Tangent Creations

Friend's F.O. Baird Saddle

Hey all, didn't know if this was the right place to post this, but being that this saddle is quite old, thought here would be good! :) Anyways, a friend of mine has an F.O. Baird that he rides all the time. He loves it. He's also traced one or two others to where they are today, but wonder how it made it's way from California to Indiana. I'll try to get some pics as it's a gorgeous old saddle and in superb shape for it's age!

So, anyone else here know of F.O. Baird?

Never heard of him. NOT!

He was a well known author and talented artist and craftsman. He worked at Porter's. We should all be so good.

Art

Hey all, didn't know if this was the right place to post this, but being that this saddle is quite old, thought here would be good! :) Anyways, a friend of mine has an F.O. Baird that he rides all the time. He loves it. He's also traced one or two others to where they are today, but wonder how it made it's way from California to Indiana. I'll try to get some pics as it's a gorgeous old saddle and in superb shape for it's age!

So, anyone else here know of F.O. Baird?

Mr. Baird, was a great artist and leather carver. He was one of the first people to try and get the early saddle makers to share carving patterns and saddle making ideas. He knew that without sharing that the art wold eventually die out. He got kind of upset with the people out west and went down into Mexico and hooked up with some Mexican artist and began sharing ideas and then came back to the U.S. and started doing some books and having them published so that others could use them. He had at least 3 books published Leather Secrets, Design Artistry, and Leather Art. I read some stuff about him a while back, but this is about all I can remember. Billy P I believe that he worked at Porters, and other shops from Cal. to Mexico, to maybe Arizona or New Mexico.

He actually wrote a few things while working at Porters according to the late Bob Dellis.

He passed away while living in Kerrville Texas and is buried there if anyone is in the area and would like to pay their respects.

There was a decent article about him in one of the leather magazines that predated the LCSJ.

Blake

I have copies of both Leather Secrets and Design Artistry by F.O.Baird. I bought Leather Secrets from Tandy back in the 70's, it was originally published in 1951. The version I have is the 1976 revised edition. The copy of Design Artistry I received from my grandfather and it looks like it is from the 1955 Copyright.

The following is from Leather Secrets by F.O.Baird and was added by D.B.

"About the Author:

The author. F. O. Baird, died in 1971, but before his death he was recognized as a prominent exponent of leather carving whose efforts contributed materially to its astounding growth and popularity during the last decade. His personal history, as outline in Leather Art, is familiar to thousands who have employed the technique which he developed from a lifetime of study, observation, and experience.

At an early age, he selected the leather trade as a lifework and his apprenticeship was in a saddle ship, punching buttons, stringing saddles, and scrubbing leather to be carved. From this humble beginning, the advent of the First World War gave him an opportunity to serve his country and further his practical knowledge of leather work as Troop Saddler in the U.S. Cavalry. In the years following the war, he mastered the trade by practical experience as saddle maker and carver in Western Saddle Shops.

The skills gained were then turned to handcarving specialty leather goods. Soon his exquisite carved articles were being displayed in craft collections, where they awakened limitless possibilities of this method of decoration. Being constantly urged to reveal the secrets of the craft for public benefit his first course of personal instruction for teachers, occupational therapist and hobbyists. During this period he published a manual which revealed for the first time some of the intricacies of the art. This original publication on leather carving is today a collector's item.

The Second World War interrupted his teaching, and he operated his own custom saddle shop, furthering his reputation as a Master Craftsman. As the war drew to a close the enthusiasm of students induced him to devote more and more time to the development of leather carving as a hobby. He soon put his entire efforts and knowledge to bringing the vital new art within reach of the abilities of thousands of eager handicrafters.

As an author and instructor he introduced new ideas in design and perfected methods and procedures of working leather. When professional tools were unavailable for the thousands who demanded them, he freely offered his own tools to be used as model for duplication.

LEATHER ART, his second textbook, was published in 1951 and has been of exceptional value to beginners as a source of basic information on procedure and technique in leather carving. It has been necessary to reprint this work many times to satisfy the increasing demands.

The Baird Home study course was the next contribution in extending the art. This complete course of individual instruction has become an authoritative volume in this country and abroad.

Thousands of handicrafters mastered the basic principles of leather carving as a result of these textbooks and instruction courses. It was immediately evident that a more detailed, comprehensive and advance treatise would be neccessary to carry them from basic knowledge to professional mastery of leather carving and construction. The task of compiling this extensive information was indeed difficult but he approached it with unflagging enthusiasm. Literally thousands of hours were spent in researching, drawing, and constructive proving and now after several years of devoted effort the job is done. At last the complete secrest of the artisan can be placed in the hands of the amateur, enabling him to attain craftsmanship of the highest order.

This unprecedented encyclopedia for advanced training in leathercraft is due to the untiring and unselfish efforts of one man, who ears ago set out with true pioneer spirit to develop, perfect, and teach the art. That man was the author of this book . . . F. O. Baird

D.B"

That's awesome! I wouldn't mind getting my hands on those books.

BEST I REMEMBER e-bay prices close to $200.00

good luck

That's awesome! I wouldn't mind getting my hands on those books.

There is one on ebay for sale now. That is were I found my copy. The do go for a big price. My copy was $150.00. I have a picture of it on my web site www.theleathercraftsman.com look under Legends In Leather

I lucked out big time. I got my copy of Leather Secrets on Ebay also, for $50.

Shirley

I have the Leather Secrets book by F.O. Baird ya'll been talking about. I've been thinking of selling it on the bay. I've had it for years and have rarely refered to it...in excellent shape, no rips or missing pages...

