Got a tuckable. Trying to decide if I like it or not. Also that brown is the Angelus dye. I'm still working out the kinks in using it. The Jet Black is easy. Any other color, not so much.

M&P9c

th_MP9c5Slot.jpg

Commander .45

th_Commander5Slot.jpg

Browns are tough to work with but I like your design.

Were do you get your clips at.

Nice work very clean

Josh

Were do you get your clips at.

Nice work very clean

Josh

Clips are the standard Ctac clips from CompTac.

Those are fantastic Monica...... WOW. I like the color, the design and the detail molding. With the width of the holster body, I am sure they spread out the weight of the gun well. I am not much for wearing my pistols inside my waist band, as my "budweiser tumor" makes it uncomfortable, but I know a lot of people who are not so afflicted and prefer that mode of carry.

-Tac

Looks good. I'm just starting out and I ordered the same Anelus dyes to work with. Expecting receipt of my first side this week.

I was planning on an IWB for my Sprinfield XD9. What weight leather did you use for yours?

Looks good. I'm just starting out and I ordered the same Anelus dyes to work with. Expecting receipt of my first side this week.

I was planning on an IWB for my Sprinfield XD9. What weight leather did you use for yours?

Excellent can't wait to see yours :)

These are 7/8oz (its what I have on hand now). I'm contemplating dropping to 6/7oz for this model. There is enough leather there that it should be pretty stable without being overkill.

Also that brown is the Angelus dye. I'm still working out the kinks in using it. The Jet Black is easy. Any other color, not so much.

I personally think your dye job looks pretty good. What method of application did you use on this one? I agree that browns are tough to work with. However, after several projects I've come to the conclusion that while there are some things you can do to help get an even color, it's okay to have some variance as the leather also plays a factor in how it takes the dye.

I personally think your dye job looks pretty good. What method of application did you use on this one? I agree that browns are tough to work with. However, after several projects I've come to the conclusion that while there are some things you can do to help get an even color, it's okay to have some variance as the leather also plays a factor in how it takes the dye.

On the Colt holster (Herman Oak) I first used a dip in a shallow pan but the leather drank all the dye I had in it :huh: So as I daubered the M&P (some leftover Tandy leather) I daubered bare spots on the Colt. On the M&P holster I used a dauber.

At that point I wasn't being any kind of careful or methodic :rofl:

Naked M&P as it was the prototype

th_mp9c.jpg

I did use the same dye on a belt that came out pretty sweet. It's closer to even than the holsters but it isn't flawless:

th_BrownBelt1.jpg

I think if I used a true dip method, which means a big bucket full of dye that I'd get a better result.

Edited by Shorts

That's a good looking belt. One of these days I'm gonna get around to making myself a belt. The two things stopping me are one...I've only been working from double shoulders and I'd much rather build a belt from a side. And two, the thought of hand stitching an entire belt. :unsure: By the way, next time you place an order with Angelus, consider trying some Sun Tan. They talked me into trying it and it has become one of my favorite colors.

That's a good looking belt. One of these days I'm gonna get around to making myself a belt. The two things stopping me are one...I've only been working from double shoulders and I'd much rather build a belt from a side. And two, the thought of hand stitching an entire belt. :unsure: By the way, next time you place an order with Angelus, consider trying some Sun Tan. They talked me into trying it and it has become one of my favorite colors.

haha Yeah. My first belt I hand stitched over 2 or 4 days. I vowed to not build another belt until I got my machine.

Thanks for the tip on the Sun Tan. I am still in the market for a good tan color that isn't orange. The browns are deep but they are too red tinted to get the tan I want, even reduced.

Shorts - Great looking holsters and a beautiful design, The best feature I think is the muzzle treatment, I have not seen that done before, did you develope it? Good job...

Shorts - Great looking holsters and a beautiful design, The best feature I think is the muzzle treatment, I have not seen that done before, did you develope it? Good job...

Thanks!

