MADMAX22

Edging suede???

OK so Im working on some bags of sorts and wanna line them. Ive allways used a pig skin liner and laced the edges or used a vegtan liner (calf or pigskin) then stitched and burnished like normal.

Right now I was thinking of lining my bag with suede since I have a ton of it in 2oz weights. I didnt want to lace it though, just stitch it. Now the question is how do you do the edge and keep it looking pro.

Thanks for the input.

sand the edges smooth, burnish with water and device of your choosing, and then use an edge paint or dye. Depending on the tyoe of leather you're using, darker edge finishes work the best.

Where are you getting your 2 oz suede? I've tried pigskin but can't find a good supplier.

ed

OK so Im working on some bags of sorts and wanna line them. Ive allways used a pig skin liner and laced the edges or used a vegtan liner (calf or pigskin) then stitched and burnished like normal.

Right now I was thinking of lining my bag with suede since I have a ton of it in 2oz weights. I didnt want to lace it though, just stitch it. Now the question is how do you do the edge and keep it looking pro.

Thanks for the input.

sand the edges smooth, burnish with water and device of your choosing, and then use an edge paint or dye. Depending on the tyoe of leather you're using, darker edge finishes work the best.

Where are you getting your 2 oz suede? I've tried pigskin but can't find a good supplier.

ed

Its actually ranges around 2/3oz but its just the odd lots from tandy. When I had time to drive down there we would sift thru there suede when it was on sale. Same with the pigskin. Since I dont have time to go down there anymore Im gonna be looking for a good online source myself.

Thanks for the input.

I've tried this a few times and wasn't pleased with the results. What I ended up doing was installing a binding over the edge and that looked a lot more professional to me. I used a strip of 2/3 oz and glued it on. I made a light scribe line to mark where thee binding should be in front, leaving the backside pretty long. After I had finished sewing, I took a #3 edger and trimmed the binding on the back side parrallel to the stitches. Came out pretty nice. The only pix I have are on a rope bag. The outside edge of the bag has a binding and some of the areas on the pocket do as well. I'm not sure if this is applicable to what you are doing, but it is a good way to deal with two dissimilar materials that don't edge well. Here's a photo, hope it helps:

TJS_rope_bag__L_.jpg

post-7682-1242677065_thumb.jpg

Edited by hidepounder

Thanks Hidepounder, thats probably what I will end up having to do. I was looking at a rough edge with the veg tan slightly burnished but still rough. It may in my instance work for the project and go well with it. For most though i think your method is about the best way to get it looking good.

Thanks for the input.

Max, . . . sometimes for one reason or another, I have to line a holster I am making. I "almost" always line them with suede leather from Tandy.

ALL of them have both pieces of leather 100% bonded with carpenters contact cement (the smelly stuff that will make you high and give you a headache). I bond all the way out to the edge by making both pieces a bit big, . . . and doing a "dress" trim with a VERY sharp knife, . . . edging the veggy tan side with a smaller edger, . . . and stitching the edges together with a small stitch.

I then burnish the edges of both just like it was one piece of the veggy tan.

I haven't had any of my customers come back and holler, . . . no separations of the two, . . . and they seem to stay together well.

May God bless,

Dwight

Thanks for the info Dwight

Max, . . . sometimes for one reason or another, I have to line a holster I am making. I "almost" always line them with suede leather from Tandy.

ALL of them have both pieces of leather 100% bonded with carpenters contact cement (the smelly stuff that will make you high and give you a headache). I bond all the way out to the edge by making both pieces a bit big, . . . and doing a "dress" trim with a VERY sharp knife, . . . edging the veggy tan side with a smaller edger, . . . and stitching the edges together with a small stitch.

I then burnish the edges of both just like it was one piece of the veggy tan.

I haven't had any of my customers come back and holler, . . . no separations of the two, . . . and they seem to stay together well.

May God bless,

Dwight

Dwight,

I agree with everything you've said....no arguments at all....but I don't think the results will be the same on a bag with soft, pliable edges. The edges on a holster are rigid and fixed and lend themselves to the finish you describe. I'm not confident that one can expect the same results on the edges of a bag. I've repaired a few rope bags with chrome tanned gussets that were contact cemented, sewn and burnished. On all of them the soft chrome tanned edge separated from the veg tanned leather. They didn't look horrible, but they weren't nice and clean either. That's been my the biggest source of my experience with burnishing the two together.....I could be wrong though...wouldn't be the first time! :bike:

Just thinking out loud....

Bob

That tote bag is the nearest thing to amazing. Well done !!!:notworthy:

Yes, Hidepounder did some amazing stuff. He hasn't been around in quite awhile, though. This is a 12 year old post! :o