Hello everyone,

Wasn't exactly sure if this should be in Suppliers or Hardware & Accessories, so if one of my threads needs to be deleted, that's fine. I'm curious to know if anyone out there knows where I might be able to get burr-style rivets that aren't made of copper. Steel would be great, aluminum or nickel-plated works fine, too. It just seems to me that the burr-style rivets are sturdier than those rapid rivets that I have, seeing as they are solid. I'm planning on making more belts, and I would like to use the sturdiest rivets I can, but I don't like the color of copper/brass for what I have in my mind. Alternatively, would solid rivets like these work on leather belts? I ask because I would think they would be plenty sturdy, and they seem to come in steel and aluminum.

~Noah

Hello everyone,

Wasn't exactly sure if this should be in Suppliers or Hardware & Accessories, so if one of my threads needs to be deleted, that's fine. I'm curious to know if anyone out there knows where I might be able to get burr-style rivets that aren't made of copper. Steel would be great, aluminum or nickel-plated works fine, too. It just seems to me that the burr-style rivets are sturdier than those rapid rivets that I have, seeing as they are solid. I'm planning on making more belts, and I would like to use the sturdiest rivets I can, but I don't like the color of copper/brass for what I have in my mind. Alternatively, would solid rivets like these work on leather belts? I ask because I would think they would be plenty sturdy, and they seem to come in steel and aluminum.

~Noah

Those look interesting but how do you set them? What retains them?

Those look interesting but how do you set them? What retains them?

Excellent question! I have absolutely no idea, myself. They look pretty much like the copper burr rivets, but without the little washer. I'm thinking that I will probably have to e-mail them and ask

The problem that I see with these is that I think that they are like Steel working rivets. You place these rivets through the holes and peen the heck out of them and it mushrooms the end and in steel they will not pull through the holes, with leather however I dont think that the "mushroom" would hold as the leather would stretch around it and pull through.

Just my thoughts and I am not positive on the retention or the outcome it just seems that way to me. Good luck and keep us posted.

That may very well be how they work, but I would think you could put a washer on it like those copper burr rivets and prevent them from pulling through. I sent an e-mail to the company that makes those, so hopefully on Monday they will respond and tell me how those things work. Also, one of my brothers is in the High School's robotics club, and he informed me that they use steel burr rivets (exactly what I was looking for) on their robots, so he's going to try and get some of those for me. We'll see how those two routes work out, and I'll let you know.

Just a note; just about anything with iron in it when combined with moisture will eventually burn, or rot leather. Kevin

NoahL stop by your local farm store like Running or tractor supply and ask for sickel rivets for mower or swather thay should have all kinds for you. these will be steal ones most with round heads. Make shere to peen them one vice or some think hard not on your marble or it will brake it for shere. You can by sets or just use a ball peen hammer to set them.

Russ

@ Kevin: I had thought that it was iron oxide specifically that would cause the deterioration and discoloration of leather? Being that these are stainless steel, in particular (or possibly aluminum, I'm not 100% sure), I wouldn't think that they would cause that, especially if I put a coat of clear nail polish over the pieces first, although I'm not sure how well that would work either.

@Russ: Are those pop rivets? I found a few images of sickle bar rivets on Google, but a search of the TSC website only brought up copper burr rivets, Easy-To-Do rivets, pop rivets, and these, which I can't tell if they are solid or hollow. Are those what you are referring to?

Thanks for your help, both of you!

that is them but they are high priced there i buy a box of 100 for that. Those are solid a pop rive has a nail thing coming out of them might check the farm equp dealers .

Russ

that is them but they are high priced there i buy a box of 100 for that. Those are solid a pop rive has a nail thing coming out of them might check the farm equp dealers .

Russ

Sounds like Russ has had the fun of setting a few of those. We did too, we used a short piece of train track with a divot for the rivet head on our IHC mower sickle. Those nut and bolt replacements would have been nice, but kinda expensive. Grandpa had a tool that he'd screw down over the rivet, had a piece on each side to hold it and pinch it. When we had some that were too long, we'd heat them and then beat them down.

Question about the burr rivets, how long/how much would normally stick up above the leather before setting it with the splash tool? So far I've gotten all mine from http://www.brettunsvillage.com/leather/parts/parts.html

thanks, Mick

I use tubular rivets on my seats and on most of my projects. The ends mushroom out really well and you can use a small washer on the end to be peened when joining two pieces of leather. They should have them at your local hardware store. They are El Fantastico!

