scooby

Homemade Strap Cutter Tutorial

I have toyed with buying a strap cutter to cut belts blanks for some time but have always baulked at the cost. I was thinking about making one from scratch but then I had one of those sparks of inspiration…

Take one mortise marking tool from the local market tool store

hpim1347.jpg

hpim1348.jpg

I removed the marking pin by knocking through and then used a claw hammer to remove it being careful not to mark the main 'bar' as this is what the leather will eventually ride on.

hpim1349.jpg

With a very fine blade (junior hacksaw) I cut a slot for the blade from the left hand side as I am right handed – this means that when cutting you will be pushing the blade into the body. I then drilled a pilot hole to take my locking screw (the smallest I had) of which once I had screwed it in once to cut a thread I removed an files the point off to give a flat end to bite into the blade better. The blade is one from my skiver / thong cutting tool but you could use a Stanley blade snapped in half.

hpim1350.jpg

With the blade in place the screw is tightened to hold it in place

hpim1351.jpg

hpim1352.jpg

And finally a shot of it in use… - you must be wary of the exposed blade but that is the same as a number of models in Stohlmans book

hpim1354.jpg

So there you have it! - a strap cutter on a budget!

Fine idea. Next time you remove the set screw, pour thin superglue down the threads and let it dry. Your threads will last a good bit longer.

Great idea there! We're all looking for ways to save some coins.

There's only one thing I wonder about with this modification: It looks like the blade slot is cut at a slight angle, and I'm concerned that this would cause the leather to be pulled off line by the blade.

Everybody probably already knows this, but just in case someone doesn't know.....on a drawknife, the blade is only sharpened on one side, so that the blade forces the leather into the knife and holds it tight against the gauge. If you're drawknife lets leather drift out from the gauge, the blade probably doesn't have enough angle on it. Just a little tip.....

Bob

Is the mortise tool cheaper than a Tandy Strap cutter that is $14.99?

Thanks,

Art

Craftool_Strap_Cutter.JPG

post-195-1243311188_thumb.jpg

Fine idea. Next time you remove the set screw, pour thin superglue down the threads and let it dry. Your threads will last a good bit longer.

Good idea! - will do thanks :yes:

Great idea there! We're all looking for ways to save some coins.

There's only one thing I wonder about with this modification: It looks like the blade slot is cut at a slight angle, and I'm concerned that this would cause the leather to be pulled off line by the blade.

I think it is more an issue of poor photo skills to be honest - it seems to cut well and dosn't drift as far as I can tell

Is the mortise tool cheaper than a Tandy Strap cutter that is $14.99?

Thanks,

Art

Well the Tandy tool is £17 plus delivery here and the mortice tool was £4 :thumbsup: - I thought if it didn't work I could always I could always chop off the end and add the pin back again and have another (albeit slightly shorter) mortice tool ;)

thanks for the kind comments peeps!

Problem with that exposed blade,I have enough of a time with the Safest of tools,nic name is old three fingers...LOL

I have toyed with buying a strap cutter to cut belts blanks for some time but have always baulked at the cost. I was thinking about making one from scratch but then I had one of those sparks of inspiration…

hpim1347.jpg

hpim1348.jpg

I removed the marking pin by knocking through and then used a claw hammer to remove it being careful not to mark the main 'bar' as this is what the leather will eventually ride on.

hpim1349.jpg

With a very fine blade (junior hacksaw) I cut a slot for the blade from the left hand side as I am right handed – this means that when cutting you will be pushing the blade into the body. I then drilled a pilot hole to take my locking screw (the smallest I had) of which once I had screwed it in once to cut a thread I removed an files the point off to give a flat end to bite into the blade better. The blade is one from my skiver / thong cutting tool but you could use a Stanley blade snapped in half.

hpim1350.jpg

hpim1351.jpg

hpim1352.jpg

And finally a shot of it in use… - you must be wary of the exposed blade but that is the same as a number of models in Stohlmans book

hpim1354.jpg

I intend to use your ideas, but with one modification: I plan to cant the blade to cut leather at a 45 degree angle so I can use in for boxes and many other things that empoy the box stitch.

sounds like a good tutorial, but without the photos for context.....

Like ^^^^^^^^ he said ^^^^^^^^^^^^ pictures just don't show up............

May God bless,

Dwight

hpim1347.jpg

hpim1348.jpg

hpim1349.jpg

hpim1350.jpg

hpim1351.jpg

hpim1352.jpg

hpim1354.jpg

Where do you go to by the mortise thing?

sounds like a good tutorial, but without the photos for context.....

Like ^^^^^^^^ he said ^^^^^^^^^^^^ pictures just don't show up............

May God bless,

Dwight

It is a 7 yr old post, shhh don't tell anyone.