On 12/11/2010 at 9:56 AM, pete said:

Has ANYONE tried my method of treating the edge with just Feibing's antique(paste)? I sand, edge, and apply the paste, then rub with just a canvas. The paste soaks in, lubricates as I rub, and dries in seconds to a really nice finish. I quit using dye (NEVER liked edge-coat)

ANYONE???

pete

I know this is a really old post but I'm gonna try it.

I started to use Edge Flex which is actually made by Fenice out of Italy, once it is applied I let it dry then crank out a heat iron.  the heat iron I found is like the one that is sold at hobby lobby and had a rheostat for adjusting the heat, I then go over the edges to smooth out any rough areas, and it works like a charm, I felt that edge coat sucked as well and wont use it, it is either burnish or edge flex.

I simply burnish well, . . . apply the Resolene finish, . . . and I virtually never have any problems with my edges.

But then again, . . . I always believed in the KISS formula for work............Keep It Simple Stupid.

Works for me.

May God bless,

Dwight

8 minutes ago, Dwight said:

I simply burnish well, . . . apply the Resolene finish, . . . and I virtually never have any problems with my edges.

But then again, . . . I always believed in the KISS formula for work............Keep It Simple Stupid.

Works for me.

May God bless,

Dwight

I'm with you, cept I use balm/atom wax. Good sanding is the key IMO.

Edited by Rayban

I bought some of that antique paste the other day on a whim in Mahogany. If it's as easy as Pete makes it out to be, it's worth a try on some scrap.

2 hours ago, Davm said:

On the dye, any tips on keeping such a straight line on the edge?

Practice, . . . practice, . . . practice.  Use old scrap leather pieces, . . . practice on them and pitch them.

May God bless,

Dwight