Sign in to follow this  
Jemaddux

Los Angeles or Ventura Classes???

Does anyone know of any classes in the Los Angeles area or Ventura CA area? I sit here reading as much as I can and have gone and bought books,tools, leather and so on. I am just afraid to even try anything thinking I will just screw it up. Tandy here has a somewhat class but I am not really sure how it works (or I am not understanding how it works). They said you come in during class hours with your project and they answer your questions, I can do that here. I want to find something that they say this is what we are going to do and this is how you do it. I figure I can airbrush so I understand the art part of it, understanding the you start here and this is what the tools do part I am lost. I read the section tonight on the edge of the leather and I am really confused on that part now. I would like to also know how you build a vacum form. I had back surgery a while ago so I am not working as much as I normally do so this is suppose to be something for me to do to keep me from sitting here getting depressed I am not working, it isn't working right now. Thanks for any help with direction and thank you all for your great posts and the great work here.

If you are in that part of the state it sounds to me like you need to meet Wayne Christensen at Standing Bears Trading Post in Reseda. Great guy and a talented leatherworker. He has group classes and also individual classes. I know there are more than a few members here who have taken classes and can give you more information and testimonials. There is a guild or two down there also.

Jemaddux,

I have been taking class with Wayne for almost a year now. He's a great leather artist and teacher. His beginning class is very regimented so there won't be any holes in your knowledge. He systematically covers all the basics of leather work in a step by step fashion, this includes how to use all the tools, saddle stitch, dye, etc., and then when you've done that you're free to work on your own projects. You can check out his website http://www.sbearstradingpost.com/leatherclass1.html

I will warn you there is always a waiting list to get in his classes.

Good luck and maybe I'll see you at Standing Bears,

Steve

Thank you very much. I think I know where that is, it used to be the old Tandy leather right there at Tampa and Saticoy if I am thinking correctly. I will try and be there next Tuesday.

Thank you very much. I think I know where that is, it used to be the old Tandy leather right there at Tampa and Saticoy if I am thinking correctly. I will try and be there next Tuesday.

Jemaddux,

His classes are not walk in classes and everyone starts the cycle together. You need to call and talk to them, or go in the day time to see about getting into a class.

Steve

Jemaddux,

His classes are not walk in classes and everyone starts the cycle together. You need to call and talk to them, or go in the day time to see about getting into a class.

Steve

I went by there today and he said his next classes start in July but are pretty much already full but he does do private classes so I might check into that. Thanks for the info.