Deno

Gene Noland, a History of the Leather Craftsman

To celebrate the 4th of July, here is a portrait my father did for the Bi-Centennial, in 1976. Enjoy.

1776.JPG

post-10736-1246754243_thumb.jpg

I didn't think we still had this, but I found it last week. It's the original portrait for the Game News Magazine I showed earlier. I am so glad we still have it.

Game_News_1979_4.JPG

post-10736-1247016140_thumb.jpg

Sorry for the long time between posts. Up next is another Doodle page series. Called: "No Game in Sight", series 1D pages 5,6,7,8. A picture of the Doodle Pages and a picture that my father took of the original portrait. I believe that this and the earlier one I shown "Season's End" are both on display at the Al Stohlman museum.

No_Game_In_Sight.JPG

No_Game_In_Sight_Doodle.JPG

post-10736-1248662471_thumb.jpg

post-10736-1248662498_thumb.jpg

Here is, as far as we know, the earliest work that we have that my father did. It is a Hymnal that was my mothers she received from her church when she was a young lady. After they got married in 1955 my father made the front and back covers. The front is of Jesus and is plugged from the back to make his face stand out. The back is of a rose and has the pedals undercut. He then glued them to the original leather binder and laced them right onto it. It remains to this day on a stand right next to her chair.

Hymnal_front.JPG

Hymnal_back.JPG

post-10736-1248664389_thumb.jpg

post-10736-1248664409_thumb.jpg

wow. Amazing.

Ummm Deno, get to work and repair and condition Mom's bible. It needs relaced. You have to take the old lace out carefully with a pointy thing, like a modeling tool or a fid and an exacto knife. Do not let the holes break. Pull the stitches a little closer to the front when you relace it, and be careful with your splicing, and you will be fine. I can't tell what it was laced with, but back then goat was premium and that's hard to find. Kanga lace would work well, I think. You can tell how she holds her bible from the wear on it. Your loving hands should fix it while she can enjoy it. :)

Johanna

PS your Dad was pretty awesome, wasn't he? Thank you for sharing these things, Deno. Thank your Mom too.

Craftsman Portrait contests:

For each of the Portrait contests that my father entered there were a series of portraits entered. Some years he did not win and some he did. What most people have not seen are the other portraits in those series. I would like to share with everyone those that have not been seen. From time to time I will post these portraits from the various series to share with you.

Edited by Deno

AMERICAN EAGLE'S SERIES

No:1

Contest Winner Front Cover, The Craftsman Magazine, Volume XIII, Number 5, July-August 1969

Caption reads:

WWI

This AMERICAN EAGLE – One of the first to fly in World War I. He saw service with the American Expeditionary Forces in Europe, and was the leader of the 14th "Hat In Ring" Aero Squadron. Flying his SPAD in many battles gave to him the highest score for an American Ace of World War I. With 26 victories, His name – CAPTAIN EDDIE RICKENBACKER

Ace_WWI.JPG

post-10736-1250434193_thumb.jpg

Edited by Deno

NO: 2

Caption reads:

WWII

This AMERICAN EAGLE – A Pennsylvanian, gave his life November 30, 1944 like many Americans. Another American Ace, leader of Marine Squadron VMF-214 flew the Chance Vought F4U-1 Corsair, called "Whistling Death" by the Japanese. He had 28 victories to his credit before his capture in January 1944. Later released, he was awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor and the Navy Cross. His name – COLONEL GREGORY "PAPPY" BOYINGTON

Ace_WWII.JPG

post-10736-1250434817_thumb.jpg

Edited by Deno

No: 3

Caption reads:

TODAY

This AMERICAN EAGLE – A member of the United States Air Force, fought during the Korean War and is now fighting in Viet Nam. He has to have the intelligence and reflex of a computer machine with the heart of a lion. His McDonnell F-101 Voo Doo set a world speed record in 1960. Though new planes have been introduced, his ability to fly them is still just as complex. His name – MAYBE YOUR FATHER, HUSBAND OR SON

Ace_Today.JPG

post-10736-1250435087_thumb.jpg

Edited by Deno

Last one of the series, No:4

FUTURE

This AMERICAN EAGLE – The first American to reach outer space and orbit the earth three times. His courage and faith made it possible for all future space ventures that are to come by proving man could live in outer space. On February 20, 1962 he set forth in his Mercury capsule "Friendship 7". His name – COLONEL JOHN H. GLENN

Ace_Future.JPG

post-10736-1250435481_thumb.jpg