I also have Al Stohlman's Encyclopedias of Saddle Making, Vol. 1,2, and 3.....gently used, but in excellent shape as well..I have refered to these more often......was thinking of building a saddle once, but never got around to it.....

Anyone interested?? Let's talk......I'd like to send these off as a package deal if I could....

IMG_9175.jpg

IMG_9176.jpg

Edited by Rayban

Baird book is sold.

He actually wrote a few things while working at Porters according to the late Bob Dellis.

He passed away while living in Kerrville Texas and is buried there if anyone is in the area and would like to pay their respects.

There was a decent article about him in one of the leather magazines that predated the LCSJ.

Blake

Blake, your post confused me a little. If you are talking about Bob Dellis, he did live in Kerrvile for a couple of years and I got to know him quite well. Benny Veach (Moroe Veach's) son also lived here in Kerrville and had his saddle shop set up at his home in the double garage. Don Atkinson still has his boot and saddle shop in Ingram,Texas. Don was practically raised in Monroe's saddle shop with Benny in Trenton MO. Well with all that preamble, we all used to have coffee and visit in Don's shop for a few years. Bob moved to Florida and he was there when he died a few years ago. Benny moved to Green Castle (sp) IN. and had a stroke and carotid surgery which left him unable to swallow and he is no longer building saddles or anything else for that matter. Don is still going strong at 79, and I'm busy at my shop at age 75. We used to all get together at the annual Boot and Saddle Maker's Roundup at Brownwood, Texas and then it moved to Wichita falls, Texas. Bob made one trip to the Wichita show before he died. Don knew F. O. personally and visited him on numerous occasions when he was in Colorado. They were all professionally aquainted or tied to Porter in one way or another. If I remember correctly Bob and Ray Poja were both at Porters at the same time and shared a house to save on expenses. Bob said he learned half his carving expertise there with Ray. To end all this I don't know where F.O. died, but I bet Don does. I'll ask him tomorrow. Sorry to have bored all of you with this long winded post, but Blake's post just caught my interest.

Paul

I have copies of both Leather Secrets and Design Artistry by F.O.Baird. I bought Leather Secrets from Tandy back in the 70's, it was originally published in 1951. The version I have is the 1976 revised edition. The copy of Design Artistry I received from my grandfather and it looks like it is from the 1955 Copyright.

The following is from Leather Secrets by F.O.Baird and was added by D.B.

"About the Author:

The author. F. O. Baird, died in 1971, but before his death he was recognized as a prominent exponent of leather carving whose efforts contributed materially to its astounding growth and popularity during the last decade. His personal history, as outline in Leather Art, is familiar to thousands who have employed the technique which he developed from a lifetime of study, observation, and experience.

At an early age, he selected the leather trade as a lifework and his apprenticeship was in a saddle ship, punching buttons, stringing saddles, and scrubbing leather to be carved. From this humble beginning, the advent of the First World War gave him an opportunity to serve his country and further his practical knowledge of leather work as Troop Saddler in the U.S. Cavalry. In the years following the war, he mastered the trade by practical experience as saddle maker and carver in Western Saddle Shops.

The skills gained were then turned to handcarving specialty leather goods. Soon his exquisite carved articles were being displayed in craft collections, where they awakened limitless possibilities of this method of decoration. Being constantly urged to reveal the secrets of the craft for public benefit his first course of personal instruction for teachers, occupational therapist and hobbyists. During this period he published a manual which revealed for the first time some of the intricacies of the art. This original publication on leather carving is today a collector's item.

The Second World War interrupted his teaching, and he operated his own custom saddle shop, furthering his reputation as a Master Craftsman. As the war drew to a close the enthusiasm of students induced him to devote more and more time to the development of leather carving as a hobby. He soon put his entire efforts and knowledge to bringing the vital new art within reach of the abilities of thousands of eager handicrafters.

As an author and instructor he introduced new ideas in design and perfected methods and procedures of working leather. When professional tools were unavailable for the thousands who demanded them, he freely offered his own tools to be used as model for duplication.

LEATHER ART, his second textbook, was published in 1951 and has been of exceptional value to beginners as a source of basic information on procedure and technique in leather carving. It has been necessary to reprint this work many times to satisfy the increasing demands.

The Baird Home study course was the next contribution in extending the art. This complete course of individual instruction has become an authoritative volume in this country and abroad.

Thousands of handicrafters mastered the basic principles of leather carving as a result of these textbooks and instruction courses. It was immediately evident that a more detailed, comprehensive and advance treatise would be neccessary to carry them from basic knowledge to professional mastery of leather carving and construction. The task of compiling this extensive information was indeed difficult but he approached it with unflagging enthusiasm. Literally thousands of hours were spent in researching, drawing, and constructive proving and now after several years of devoted effort the job is done. At last the complete secrest of the artisan can be placed in the hands of the amateur, enabling him to attain craftsmanship of the highest order.

This unprecedented encyclopedia for advanced training in leathercraft is due to the untiring and unselfish efforts of one man, who ears ago set out with true pioneer spirit to develop, perfect, and teach the art. That man was the author of this book . . . F. O. Baird

D.B"

You wrote that Leather art was published in 1951. This is wrong, because the copy I have is printed in 1949.

Rgds

Oyvind

Oh well, just going off what was written on the inside cover of my copy.

BillB

Musta not been no "spell check" back then.....

I have a copy of "Leather Secrets" and I use it often for pattern ideas and inspiration.

It was given to me by the wife of the old cowboy who taught me saddlemaking. At the time, I greatly appreciated the gift but didn't realize just how special it was. Now, after reading these posts, I'm super-impressed with the the generosity of the folks who gave me the book.