Kustom

Hipster Billfold

I need to make my myself a new wallet. Does any one have a cutting pattern for the "hipster" wallet that I can have? It's a bi fold that has six spaces for credit cards.

Thanks, Steve

Hey Steve, I met you in Wickenburg. I noticed that you are from the San Fernando Valley. I grew up in Burbank and graduated from John Burroughs High School in 1971. (Keep your comments to yourself everybody, I don't feel that old). I don't know where to get the pattern you need, but someone on this forum will. I would like to share some old memories together that we never had, call me 1-909-425-2080. Thanks, Steve. By the way, great name!

Thanks, Steve. By the way, great name!

I agree totally.

Geez, Steve....I wasn't even born until 3 years after you graduated.....Thanks! I'm feeling younger and more rejuvinated already!!!!!

Kustom,

I don't have a pattern, per se, but post a pic of what you've got now and I'll try to help you figger one out.

Geez, Steve....I wasn't even born until 3 years after you graduated.....Thanks! I'm feeling younger and more rejuvinated already!!!!!

Kustom,

I don't have a pattern, per se, but post a pic of what you've got now and I'll try to help you figger one out.

Thanks TwinOaks. I'm ashamed to say I don't use a leather wallet right now. I had to stop using my thick trucker wallet because of a bad back. So now I use a plastic (bacon) wallet like this one. http://www.shinyshack.com/uploads/images/l_bacon_wallet1.jpg

I want to make a leather wallet with this configuration.

Steve

Those aren't difficult, provided you've got a sewing machine that'll handle it. If you're handstitching it.......condolences.

Check out KK's tute on building wallet guts (http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=9940) and modify to your needs.

Obviously you wouldn't be making long pockets, but you get the idea on making the credit card slots. One thing I did differently, is that for the slot pockets, I didn't double and stitch. My liner leather's a little thick for that, so I folded the top edge and secured with scrapbooking tape. It's about 1/4" wide, and double sided. That gives the slot pockets a nice finished edge and the tape is pretty much permanent after 24 hrs. That and you'll be stitching the sides of the pockets anyway when you attach them to the wallet back. I measured the width of the cards as they'd be positioned and added 1/2" to allow for the stitching. Definitely use a straight edge and pre-crease the leather where you'll be folding it. Note that you don't have to bind the edges just like KK does, but it sure does look nice.

Just like Kevin suggests, I used 3m spray adhesive to line the leather. Works like a charm.

Let me know if that helps, and I'll try to work up a pattern for the cut outs.

Update: PM'd the pattern to you.

Edited by TwinOaks

Any chance I can get a copy of the pattern? Materials scheduled to arrive today, and I was hoping to start cutting the pieces tonight.

Those aren't difficult, provided you've got a sewing machine that'll handle it. If you're handstitching it.......condolences.

Check out KK's tute on building wallet guts (http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=9940) and modify to your needs.

Obviously you wouldn't be making long pockets, but you get the idea on making the credit card slots. One thing I did differently, is that for the slot pockets, I didn't double and stitch. My liner leather's a little thick for that, so I folded the top edge and secured with scrapbooking tape. It's about 1/4" wide, and double sided. That gives the slot pockets a nice finished edge and the tape is pretty much permanent after 24 hrs. That and you'll be stitching the sides of the pockets anyway when you attach them to the wallet back. I measured the width of the cards as they'd be positioned and added 1/2" to allow for the stitching. Definitely use a straight edge and pre-crease the leather where you'll be folding it. Note that you don't have to bind the edges just like KK does, but it sure does look nice.

Just like Kevin suggests, I used 3m spray adhesive to line the leather. Works like a charm.

Let me know if that helps, and I'll try to work up a pattern for the cut outs.

Update: PM'd the pattern to you.

Instead of all the PMing.....walletpattern.jpg

NOTE: You can use the pattern for cut outs, but I suggest using it as a guide, and making your own measurements. This is done this way to show how things lay out. I don't really have a "pattern" for cutting out pieces.....just a method of construction that is heavily influenced by Kevin King. If you haven't checked out his tutorials, you need to. Now, if you want all that fancy stuff that KK does.....sorry, not my thing.

If by chance you are not a doctor, pharmacist, or cryptographer, and can't read my writing, say so. There's a reason I've had to get good at typing.....

walletpattern.jpg

post-5374-1244078344_thumb.jpg