mattsh

Duke - Western Holster Rig

I saw this picture and wondered if anyone knew how the belt loop is made and the loop around the holster. Is the hammer thong just woven into the backside of the holster? Is the loop around the holster riveted or stitched or laced together? I really am just puzzled by the backside of the holster and how it all comes together.

If anyone has a pattern for this holster that would be great.

I am wanting to make this for my dad, brother and myself.

duke-suede.jpg

Matt the rear side of the holster comes up and over the belt to form a flap. Then the loop can either be sewn or riveted to the flap to make the circle that the holster body slips through. This in turn forms the loop for the belt to go through. There needs to be enough slack in the top of the holster(flap) to allow the toe of the holster to be placed in the riveted or sewn on loop. It can also be put through with the holster body wet which makes it more flexible, therefore easier. This is really just a variation of a mexican loop holster, the difference being slots aren't cut in the back flap to form the loop but made from another piece of leather and attached to the flap to do so. As for the hammer thong most I have seen and made started by simply punching a hole in the holster close to the lip and in line with the hammer. Then a thong is threaded through the hole to form a loop on the outside of the holster. Both ends of the thong are put through the loop and pulled tight. Then the two ends are tied together in an overhand knot leaving enough slack to fit over the hammer. If none of this makes sense let me know and I'll try to post some pictures.

Warren

That looks like John Bianchi's work.

The belt is folded. That is, a double width of leather folded down the centreline and stitched along one edge.

To make a neater appearance on the inside, you could stitch the bullet loops through just the outer layer while the belt was still unfolded, same with the billets. This would leave the inside 'blind', not visible stitching. I think it's classier.

The belly band on the holster could be secured behind with a simple snap, like a line 24. It's up to you.

Remember to cut the pattern for the belly band on the bias, curved, or it wont fit around the tapered holster well.

Hope this helps,

Badger

Matt,

Here is a similar holster I made recently for a Ruger Vaquero. I use a leather tie on the back skirt loop. Snaps and screw posts will work, but I think a simple leather tie looks more traditional.

TimberWolf

HolVbrnTRS1.jpg

HolVbrnTRS3.jpg

HolVbrnTRS1.jpg

HolVbrnTRS3.jpg

post-3267-1244551623_thumb.jpg

post-3267-1244551654_thumb.jpg

Matt,

Here is a similar holster I made recently for a Ruger Vaquero. I use a leather tie on the back skirt loop. Snaps and screw posts will work, but I think a simple leather tie looks more traditional.

TimberWolf

I like that. To make it even more traditional you could use the knot used on latigos. I don't know what it is called but it is really simple. 3 holes forming a triangle through both layers. Thread one end of the tie through each of the 2 "base" holes, and then feed both back out to the front through the top hole. Slip them both under the tie left by step one. Horrible description I know. Take a look at the rigging end of a latigo and you'll see what I mean.

Dan

I like that. To make it even more traditional you could use the knot used on latigos. I don't know what it is called but it is really simple. 3 holes forming a triangle through both layers. Thread one end of the tie through each of the 2 "base" holes, and then feed both back out to the front through the top hole. Slip them both under the tie left by step one. Horrible description I know. Take a look at the rigging end of a latigo and you'll see what I mean.

Dan

I think Dan is describing a bleed knot: http://www.rudedogleather.com/id183.html

I think Dan is describing a bleed knot: http://www.rudedogleather.com/id183.html

No. That I know the correct name for.

Here's the tie I mean

billet.jpg

So what is it called, the tie, not the billet.

Dan

billet.jpg

post-7224-1244592633_thumb.jpg

Mattsh, Everything you asked how to do is shown is Al Stohlmans book "How To make holsters", and its on sale at Tandy's now for $7.50....You won't be sorry, it shows several thongs and how to fasten them, all kinds of patterns, sewing, how to attach, different holster angles, carvings, etc.

I appreciate all of the help and tips so far. A couple of questions:

The belt - what weight is the suede?

The holster - what weight should it be ?

The billets that hold the buckle - what weight?

The holster - ideal weight for it?

Havent made any cowboy stuff before so this is a new arena for me.

Mattsh, Everything you asked how to do is shown is Al Stohlmans book "How To make holsters", and its on sale at Tandy's now for $7.50....You won't be sorry, it shows several thongs and how to fasten them, all kinds of patterns, sewing, how to attach, different holster angles, carvings, etc.

+1 on the book

its the one i used to learn how to make holsers.

here my version/inspiration of the "duke" rig. i use to make all black holsters since its easier to dye, but ive tried using some lighter colors on this rig.

this pic is the back side of the holster. i just used a leather loop and hand sewed it. i like to sew more then rivets since the rivet will eventually corrode.

dukeback.jpg

here is the complete rig with the belt. i did the belt in the same color and lined. i havent added the hammer thong yet since im not sure where im going to put it. i do know from previous holsters, i want to keep it out of the way of the gun when drawen/holstered.

dukefront.jpg

Matt, 8/9 oz. is about right for the holster, even if you line it. I use veg tan pigskin for lining, smooth side against the gun. Don't go any lighter or it won't hold it's shape with the gun in it. I've never made a belt from suede but I have made some out of 3/4 oz. veg tan and it seems about right once it's folded over. I think the billets should be made from the same weight leather as the holster. The heavier the leather the harder it will be to work with but the better it will stand up to use and wear.

