tazzmann

Lacing a motorcycle seat

What is the best way to lace a motorcycle seat that isn't a pan type seat. but a seat off a 1977 KZ1000. I am adding foam to the seat to make it level as it is a step up seat at the moment. I have made custom sidepanels for the seat and a custom top and need to lace the two together. What is the best lacing technique to lace the at a 90 degree angle? In other words, the top piece will be laying horizontal and the side pieces will be verticle. And how to you keep the beginning lace on the backside secure? Normally the lace itself would do this, but I can't see how it will work with the two pieces at a 90 degree angle to each other.

David, have you done anything like this?

Thanks!

Mike

I by no means an expert in this, but when I did the seat for my Yamaha, I assembled the leather pieces flat, and then folded them after they were laced. I used the Mexican Basketweave, which came out really nice. On two pieces layed side by side, it comes out as a wide and nice looking braid. To form the seat, a lot of people suggested wet molding, which will help conform the leather to the seat contours. I did mine dry, and just streched it out, but wet forming could have gotten all the wrinkles out. I attached the leather by drilling holes in the plastic seat pan, punching holes in the leather where needed. I used aluminum rivets to attach to the pan.

I am not sure if I am picturing the seat on your bike right, but if it is pretty much a box, you should be able to make a box out of leather, using lacing for the seams, and pull it tight without wet molding it. The sides would be attached flat, and then folded over when you did the corners.

For starting the lace, I just held on to the piece until I went through a few stitches, and then it held itself. I tucked it out of the way when I was done. The $7 book on lacing Tandy has has good ways to splice, start and stop this pattern.

Hope that helps.

Thanks AZRider. I actually have that book. Bought it back in 91 I think. I just wasn's sure if the lace would hold since I am not lacing two flat pieces together like a wallet or something. I will give the basket weave a try. I would like to do a two tone basket weave, but the book only covers the two tone double which I have done a ton of. I am sure it is similar, but am not too sure on where to start the second color. I may have to expirement some. :)

Mike