I am in search of the pattern for "gypsy shoes". It was a kit offered long ago from tandy. The are basicly womens flats. I don't think there was ever a pattern released, but the shoes were sold as a kit. I am hoping that someone has a set that has been copied.

I want to make a pair for my girlfriend, because I love her and she does a lot for me.

Aaron

Do you have a picture by chance?

I know Jordan makes some kick butt sandals. He may be able to help.

Sorry, but no. There are a pair at the local Tandy though. I may have to try getting all the measurements off them and go from there. I was just hoping...

These appear to be basically moccasins with an extra piece sewn in on the inside at the instep. Tandy sells a little book of Native American moccasin patterns, and there are some in there that are similar to these shoes. You would probably need to experiment with some cheap split leather first. Getting the heavy sole molded to turn up around the edges would be the hardest part I think. I'm guessing you would need a shoe last or some kind of mold for that.

Hello Aaron,

I found the kit about two times on ebay, but I could not bid on them. It is always a bit expensive with postage and customs to import them to Germany.

But I collect almost every interesting picture /pattern to create one day the items.

These are the pictures I found.

gipsy.jpg leather_kit_shoes_red_box_all_jpg_not_suquoa.jpg leather_kit_shoes_red_box_all_jpg_suqua.jpg leather_kit_shoes_red_box_all_jpg_suqua_jpg_good.jpg

Perhaps you can create the pattern with the help of the pictures.

Gesa

gipsy.jpg

leather_kit_shoes_red_box_all_jpg_not_suquoa.jpg

leather_kit_shoes_red_box_all_jpg_suqua.jpg

leather_kit_shoes_red_box_all_jpg_suqua_jpg_good.jpg

post-130-1244279087_thumb.jpg

post-130-1244279099_thumb.jpg

post-130-1244279111_thumb.jpg

post-130-1244279124_thumb.jpg

Thank you Gesa. Those are the first pics I have seen of an unfinished set. The pattern will help a lot too, I will mess around with enlarging it and see if I can get the sizing correct. It is interesting that thee were evidently at least two styles of these shoes sold. The pics to the right are of a differnat shoe.

The soles are molded. I spent part of the day making a set of lasts to form the sole over. I will start with very thick leather and skive it down around the edges, then form. That is how it looks like they did them in the kit. Of course one of the issues with shoes is there are so many sizes. I am using a set of insoles out of my girlfriends shoes and a tracing around her foot to work with. If I can stay motivated, I should have this figured out in a few days. Been reading all I can about shoe and sandel making to get tips.

Aaron

Today I looked through my collection of old Tandy catalogs and found these Kits in the Fall-Winter Catalog from 1959:

tandy1.jpg tandy.jpg

More ideas to build similar shoes....

Gesa

tandy.jpg

tandy1.jpg

post-130-1244368168_thumb.jpg

post-130-1244368237_thumb.jpg

Another step forward. I have the forms for the soles made. I am waiting for the formed leather to dry (one foot) and going to do a test fit before I do the other foot. I was PMed a scan of the continental gypsies, very cool. My initial plan was to make one set of the suburban ones, I think before I am done I will end up making both designs now. I get obsesed with these things and it can be a lot of fun to make them.

Hey all, I am looking for a pattern gypsie shoe.

Does anyone have one they wouldn't mind sharing?

THANK from THAILAND

http://www.planetshoes.com/itemmatrix.asp?...amp;cc=Footwear

I bought these shoes at wal-mart the other week --- if you look at the pic really close the top part are "sewed" onto the sole.

I'll bet you could unsew them and reuse the sole for a different style of shoe.

they are really comfy shoes and the bottom has a nice rubber grip sole. I am thinking about going back and finding a pair that is a bit closer to fitting than the ones I have and trying it out

I took another step forward. I have not been doing any leatherwork lately, but did look at ebay... I just bought a pair of nearly perfect shoes for $15 shipped. They come with the origonal box ( I will end up donating that to the local Tandy). I will end up using them for R&D, then complete they set I am working on. This is a fun project.

I took another step forward. I have not been doing any leatherwork lately, but did look at ebay... I just bought a pair of nearly perfect shoes for $15 shipped. They come with the origonal box ( I will end up donating that to the local Tandy). I will end up using them for R&D, then complete they set I am working on. This is a fun project.

Hey Electrathon,

How did those shoes turn out? I look at the ones on the wall on the Gresham Tandy every time I am there wishing I could get the pattern. Did you get the kit for $15 or the actual shoes? Would you by chance have a pattern you would be willing to share?

Brad

Hey Electrathon,

How did those shoes turn out? I look at the ones on the wall on the Gresham Tandy every time I am there wishing I could get the pattern. Did you get the kit for $15 or the actual shoes? Would you by chance have a pattern you would be willing to share?

Brad

I got the actual shoes for the $15, I was amazed and happy! I also have a copy of the pattern taht was shared with me a while back. The pair at Tandy is not the ones I bought, the ones I have are very similar to them. I have a mold that I made the exact shape and size to fit my girlfriend, I formed a set of soles, and messed up! I was bummed and have not done another set yet (did I say how nice the soles came out till I trimmed then wrong?) I was looking at them a few days ago and need to get going on them again. The pattern I have in on my old computer, I will fire it up and get it transfered over.

Aaron

Edited by electrathon

I got the actual shoes for the $15, I was amazed and happy! I also have a copy of the pattern taht was shared with me a while back. The pair at Tandy is not the ones I bought, the ones I have are very similar to them. I have a mold that I made the exact shape and size to fit my girlfriend, I formed a set of soles, and messed up! I was bummed and have not done another set yet (did I say how nice the soles came out till I trimmed then wrong?) I was looking at them a few days ago and need to get going on them again. The pattern I have in on my old computer, I will fire it up and get it transfered over.

Aaron

That would be awesome Aaron, I would really appreciate it!

I am looking for this pattern. Anyhwere I can find them online or does anybody have their own that they would not mind sharing with me? Thank you :)

I would love to get the pattern also

me also please

Tandy just posted an old catalog picture yesterday on Facebook and relit the interest in the gypsies pattern. I don't suppose anyone ever found an old copy?

Thank you!

Hmm, I found it, but so long ago. I will see if I can locate it.

if you could that would be awesome

I found the stuff. I have most of the original paperwork and a pair of the shoes in the original box. I just need to take pic and post it.