First attempt in making an electricians tool pouch. Looks easy but a lot of varibles to look at when constructing especially with rivets. I started out banging in splash rivets by hand. Soon noticing there would be areas I could not bang them in. Since I want to make more in the future I went out a bought what I think is a late 18th early 19th century solid cast iron Rivet kick press. It works like a charm offering more than a mallet and splash tool can offer. I added one coat of neetsfoot oil and two coats of silicone Saddle oil to darken and repel from rain. Again first attempt. I welcome all feedback!

Stephen

www.greenmanleather.ca

DSC03958.JPG

DSC03963.JPG

DSC03965.JPG

DSC03969.JPG

DSC03958.JPG

DSC03963.JPG

DSC03965.JPG

DSC03969.JPG

post-8173-1243987574_thumb.jpg

post-8173-1243987594_thumb.jpg

post-8173-1243987612_thumb.jpg

post-8173-1243987815_thumb.jpg

Hi tat2,

Nice job on your first attempt. I like the decor rivets you used. My first one too was only riveted and then I went to sew and rivet then to only sew.

Are you an electrician by trade or you made this for others? I am an electrician by trade and still hard at it.

I now have to post my pics of my holster for my "electricians" tools which I now call my tool system. You made yours on your own and you can claim that yet you kept the basic design of a tool pouch.

If this is for you, then may I suggest you REALLY think on how you work and live with that pouch and design one for you AND ONLY YOU. That is what I did. A SUPER CUSTOM leather tool system. Not only did I think out of the box, I got into my car then got on 3 buses a boat and a camel to get away from that box. It took me five years to determine what tools were "really needed" on hand for the type of electrical work I do and it went from there. If you made it for others then disregard.

Please don't take it wrong, the tool pouch is nice yet that style no longer works for me. One ALWAYS has to adapt to what the tool pouch has to offer. You have to knowledge to change that and have the tool pouch do what you want it to. I had to conjure one up and it took three tries to get it just right and I completed it back in Nov 1995.

Njoy...

Edited by qarawol

Great job on the pouch. Sturdy and functional. But if you are like the rest of us there will always something you think will be better. If it works for you then keep the design. I like it but I'm not an electrician, I'm a surveyor and my pouches probably wouldn't work for you. But a question, describe splash rivets, first time I've heard the term. I think I know what they are but not sure. Used a lot on commercial pouches that I'm familiar with but don't know where to get them.

Keep up the good work. And keep posting, like to see other real world projects from workin folks.

Keep on Smilin

Jim

Nice solid and simple design, should last quite a while!

I think the rivets you are using are what are known as 'Star' rivets, here in the UK. They were often used both with and without a washer on the back. I don't think that your rivet setting machine can be quite as old as you think, I would guess closer to late 19th early 20th century, or possibly more recent still. you can use these machines to set 'bifurcated' rivets as well as 'Star' rivets. I use two very similar machines to yours, (The machines on the extreme right and the left centre, in the photo below) but only with the 'bifurcated' type, normally, with a special 'cap' on the back. These, like the 'Star' rivets, are self-piercing, that is, you don't need to punch a hole first.

Steve

bishnym_workshop_Dec06.jpg

bishnym_workshop_Dec06.jpg

post-7482-1244060770_thumb.jpg

Good jod Stephen,nice to see that new machine working for you,I hope to get the junker working soon ,but I need thread ,not sure what size I need!

Steve,

Quick question for you, what is that gray machine in the foreground? Is it a sewing machine or some kind of other fastening machine. Whatever it is can you post some pictures of it as I am sure it would be of interest to other viewers.

Cheers,

Henry

(a close neighbour and advisor of the other Stephen above!)

Steve,

Quick question for you, what is that gray machine in the foreground? Is it a sewing machine or some kind of other fastening machine. Whatever it is can you post some pictures of it as I am sure it would be of interest to other viewers.

Cheers,

Henry

(a close neighbour and advisor of the other Stephen above!)

Hi Henry,

No, it's not a sewing machine it's an 'Epoch' automatic, power operated, eyelet setting machine, made by the British United Shoe Machinery Company. It was designed to punch a hole and then set the eyelet in a single operation, which it would continue to do, as long as the control pedal is held down! This example is set up with a 'blind' punch as the holes are, generally, cut out during the 'clicking' operation. I have posted pictures of this machine previously, however, here are some more for you.

