rcsaddles

Ford King Ranch edition

I have been asked to do some leather work on the interior of classic Chevy pickup a guy takes to car shows. He wants it done with similar leather to the King Ranch pickups. Anyone have any idea about the leather they use for those. He says it is more like saddle leather than upholstry leather.

This sounds like a big project that will take a month or better. I am thinking if I know what to get maybe I can get some of the leather while in Sheridan.

Any advise on suppliers, weight of leather or run like the wind away from this is appreciated.

Thanks,

Joe

I can't offer information about the leather but I'm definitely interested in seeing this project underway. I'm going to tackle a bit of the interior on my truck for fun.

Good luck!

Actually: googling gets "castano leather" http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview/id/291963.html

If you're in TX nearby, you might be able to get a hold of King Ranch for some supply.

I have been asked to do some leather work on the interior of classic Chevy pickup a guy takes to car shows. He wants it done with similar leather to the King Ranch pickups. Anyone have any idea about the leather they use for those. He says it is more like saddle leather than upholstry leather.

This sounds like a big project that will take a month or better. I am thinking if I know what to get maybe I can get some of the leather while in Sheridan.

Any advise on suppliers, weight of leather or run like the wind away from this is appreciated.

Thanks,

Joe

Maybe the show in Wichita Falls.... they have lots of boot and shoe leather folks there. And mabe a lead to this "Castano" leather. The thing is, when folks say "saddle leather" you have to wonder just what that is. English saddle leather is nothing like western saddle leather. You wouldn't normally think of veg tan as upholstery. I suspect it is merely a good grade of chrome tanned chap leather that is being made south of the border....

I would just head over to the Ford dealer and have a look at what they're doing to the interiors.

One suggestion would be while you are at the Ford dealership waltz into the parts department and ask the parts person if they have a replacement seat cover in stock. I doubt that they will, but you can get the Ford part number and just for grins see what they charge for it. Chances are good it is produced right here in Auburn Hills, Michigan. They may be willing to assist you in your endeavors.

http://www.eagleottawa.com/

Good luck on the project!

Dennis

Michigan

Eagle Ottawa was the supplier of the hides to Lear Corp. I think that has since changed. Last I knew the leather was coming up out of Mexico. It is the only top grain leather that Ford or for that matter any of the Big Three, (soon to be the big one) use for seating. All the other leather seating is done with splits that the grain is pressed on and covered with a urethane coating. I am a retired seating engineer from Lear, (the seating supplier to Ford) and before I left, I got a couple of hides, but; I have used them up making chaps. The leather is top grain, about 4-5oz. You can almost match it from tandy or Siegal. Actually, Siegal was one of the suppliers for the prototype seats when in developement.

Hope that helps.

Bondo Bob

Eagle Ottawa was the supplier of the hides to Lear Corp. I think that has since changed. Last I knew the leather was coming up out of Mexico. It is the only top grain leather that Ford or for that matter any of the Big Three, (soon to be the big one) use for seating. All the other leather seating is done with splits that the grain is pressed on and covered with a urethane coating. I am a retired seating engineer from Lear, (the seating supplier to Ford) and before I left, I got a couple of hides, but; I have used them up making chaps. The leather is top grain, about 4-5oz. You can almost match it from tandy or Siegal. Actually, Siegal was one of the suppliers for the prototype seats when in developement.

Hope that helps.

Bondo Bob

4-5oz? Wow, I didn't think they'd use leather that thick. Then again, I really had no idea what weight would be used.

Thanks for the info Bob! :)

My ex-girlfriend had one of those trucks, the interior looked like chap leather, that somebody "distressed" (to quote the dealer) to make it more comfortable.

Joe, I know one of the Leather Crafter and Saddlers journal had an article about tooling on the back of the seat of a truck. I don't remember what issue it was in but it was a probably 3 years ago that I saw it. It may have some information on the weight of the leather you need. I will see If I can find that issue in my back issue collection. - Deb

Joe - The article I was thinking of is Jan/Feb 2006 Leather Crafter & Saddler's Journal

"Customizing a Pickup Headrest" If you are interested, PM Me with your address and I will send you a copy of the article. Deb