Warren

I appreciate all of the help and tips so far. A couple of questions:

The belt - what weight is the suede?

The holster - what weight should it be ?

The billets that hold the buckle - what weight?

The holster - ideal weight for it?

Havent made any cowboy stuff before so this is a new arena for me.

The belt is not made out of suede its a leather money belt. A 4 or 5 ounce blank of leather that is cut double wide and then folded in half and sewn to make a gum belt about 2.5 inches wide, flesh side out. Lee

I just made this holster for a customer who has that rig. It is for a Ruger Bearcat that he wanted to carry as a crossdraw on the offside of the gunbelt.

CW

post-5332-085980200 1315404633_thumb.jpg

post-5332-057592900 1315404666_thumb.jpg

Matt, hope you don't mind but I would like to insert some questions on this topic myself. I've also tied a few holsters to the flaps using that knot dbusarow showed. Don't know what its called but I like how it looks and the simplicity of it.

1) Anyone know what color that holster might be in the original post?

2) What is ideal weight for ammo belt loops? Ive tried several times on butt pads and even after cracking down on them with pliers they still have loosened up after drying.

3) Also regarding the ammo loops, is stitching in between really necessary?

4) I've seen the ammo loops done two ways, cut slot and run piece in and out said slot. This I have tried, the second has a slot for in and out. I can post visually if this is fuzzy. Are there advantages/disadvantages to one way vs the other?

5) Regarding the fold over style gun belt. Is there an advantage or disadvantage to this type of construction or is it mostly cosmetics?

1) Brown :)

2) Good question.

3) The stitch between the loop allows you to stitch all of the loops with one continuous stitch.

4) I've done it the first way, then decided I dint like it because with a little effort, you could pull the ammo loops through the back of the belt. The 2nd way you describe wouldnt allow that.

5) saves work? I dont like it.

1) Brown :)

Everybody's a comedian...

3) The stitch between the loop allows you to stitch all of the loops with one continuous stitch.

Sorry but I'm not following this at all?

4) I've done it the first way, then decided I dint like it because with a little effort, you could pull the ammo loops through the back of the belt. The 2nd way you describe wouldnt allow that.

How do you determine spacing with this method then?

Matt, hope you don't mind but I would like to insert some questions on this topic myself. I've also tied a few holsters to the flaps using that knot dbusarow showed. Don't know what its called but I like how it looks and the simplicity of it.

2) What is ideal weight for ammo belt loops? Ive tried several times on butt pads and even after cracking down on them with pliers they still have loosened up after drying.

4) I've seen the ammo loops done two ways, cut slot and run piece in and out said slot. This I have tried, the second has a slot for in and out. I can post visually if this is fuzzy. Are there advantages/disadvantages to one way vs the other?

5) Regarding the fold over style gun belt. Is there an advantage or disadvantage to this type of construction or is it mostly cosmetics?

My answers:

1. When I did my copy, . . . I used British Tan, . . . toned down with a 1 to 1 ratio of thinner.

2. I use 5 oz for all my ammo loops.

3. No, . . . you can stitch if you want, . . . I prefer the in / out process in the same slot, . . . use a 3/4 inch bag punch for my slots.

4. I had problems with gun belts I bought that were sewn, . . . I do not have problems with the gunbelts I make that use the slotted method.

5. That particular gunbelt was also a money belt. That is why it was folded and sewn only on one edge. On mine, . . . I glue it shut except for enough in the buckle end to hold a 10 dollar bill.

That happens to be a fun rig to make, . . . I love mine, . . . and sometimes hope no one buys it at the next show :-)

May God bless,

Dwight

Re: 5 - It's folded over because it's a copy of a money belt, as mentioned above. On the backside of the buckle end there should be a slot - it'll hold a bunch of silver dollars if you can stand the weight of it. Of course the silver dollars probably didn't last long if the cowboy paid a visit to the Bird Cage or Buffalo Heifer's Parlor ... lol!

Everybody's a comedian...

Sorry but I'm not following this at all?

How do you determine spacing with this method then?

I'm here all week.

I'll try. Mark you bullet loop stitch lines on the belt and on the ammo loops. Make your first stitch to attach the loop strap to the belt. Fold the loop strap over, then stitch diagonally to the next line on the belt. Fold the loop strap back down, line up the lines, and stitch the loop strap to the belt, completing your first ammo loop. Fold the loop strap over again, stitch diagonally to the next line on the belt, fold the loop strap down, line up the lines, and stitch the loop strap to the belt, completing the second ammo loop. Repeat until finished.

Ammo diameter + 2x leather thickness.

Thanks for the help guys. i cut out my first belt blank last weekend and am looking forward to finishing it over the next couple of weeks!

hi mate

the belt is known as a money belt,folded in 2 and left unstitched at the top (for money).

will gourmley sells patterns that has the ranger and money belt inside,hope this helps.