Steve

epoch_1.jpgepoch_2.jpg

epoch_1.jpg

epoch_2.jpg

post-7482-1244151034_thumb.jpg

post-7482-1244151054_thumb.jpg

Hi tat2,

Nice job on your first attempt. I like the decor rivets you used. My first one too was only riveted and then I went to sew and rivet then to only sew.

Are you an electrician by trade or you made this for others? I am an electrician by trade and still hard at it.

I now have to post my pics of my holster for my "electricians" tools which I now call my tool system. You made yours on your own and you can claim that yet you kept the basic design of a tool pouch.

If this is for you, then may I suggest you REALLY think on how you work and live with that pouch and design one for you AND ONLY YOU. That is what I did. A SUPER CUSTOM leather tool system. Not only did I think out of the box, I got into my car then got on 3 buses a boat and a camel to get away from that box. It took me five years to determine what tools were "really needed" on hand for the type of electrical work I do and it went from there. If you made it for others then disregard.

Please don't take it wrong, the tool pouch is nice yet that style no longer works for me. One ALWAYS has to adapt to what the tool pouch has to offer. You have to knowledge to change that and have the tool pouch do what you want it to. I had to conjure one up and it took three tries to get it just right and I completed it back in Nov 1995.

Njoy...

Hey sparky,

Do you have any pics you can share that might give me any ideas? I've gone through 3 tool belts in 3 years because they didn't meet my needs (didn't hold the weight I needed to carry, didn't distribute the weight appropriately, etc.). I'm currently working on making a rig of my own. I'm working out of my Greenlee tool bag and my hip pockets right now.

To Tat2

The only thing I could recommend to improve it is to add a carry chain for holding electrical tape. Other than that, keep it up.

Damon

Hey sparky,

Do you have any pics you can share that might give me any ideas? I've gone through 3 tool belts in 3 years because they didn't meet my needs (didn't hold the weight I needed to carry, didn't distribute the weight appropriately, etc.). I'm currently working on making a rig of my own. I'm working out of my Greenlee tool bag and my hip pockets right now.

Damon

I'll post pics when I get my photobucket pics straight. I posted them before on other forums and I changed a few things on photobucket and it screwed them up.

Let me say that my tool system (pouch) is like no other.

The backing of the main section is a mere 7" x 4-1/4" (178mm x 108mm) and it holds the following tools... three screwdrivers, lineman pliers, diagonal cutters, needle nose pliers, arc joint pliers, wire strippers, electrical tape and a utility knife. Think about that for a moment! All those 10 tools on a backing about the size of your hand.

also...

a) it all fits in a plain jane Samsonite attaché case yet I do wear it when I take it out of the case.

B) comes apart in TWO sections for there are times when I don't need to carry all the tools.

c) no belt needed to secure to the body yet it does help - secured to the body like no other tool pouch (no suspenders, I don't like them)

d) can be released from the body in one second

e) I can look, with one glance, and notice immediately what tool is missing

f) it can be inverted or thrown on a roof WITHOUT ANY tools falling out.

g) I can grab the right tool needed without looking

h) all tools made by Snap-On

i) other added unique features, too many to list on my tool system

I'll let you ponder on that for a spell while I fix my pics.

It also holds, a ratchet set (1/4"-5/8") with extensions, allen wrenches (1/16"-3/8"), open end and box end rathcet wrenches, screw starters, flashlight and nut drivers.

All those tools listed above AND the complete leather pouch that holds everything will fit in a carpenters nail bag while all tools are secured in their place on the tool system. Now think about that!

Njoy...

*edit* spelling

Edited by qarawol

f) it can be inverted or thrown on a roof WITHOUT ANY tools falling out.

I bet that's real handy when you have to play attic/sewer rat and have to constantly crawl over and around all sorts of stuff.

Can't wait to see it.

As a former construction worker, it looks like one I would want to carry. I got a hunch you're gonna be busy. Nice work!

