Hi all, I have a new pistol on order a BFR five shot revolver in .45 Colt. What I plan on building is a real utilitarian holster and belt rig. It will be a full flap holster and I would like to attach it with swivels military style. Do any of you people know where I can buy the swivels or should I make them? There are a number of items that I will be making cases for so I would like about a dozen swivels. This will be a general utility belt that I will be using to carry gear for all day jaunts in the north woods of Minnesota. Lee

Lee, . . . you can do one of two things, . . . one is easy, . . . the other is easier.

If you want the "wire" swivel that kinda looks like a bent coat hanger and goes on to a green military belt, . . . simply cut an appropriate length of coat hanger wire, . . . sand the ends smooth, . . . and bend it to form with a couple pairs of pliers. I have made untold numbers of these things when I was in scouting and in the military. Don't use fence wire, . . . it is too soft, . . . you may lose your holster. Heavy coat hanger wire is perfect for this job.

A better deal I think though, . . . go to a local military surplus store, . . . tell the clerk you want a couple of sliding clasps that go over the military belt and hold stuff on. He may not have the clasps by themselves, . . . but you can buy a cheap ammo pouch for 5 bucks, . . . it'll have two of them on the back. Just make sure you work them back and forth to see they're not rusted shut.

The wire hanger is great for a holster, . . . but if you are going to have pouches (ammo, first aid, compass, canteen, possibility bag, etc. . . .) you probably want to use the sliding clasps on them. The wire hanger has a tendencey to bounce up and down, . . . especially if you are running, . . . makes bunches of noise, . . . and can become un-comfortable.

While you are there at the military surplus store, . . . have him show you a nylon butt pack and a pair of "Y" suspenders. I still have mine, . . . use them most any time I go for a "hike" in the woods, . . . got other stuff for hunting. The belt, suspenders, and butt pack make a good foundation for a solid hiking rig.

May God bless,

Dwight

Edited by Dwight

Lee, . . . you can do one of two things, . . . one is easy, . . . the other is easier.

If you want the "wire" swivel that kinda looks like a bent coat hanger and goes on to a green military belt, . . . simply cut an appropriate length of coat hanger wire, . . . sand the ends smooth, . . . and bend it to form with a couple pairs of pliers. I have made untold numbers of these things when I was in scouting and in the military. Don't use fence wire, . . . it is too soft, . . . you may lose your holster. Heavy coat hanger wire is perfect for this job.

A better deal I think though, . . . go to a local military surplus store, . . . tell the clerk you want a couple of sliding clasps that go over the military belt and hold stuff on. He may not have the clasps by themselves, . . . but you can buy a cheap ammo pouch for 5 bucks, . . . it'll have two of them on the back. Just make sure you work them back and forth to see they're not rusted shut.

The wire hanger is great for a holster, . . . but if you are going to have pouches (ammo, first aid, compass, canteen, possibility bag, etc. . . .) you probably want to use the sliding clasps on them. The wire hanger has a tendencey to bounce up and down, . . . especially if you are running, . . . makes bunches of noise, . . . and can become un-comfortable.

While you are there at the military surplus store, . . . have him show you a nylon butt pack and a pair of "Y" suspenders. I still have mine, . . . use them most any time I go for a "hike" in the woods, . . . got other stuff for hunting. The belt, suspenders, and butt pack make a good foundation for a solid hiking rig.

May God bless,

Dwight

Thanks I'll probably make them. I intend to make the belt with a row of grommetted holes across the bottom border and load bearing suspenders. Somethings will hang others will slide on. Twenty five years ago I was treed by a pack of dogs while I was out inspecting my property and I'm not 31 any more. My wife and I are in the process of moving back out in the country for our retirement and I've always wanted to make an Army style belt rig out of leather. Lee

If you just need a metal wire attachment, as used on GI belt accessories for about 100 years, send me a PM. I have an original sitting in my desk drawer that I can send to you as a pattern for your needs.

Best regards.

If you just need a metal wire attachment, as used on GI belt accessories for about 100 years, send me a PM. I have an original sitting in my desk drawer that I can send to you as a pattern for your needs.

Best regards.

Sorry for getting back so late on the reply Lobo but I just got back in town. Thank you for the offer but I have a couple military knives that have the swivels that I can use for patterns, I hope that when I'm done that I can figure out someone with a digital camera that can post some pictures here. Lee

I know it's been a while since I started this thread. Well heres the update, I got my BFR two weeks ago and have been spending all my free time developing loads for it:thumbsup: I have also been mulling over in my head different designs for my rig. I remember years ago I think it was in Guns and Ammo an article by Jeff Cooper on holster rigs. One of them was a rig pretty similar to what I want to build. What sticks out the most is that the flap on the holster has a steel insert that bends around the front of the gun cased in leather of course that will keep the flap from catching on brush and flipping open. I've decided to go ahead with the wire swivels and am going to start in about a week. I'm sure I'll be bugging you guys with alot of stupid questions as the project progresses. Lee

Is the wire on a military surplus canteen rig the same as on holsters?

Is the wire on a military surplus canteen rig the same as on holsters?

Yes, all the gear had the same so it would fit on the belt. I'm jusy going to make mine. I just received some needles made by Osborne and am ready to start some warm up projects. It's been over 20 yrs. since my last leather project so I'm staring out with some gift projects for friends.

Yes, all the gear had the same so it would fit on the belt. I'm jusy going to make mine. I just received some needles made by Osborne and am ready to start some warm up projects. It's been over 20 yrs. since my last leather project so I'm staring out with some gift projects for friends.

Lee, I also have a BFR in 45-70, 10" barrel that I'm starting to make a holster for. Like you, it's been 20 yr. or more since my last leather project. Anyway, I plan for my holster to be of a California Slim Jim type. I've got it cut out, but needs a bit of trimming yet. I need to get over to Tandy and get some dye and a groover so that I can start with the dying and stitching. As soon as I get something to show, I'll photo it and show it.

BTW, I'll start a new thread of my own, rather than hijack yours.

Edited by Thong

Stumbled across this post a few months ago...

Stumbled across this link yesterday...

http://www.armynavysales.com/products/5-pack-of-military-belt-hook-hangers/

Enjoy, for whatever it is worth. ;)

Red Bear