I use tubular rivets on my seats and on most of my projects. The ends mushroom out really well and you can use a small washer on the end to be peened when joining two pieces of leather. They should have them at your local hardware store. They are El Fantastico!

Are they smooth enough on the back for belts, do you think? If they would be strong enough and aren't going to tear up dress pants, then that would probably work if my brother can't get me any of the burr-style steel rivets.

Are they smooth enough on the back for belts, do you think? If they would be strong enough and aren't going to tear up dress pants, then that would probably work if my brother can't get me any of the burr-style steel rivets.

Yes. The ones I've been getting lately ,mushroom out nice and smooth and they are very strong! The older ones split when they were peened but they really didn't catch on anything. I use a rivet setting tool to peen them. I think if you try them out you will be most happy with them. There are stainless steel ones available also, but they're kind of pricey.

Edited by bustedlifter

Yes. The ones I've been getting lately ,mushroom out nice and smooth and they are very strong! The older ones split when they were peened but they really didn't catch on anything. I use a rivet setting tool to peen them. I think if you try them out you will be most happy with them. There are stainless steel ones available also, but they're kind of pricey.

Well that sounds lovely! A rivet setter I have, but I had thought I would need an eyelet setter for those. I'm still hoping to get some of those solid burr rivets from my brother, but he takes a long time to get me things sometimes, so this may very well work out in the meantime. Where are you getting yours?

Well that sounds lovely! A rivet setter I have, but I had thought I would need an eyelet setter for those. I'm still hoping to get some of those solid burr rivets from my brother, but he takes a long time to get me things sometimes, so this may very well work out in the meantime. Where are you getting yours?

You're correct, it is an eyelet setter. I buy them at local hardware stores like Do It Best or Ace. The big box stores don't have them. They're in the specialty fastener bins in the same aisle as the stainless steel nuts and bolts.

I am really confused why or what paticurly are you riviting? if you are putting in a buckle why not just use chicago screws? they are crome plated, or come in brass. now if you are doing special belts and are looking for somthing different to put on the belts perhaps Ohio Travel bag would have something that you would like. if you use steel if they get wet they will turn the leather black. and aluminium flakes off so it looks like the leather has a lot of grey junk on it. still wondering what you are actually using the rivets for?

You're correct, it is an eyelet setter. I buy them at local hardware stores like Do It Best or Ace. The big box stores don't have them. They're in the specialty fastener bins in the same aisle as the stainless steel nuts and bolts.

Thanks! I may have to go take a look, then.

I am really confused why or what paticurly are you riviting? if you are putting in a buckle why not just use chicago screws? they are crome plated, or come in brass. now if you are doing special belts and are looking for somthing different to put on the belts perhaps Ohio Travel bag would have something that you would like. if you use steel if they get wet they will turn the leather black. and aluminium flakes off so it looks like the leather has a lot of grey junk on it. still wondering what you are actually using the rivets for?

Really the only reason I don't use Chicago screws is that I'm paranoid about anything that screws in--I'm always afraid they will come loose. I know I could use LocTite or JB Weld, but I'm still paranoid :P. And yes, I was planning on using them for belts, but I have a particular kind in mind--a sort of ring-cinch belt, which by its design seems like it would put a bit more stress on the stitching or rivets holding the ring on. I don't have anything against using something that's brass, I'm just a fan of silvery colors rather than gold, so nickel-plated works just fine. I know that steel will turn the leather black, but that's what my batch of vinegaroon is for--I don't mind brass on brown leather, but I prefer nickel-colored metals on black. I know I'm too paranoid, and probably too picky, but I figured that it couldn't hurt to see if those were out there. It turns out that my brother was wrong--they have steel pop rivets and copper burr rivets, and he mixed the two in his head when I asked about them. I can get solid steel, titanium, or aluminum rivets from Rapid Rivet, but they don't respond to my e-mails well, so they haven't told me if they also sell washers that will fit them, and I suspect they have a minimum order requirement that I wouldn't be able to meet. It looks like Chicago screws and tubular rivets it is :). Thanks for everyone's help!