Jim

Hi Henry,

No, it's not a sewing machine it's an 'Epoch' automatic, power operated, eyelet setting machine, made by the British United Shoe Machinery Company. It was designed to punch a hole and then set the eyelet in a single operation, which it would continue to do, as long as the control pedal is held down! This example is set up with a 'blind' punch as the holes are, generally, cut out during the 'clicking' operation. I have posted pictures of this machine previously, however, here are some more for you.

Steve

Steve,

Thanks, looks very interesting. I also have a couple of machines that are set up for eyelets originally but then converted to hole punching machines. The difference being that yours looks like it has a more practical lower anvil.

Thanks again, love your machines.

Cheers,

Henry Veenhoven

Toronto, Ontario

Canada

416-231-1870

Well folks, you asked for it and now you got it. I hope this doesn't constitute hijacking of a thread started by another.

First, here is a picture of it in the plain Jane Samsonite attaché case I wrote about. See how it all fits nice and snug in there along with the other tools such as meters, larger ratchets and such?...

ToolSystem.jpg

Next - Here is the main portion of the Tool System. This part holds most of the tools that I used most of the time. All tools bought from a Snap-On truck. Showing the front and back...

ToolSystemk.jpg

ToolSysteml.jpg

This next picture shows how the two sections come apart. There are times when I don't need all the tools so I carry only what I need...

ToolSystemj.jpg

Coming up is a close up of how the tools stay in place while inverted. See the strap that goes between all the handles? Only the pliers need the retention strap due to the weight of them, all the other tools have a smooth friction fit. I thought of everything on this bad boy!

ToolSystemc.jpg

Okay Okay...

You may be asking... How does all this attach to the body? Well here ya go! I used my daughter as the model.

First - this picture shows the entire Tool System and how it fits on the body. I bet no one guessed a shoulder harness. Notice how the main tools are within hands reach at rest? Looking down at them will let you know if anything is missing since everything has its own slot. See! Even over 10 years ago I liked and thought about Flashlights. Look at its position. I can turn it on and place it back in its slot and use it as a waist light, pouring lumens directly in front of me. PURE GENIUS!!!

ToolSystemm.jpg

Here are a couple up close shots...

ToolSysteme.jpg

ToolSystemd.jpg

This next picture shows the retainer strap the wraps around the belt to prevent the holsters from swinging away from the body. AM I GOOD OR WHAT??? See the quick clip? more on that soon. Also, notice the ring directly below the belt hiding behind the hanging heart key fob. That ring is used with a leather belt strap that has a snap ring that hooks onto that ring. That is how I can carry additional loads up a ladder. Wrap the leather belt strap around the item, clip it to the ring and off you go hands free. I have tested this to 50 pounds so far. YES! YES THANK YOU!

ToolSystemf.jpg

Next - Leg strap. Again, notice the quick clip?

ToolSystemg.jpg

Well folks, here we go. I told you this can be released from the body in one second - Here's how.

Place a hand on each of those quick clips as shown below...

ToolSystemh.jpg

A simple pinch on both clips and VIOLA!...

ToolSystemi.jpg

I didn't have the two-way radio leather pouch pictured that goes in the slot on the back of the shoulder holster. This places the radio antenna completely out in the open for maximum efficiency and the wired lapel mic clips on the front of the shoulder strap...

ToolSystemn.jpg

This picture is showing some of the Snap-On tools on this part of the System. See the socket set? That ratchet pivots 90 degrees so that it can be used as a nut driver. This also has most of the hex or allen bits. WHAT AM TO DO WITH MYSELF???

ToolSystemb.jpg

Even the Flashlight is by Snap-On...

ToolSystema.jpg

Well folks there you have it. The Tool System that took many years to develop. Now you know there are no limits to what you can do with genuine leather.

Taking a few ideas from other projects and combining it into one.

1) Shoulder carry idea from gun shoulder holster

2) Two-Way radio slot on back of harness idea from firefighter

3) Tools strapped to leg idea from leg strap gun holster

I also bet no one knew I had the pliers on their handles. This makes for a much smaller pouch/holster and how I was able to fit all those tools on such a small backing.

While this setup will not be for everyone, it works PERFECT for me. My own leather tool system that I designed and built for myself for there was never a tool pouch that met my needs.

Like I mentioned, I went WAY OUT of the thinking box on this one!!!

Njoy...

*edit* spelling

Edited by qarawol