1horsetown

Questions for the tree makers

I really like the idea of stamping the DL card numbers on the saddle- that could actually help even the production type saddles, or perhaps help people not buy one that won't fit- I think that I will start to incorporate that into my saddles in the future- it would allow the owner to apply something besides anecdote to using the saddle on a certain horse or conscientiously selling the saddle in the future. I occasionally am sticking my foot in my mouth on these forums, so I apologize for that- however I am learning tons to make me a better horse vet, farrier, and saddle maker. I really appreciate input from Rod, Denise, Blake, Tosch, JW, Bruce, Bondo Bob, and all the others who have followed up some of my posts and thoughts here. If any of you are interested in continuing to enlighten me as to saddle fit, rigging position, dry spots, correct saddle building, etc. then perhaps I can be a liason to the AAEP regarding the quality western saddle fit side of the story. I would also love to hear from those who spend a lot of time in the saddle as well as building them as to their take on the dry spot issue. Sorry for getting off subject on your thread here, but I hope the discussion has helped,

Chuck

Chuck, I don't necessarily get excited about dry spots. I have spent most of my days riding lots of different horses each day, with maybe 2 or 3 saddles in the tack room. Not always gong to find that perfect fit. If there is no swelling, and the horse is not sore, then dry spots don't bother me. As someone else mentioned previously........it also depends on what you are doing riding that saddle / horse. The saddle I ride my stud horse with fits him great. If you get on and cruise around the country looking at cattle, or work on some dry work in the arena, the sweat pattern will be perfect. If, like I did this morning, though.......you spend some time roping some fast cattle.......up and down in the saddle, leaning this way and that, you know how it goes..............then the hair was a bit ruffled and little drier in the wither pocket area. Just my opinion. JW

Thank you for the experience- that is what I have found as well. When I am training reiners, working on turns and rollbacks, I find the same thing- dry and ruffled in the wither pocket area. I have been out riding big circles gathering cows all day and get the even sweat pattern. I think a lot of people tout the dry spots as definite poor saddle fit, (just do a google search on the subject and see) when in fact there may be nothing wrong. I have also seen, as I am sure you have, repeated riding with poor fit and the swelling, pain, then chronically muscle atrophy and white spots. I know growing up on the ranch, you had a saddle and you used it on whichever horse you rode- probably not something I would do with what I know now. Again, I greatly appreciate the reply- I think discussions like this can help inform a lot of people who may not know much about saddle fit,

Chuck

Chuck, I don't necessarily get excited about dry spots. I have spent most of my days riding lots of different horses each day, with maybe 2 or 3 saddles in the tack room. Not always gong to find that perfect fit. If there is no swelling, and the horse is not sore, then dry spots don't bother me. As someone else mentioned previously........it also depends on what you are doing riding that saddle / horse. The saddle I ride my stud horse with fits him great. If you get on and cruise around the country looking at cattle, or work on some dry work in the arena, the sweat pattern will be perfect. If, like I did this morning, though.......you spend some time roping some fast cattle.......up and down in the saddle, leaning this way and that, you know how it goes..............then the hair was a bit ruffled and little drier in the wither pocket area. Just my opinion. JW