esantoro

horse hide?

Anyone have a good source for horse hide?

Thanks,

Ed

Anyone have a good source for horse hide?

Thanks,

Ed

why would you want it?

Because it is naturally waterproof and stronger than steer hides.

Brettuns Village carries 'north of cordovan' horsehide; Siegels of CA sells horsebutts & I believe Kevin Hopkins of Springfield Leather (see ad banner at the top of this page) carries horsebutts, also. Call & ask.

russ

I love that stuff, man. The horsehide from Brettuns Village is pretty thin (around 2mm) and pre-dyed and finished, and it's been retanned with oil, so it doesn't really tool, but for as thin as it is it is pretty durable. I haven't had the stuff from Siegels or Springfield, but I just got some from Zack White that is nice--straight veg-tan and pretty heavy-duty stuff. It makes nice belts and cuffs, and I'm making a wallet out of it now

I've heard that horse hide is very tough wearing, and I thought it would be nice to make a bag out of it. I would need about 22 sq. feet. I'll try Zack White. Veg tanned horse hide in around 5/6 oz sounds perfect.

ed

I've heard that horse hide is very tough wearing, and I thought it would be nice to make a bag out of it. I would need about 22 sq. feet. I'll try Zack White. Veg tanned horse hide in around 5/6 oz sounds perfect.

ed

I think Zack White only carries 7-8 oz, but you might be able to get them to split it or find thinner stuff for you. I'd love to see what you would do with that!

Zack White has split tooling leather for me before and done a *fabulous* job. As I recall it only cost something like 50 cents a foot... well worth it. They told me it is easier to take something really heavy first for skiving. Sounds like a cool project!

I use Zack's horse butt for holsters. I can get 2 out of most of them.

Ed, They are small width wise, maybe 12" on the big ones, 8" to 10" on most, and maybe 36-40" long, tapered at both ends. If you want to make bags, it won't do.

Ed has skills, though. I'm sure he could make a bag in a style like this with it--multiple pieces sewn together. It may not be sturdy enough for his purposes, I suppose, but that doesn't mean it's impossible, does it? I truly don't know if it would be possible or not, since I'm a newbie, but I did think about trying to make a bag out of it, and that was my thought for it...

Well, I never really thought of it but I guess horse hide would be good. I just don't think I could stand to use it myself. Don't get me wrong I have stuff made with horse hair but it is hair that I have cut from my horses, and they didn't have to die for me to get it. I just don't think I could wear little rusty.

As per official specifications, the A2 flying jackets made famous by American Aircrew in WW2 were "mostly" made of horsehide.

http://www.lostworldsinc.com/A-2FlightJacket.htm

Barra

Good idea Noah, using multiple pieces and all. I'm just wondering if that style bag is suitable for pumps and heels....

It would be cheaper to just order direct from Horween - that is the Tannery where all the suppliers are getting it from.

And as for the horse having to die for the hide...well so does a cow...and the raw hide comes from Europe (mostly Belgium IIRC) where horse is cattle and served on a plate.

It would be cheaper to just order direct from Horween - that is the Tannery where all the suppliers are getting it from.

And as for the horse having to die for the hide...well so does a cow...and the raw hide comes from Europe (mostly Belgium IIRC) where horse is cattle and served on a plate.

I've used the horse butts from Siegel of California for way over a decade - great stuff.... I always did wonder where the rest of the hide went, though! I would LOVE to get sides or backs of veg tan horeshide. Most of the butts you get are not long enough for reins or longer strap goods, and it is superb for those uses.

It also molds and tools very well, hence it's popularity for holster making. Much finer grained and holds up to long wear better than the average cowhide ever did. Somtimes you get a funky hide pattern from spotted critters, makes life interesting if you don't plan to dye the finished piece.

It would be cheaper to just order direct from Horween - that is the Tannery where all the suppliers are getting it from...

I contacted Horween months ago, actually, and yes, it is cheaper...if you are willing/able to buy it in 100lb increments. They will even sell you nice big pieces, but you have to buy it 100lbs at a time, and at roughly $7.25 per pound, I can't afford to do that--nor could I store it if I could afford to purchase it.

EDIT: I should note, however, that if you buy in bulk from Horween (which is what places like Zack White and Siegels would do), the price goes down, so now that I think about it, the cost of buying one horsehide strip from, say, Zack White (approx. $6.50 per pound), costs a little less than buying directly from Horween unless you are buying a huge amount of the stuff. My head hurts from math-thoughts, please stop me...

Anyway, it's definitely nice stuff, and I know exactly what Kate means about the funky patterns from the spotted ones--my latest horsehide belt has some interesting "blotchiness" to it, but that just adds character ;)

Edited by NoahL