Sign in to follow this  
canemaker

Hello from Mississippi

Hello from north mississippi

My name is Mike and I am your typical jacka__ of all trades and master of none. I have more hobbies and interests than time or money to support them. But that's how I roll.

Maybe a straight jacket is sound advise.

Anyway. Over the last few weeks i've been sneeking from forum to forum eavesdropping on all of you insanely talented leather addicts.

My 3 year interest in leathercraft so far has been mainly tandy kits ( you know. cell phone casses, check books etc.)other than that I have managed two original projects . A sheath for my hand axe and a celtic knot 2.5 in bracer. My first finished piece. I'm not very good with dyes or color coordinating. Aside from that and the many other flaws, would some of you folks critique my work and give me some ideas on how to produce fewer tool marks?

I know :rolleyes:

practice practice practice

I appreciate any constructive criticism.

If It's constructive I can build on it. HEHE

Thank you in advance.

It is an honor and a priveledge to be among this kind of creativity!

Mike P5250011a.JPGP5250013a.JPGP5250024a.JPGP5250026a.JPG

P5250019a.JPG

post-10219-1243315715_thumb.jpg

post-10219-1243316204_thumb.jpg

post-10219-1243316539_thumb.jpg

post-10219-1243316750_thumb.jpg

post-10219-1243317031_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the forum, Mike.

Your design work looks very attractive but I'm sure that you will learn a lot from the clever folks that post here.

My only suggestion is that you take more time to get the tool positioning right when you bevel your edges. Scrappy bevelling is the curse of the beginner - and lots of people who have had plenty of time to perfect their technique too! LOL

The temptation is to rush at a project when enthusiasm gets the better of you. Just take your time and make sure you bevel the swivel knife cut - not alongside it because that leads to an unsightly thin sliver of leather instead of a crisp cut line.

Practice, practice and more practice and you'll be a lot happier with your work.

Ray

Hey Mike,

Welcome to the forum. I'm a Mississippi export myself. Grew up near Kosciusko. Lots of good folks on here with great advice, tips & tricks. Looks like you're off to a good start there.

Keep poundin'..:)

Welcome to the forum. Enjoy and learn from each and every visit.

Canemaker........Welcome.When you Come to Memphis to shop at Tandy have Bob to

call me we'll have coffey & Jawbone for a spell.....

where are you in North Mississippi?

Edited by Luke Hatley

thank you guys for the warm welcome.

Ray , You are exactly right. I get anxious when I start to see something come to life and I tend to pickup the pace. I am not by nature a patient person. But that is something I can keep working on. When working on wood I can only go as quick as the wood will allow. I guess I will just have to think of leather the same way.

Luke, It is a pleasure to meet someone local. I live about 45 minutes south of Memphis near Batesville and Enid Lake ( straight shot down 55 ). I am always coming up there for one reason or another. when next I am at Tandy I'll ask bBob to give you a call.

Thanx again folks

Mike

Celtic knotting is a tricky adventure. You chose a nice smooth pattern and i agree beveling is the bain of many toolers existences. i will say that once you get hooked on the celtic knots, you will LOVE it. Buzz anytime to ask questions. Happy leather banging.