did find a saddle that suit but have work to put on it. I post picture of the tree on the front (yes wood tree) it even fit my donkey well.

Gullet on the tree is about 5-5 1/4 " and there is a good clearance for the withers.

do you think it's ok? it look like the best fitting saddle i tried so far.

If someone have a similar saddle in a better quality, let me know i might still be interrested.

my horse, dont know what kind of picture you wanted

What a cool color... I love that color, silver bay.

I've got one but it's pouring rain, when I have a chance I'll take a look and see if it will suit.

Pella, I would really like to see pictures from the back with the tree on both the horse and the donkey. I am just curious about the fit at the back end of that tree as well and the differences between the species.

hi

Denise: i will take more shot on the donkey tomorrow. I have those 2 shots on my horse i took earlier. I think it fit pretty well. Let me know your opinion

I am happy it fit the donkey, i cant wait to ride him with the saddle when it will be repaired, he will have a harder time to put me down ha ha ha! ahh he's a sweet donkey ;-)

But a donkey back is quite strange and i am not much sure were to put the saddle then i will need a crouper. He his a standard size.

horsehair braider: i do love the color too :-) He is stunning in the autumn, dark brown and cream hair, on the picture he his bleached by sun.

From what we can tell from the pictures, it looks like the angles are good front and back on the horse and at the front on the donkey. When you post your other pictures we'll see about the back on the donkey. Of course these pictures can't tell us anything about rock or total surfaces area, but you can tell those things quite easily. I assume you'll do something about that screw sticking out at the bottom of the gullet lip. :)

There is no screw, it is a string poping out on the horse gullet picture.

Finally the tree dont fit that good on the donkey, it rock. For the horse, the fit is almost perfect, just twist not good were is the stirrup leather. Could be flatter there

thank you very much

Can i say what his the tree angle from the picture? if i ever want to re-order a tree like that?

I'm not surprised that it rocks on the donkey. They tend to have very flat (front to back) backs. I am rather surprised how similar the fit is at the back between the horse and the donkey. I would have expected the donkey to be a lot narrower. But you said your horse is only 800 - 850 lbs so he must be pretty narrow too.

No, you can't measure an angle off the tree and order one like it from a different makers. There are too many other factors that come into play. I tried to explain more about that on our website here.

I am not sure it is my horse who is narrow or my donkey who is extremely fat...he got it overweight and he never loose that over fat. His back is VERY large it is almost like a flat table when you compare to his little size. There is another young female donkey on my street wich look much more slimer, yes i did remember the back was not that wide.