For the muzzle treatment you mean the slot cut there on the bottom? Well, I'd love to take credit for it but it is not my original idea. I've seen several other makers do the same and decided to use it here. I do agree with the position that holster bottoms should be open so that debris and junk does not get planted down there. There are some exceptions but I don't think a daily conceal carry is one. It also allows room for leather. Short guns can be more uncomfortable than long ones because they end in an odd place. Extra leather on the bottom adds a bit of comfort.

Very nice. I like the color. That is the medium brown?

Very nice. I like the color. That is the medium brown?

Yup, that's the medium brown. I reduced it 3:1 and it seems to be the shade I'm liking.

Nice work! I like the look of the white stitching on the 1911 holster better than the monochrome look myself, but that is personal preference. Your work keeps gettin' better.

Keep in mind that you may get a lot of customers who want the pistol to ride low in the pants (for whatever reason) so you may consider an alternative t-nut placement for some of them. I adjusted mine to the middle hole for this reason, along with the ability to adjust the draw angle slightly. It is all a compromise one way or another, but this seemed like the one that afforded the most options for me.

Nice work! I like the look of the white stitching on the 1911 holster better than the monochrome look myself, but that is personal preference. Your work keeps gettin' better.

Keep in mind that you may get a lot of customers who want the pistol to ride low in the pants (for whatever reason) so you may consider an alternative t-nut placement for some of them. I adjusted mine to the middle hole for this reason, along with the ability to adjust the draw angle slightly. It is all a compromise one way or another, but this seemed like the one that afforded the most options for me.

Thanks!

I hear that about lower. It was the first thing my husband said. I told him to count the holes and do it himself :P LOL

This model is actually hardware heavy (which I believe on these clips is redundant). I used the Tnuts from DotFasternerDirect with the flat square shaped base and lined the 5 holes underneath each clip.

th_Tnuts.jpg

Now this adjustability is where my hesitation comes in because it is a catch 22. If the holster is lowered, it now places more leather lower down on the hip/leg. I am concerned this would become uncomfortable. On the other hand, I don't want to raise the position of where the clips are mounted because of the holster is worn higher, I'm concerned the clip sticking out the bottom past the leather would be uncomfortable.

So, I guess you could say the height of the leather overall is the thing I'm trying to work out.

I do like the white stitching as well. To do either style takes the different construction process (dye first before stitching or dye last after molding). I just have to be certain that use the right one if there's a request for certain color thread. What I truly enjoy is I can use white thread and it'll take the dye, which saves a little costs there.

Edited by Shorts

Hmm, brainstorming the redundancy, I could chop the clips just beneath the top most hole. At the same time get rid of the bottom three holes on the holster, maybe add one above that top holster hole. Chop that excess leather off the wing bottoms.

Hmm

Nice looking holster. With respect to the clips, I suspect if you took a poll of the users who have those clips you would find that they have either already trimmed off below the third hole down or want to do that. We often did that for the customers. Are you buying those clips direct from Comp-Tac? Do they still require the $400 minimum order for them?

Most discomfort comes from pressure on a small area. The leather sitting too low will probably not hurt, but the clip hanging down can cause some discomfort. I usually tell people to find what works for them and break out the Dremel to remove unwanted materials.

Nice looking holster. With respect to the clips, I suspect if you took a poll of the users who have those clips you would find that they have either already trimmed off below the third hole down or want to do that. We often did that for the customers. Are you buying those clips direct from Comp-Tac? Do they still require the $400 minimum order for them?

Thanks Kevin. I'm glad my ideas are rolling the way of trends and not completely off base. I'm going to give it a shot trimming the clips off.

I bought a handful of clips from CompTac last year and never got around to using them so I'm experimenting now. I do need to figure out how I'd like to go about the clip supply, several options crossed my mind. A bulk order or $400 doesn't sound appealing though.

Most discomfort comes from pressure on a small area. The leather sitting too low will probably not hurt, but the clip hanging down can cause some discomfort. I usually tell people to find what works for them and break out the Dremel to remove unwanted materials.

Good thoughts Jeff.

I think I try to shoulder too much of the comfort issue in the holsters in design. I want them to fit everybody perfect and the reality is, it won't be the case. But I'll do my best to get them as comfortable as I can.