Get some nickeled solid brass chicago screws and use blue loctite. They will not come off unless someone takes a screwdriver to them. Use the red loctite if you never want them to come apart, though I think you could use a small amount of red loctite for a happy middle ground.

ed

Thanks! I may have to go take a look, then.

Really the only reason I don't use Chicago screws is that I'm paranoid about anything that screws in--I'm always afraid they will come loose. I know I could use LocTite or JB Weld, but I'm still paranoid :P. And yes, I was planning on using them for belts, but I have a particular kind in mind--a sort of ring-cinch belt, which by its design seems like it would put a bit more stress on the stitching or rivets holding the ring on. I don't have anything against using something that's brass, I'm just a fan of silvery colors rather than gold, so nickel-plated works just fine. I know that steel will turn the leather black, but that's what my batch of vinegaroon is for--I don't mind brass on brown leather, but I prefer nickel-colored metals on black. I know I'm too paranoid, and probably too picky, but I figured that it couldn't hurt to see if those were out there. It turns out that my brother was wrong--they have steel pop rivets and copper burr rivets, and he mixed the two in his head when I asked about them. I can get solid steel, titanium, or aluminum rivets from Rapid Rivet, but they don't respond to my e-mails well, so they haven't told me if they also sell washers that will fit them, and I suspect they have a minimum order requirement that I wouldn't be able to meet. It looks like Chicago screws and tubular rivets it is :). Thanks for everyone's help!

something that hasn't been mentioned is The copper or brass rivets with a washer can be turned dark in color by using GunBluing...this leaves them a nice color. You can also use vinegaroon but the gun blue works real fast and is easy to use.

something that hasn't been mentioned is The copper or brass rivets with a washer can be turned dark in color by using GunBluing...this leaves them a nice color. You can also use vinegaroon but the gun blue works real fast and is easy to use.

NOW I'm quite intrigued! I know that there are two types of bluing--cold bluing and hot bluing--but I don't know how to do either one. Can you point me to some tutorials? Thanks!

NOW I'm quite intrigued! I know that there are two types of bluing--cold bluing and hot bluing--but I don't know how to do either one. Can you point me to some tutorials? Thanks!

Hot blueing is not what you are after...

You can just go into most sporting goods stores and by a little bottle of liquid bluing(cold blue)...it is pretty cheap and it will last a looong time. They sell it in tubes but the little bottles of liquid are better for what you want it for.

Just take a Q-tip and wipe some on your rivet head, they will turn color almost instantly. You may need to wipe them with alchohol ect. to take off any oils first, but other than that it is easy and gives a nice antique look. You can do it several times if you have stuborn spots that don't want to color.

Hot blueing is not what you are after...

You can just go into most sporting goods stores and by a little bottle of liquid bluing(cold blue)...it is pretty cheap and it will last a looong time. They sell it in tubes but the little bottles of liquid are better for what you want it for.

Just take a Q-tip and wipe some on your rivet head, they will turn color almost instantly. You may need to wipe them with alchohol ect. to take off any oils first, but other than that it is easy and gives a nice antique look. You can do it several times if you have stuborn spots that don't want to color.

Thank you very much! I will definitely have to look into doing that! I appreciate everyone's help :)

You might find what you are looking in skate supplies as rivets are used to secure blades to the boots.

Hey there Noah.

Ive been putting in rivets for a long time and we have an aluminium rivet which is very similar to the copper rivet and burr that you see available. But

the aluminium is much easier to set and looks great. All those rivets that you are talking about will be very hard to set against leather. It will only take so much pressure. and a steel rivets could rust and look like crap.

If you want I can show you some pics of the aluminium ones and maybe ship them up to you. They come in two sizes which is about half inch and three quarter inch with a washer.

simply put the washer on.....hammer the end so the rivet fattens slightly and then use the setter to force the washer all the way down and stay down, then cut off with side cutters and finish with setting the head with the rounded side of the tool.

I use them for heaps of jobs that need a good solid and very sturdy rivet which looks OK.

Get back to me if you are interested

Cheers

Trevor

"Way Down Under"

Noah....would Chicago screws work for your application? I use them instead of the snaps to fasten the buckle in place.

Also....I think you are under estimating the rapid rivets.....they do come in a couple different sizes.

If you would take a couple small pieces of leather and fasten them together with a couple rapid rivets, you would be surprised at what it takes to destroy the bond. It usually takes me a drill and pliers.