Used to be Barge, then they changed it.

Now Masters and/or Renia. I learned about Renia from a shoe guy, they have a bunch of different products, but many of them are for synthetics. Some of the Renia hardeners and primers work pretty good with Masters All Purpose too.

Art

I just thought I would start a topic...

I use both Bardge, & master cement on my leather prodjects...

I would like to here from all, on which cement yall use, & why...

I know the fourmular has changed with the enviormantal issues in todays world.

So I want to know your view on this issue.

I think other leathercraftpeople would like to here about it also...

SO FEEL FREE TO ADD YOUR $0.02 in........

PS: Also talk about thinning the cement. ex: how much, how often, & which thinner you use,brand name or generic???

Weaver told me today that the new Barge does not have this hazardous shipping requirement.

Ed....when Barge dropped the hazardous shipping requirement on the new product, they seemed to have dropped the "sticking" requirement also.....

Bob

Not good to hear, since I just put out for two gallons. I've yet to use Barge, so I don't know what to expect regarding fumes. If the new Barge has low fumes similar to the old Tandy CC and Duall 88 that will be one plus.I can't imagine it would underperform Duall 88. From what I hear, Weaver uses the new formula exclusively in its own production environment. I'll give them a call to get some pointers for how they've adjusted to the new formula. If I come up with anything useful I'll report back.

Ed

Ed....when Barge dropped the hazardous shipping requirement on the new product, they seemed to have dropped the "sticking" requirement also.....

Bob

Weaver now sells only the new formula Barge and they use it in their own production. Word from them today is that they have experienced no difference in quality. And they use the new formula in the same manner they used the old formula. Perhaps this should be taken with a grain of salt -- who knows. I tend to get rather lazy when it comes to stirring CC before using. Perhaps stirring is even more necessary with new formula Barge.

Ed

Edited by esantoro

ED. stirring or shaking .....is the main thing to do with the New Barge cement,

Thanks, Luke.

I got the Barge in today and have a few questions.

1. I'm now concerned about making sure I stir or shake cc well before using. It seems rather difficult to shake or stir anything in a gallon container but much easier in a quart container. I will be pouring from the gallon into quart containers. Should I just shake and slowly rotate the gallon container as best I can prior to pouring into the quart container.

2. Setting time: I'll be sure to test on some scrap, but the can reads to let the cc-coated leather sit for 5 minutes to 4 hours before placing both sides of the leather together. I usually like to wait no longer than 15 to 30 minutes before adhering both sides of leather to each other. What has been the experience with this New Formula Barge? Is 15 to 30 minutes workable? Have you been able to get by with just one coat of NF Barge on most leathers or are two coats demanded? One post I read in a musical instrument repair forum stated that two coats of the New Formula is required, but I wonder if this is the case when the NF is not stirred or shaken well prior to using.

Thanks,

Ed

ED. stirring or shaking .....is the main thing to do with the New Barge cement,

Hi Ed,

With old barge or Masters, If I didn't have a little gloss on the glue after 15 minutes, I would put on another coat and wait again and even on some thirsty leather a third coat.

Art

Thanks, Luke.

I got the Barge in today and have a few questions.

1. I'm now concerned about making sure I stir or shake cc well before using. It seems rather difficult to shake or stir anything in a gallon container but much easier in a quart container. I will be pouring from the gallon into quart containers. Should I just shake and slowly rotate the gallon container as best I can prior to pouring into the quart container.

2. Setting time: I'll be sure to test on some scrap, but the can reads to let the cc-coated leather sit for 5 minutes to 4 hours before placing both sides of the leather together. I usually like to wait no longer than 15 to 30 minutes before adhering both sides of leather to each other. What has been the experience with this New Formula Barge? Is 15 to 30 minutes workable? Have you been able to get by with just one coat of NF Barge on most leathers or are two coats demanded? One post I read in a musical instrument repair forum stated that two coats of the New Formula is required, but I wonder if this is the case when the NF is not stirred or shaken well prior to using.

Thanks,

Ed

Thanks, Art.

Hi Ed,

With old barge or Masters, If I didn't have a little gloss on the glue after 15 minutes, I would put on another coat and wait again and even on some thirsty leather a third coat.

Art