I apply a thin coat of multi-purpose PVA to holsters and let it dry. Then I apply a second coat and clamp together. It glues quickly and solidly. Now I've got the hang of PVA I prefer it to other types of glue.

I apply a thin coat of multi-purpose PVA to holsters and let it dry. Then I apply a second coat and clamp together. It glues quickly and solidly. Now I've got the hang of PVA I prefer it to other types of glue.

What brand PVA are you using?

HEre is a data sheet for Wickes Building PVA adhesive. It doesn't and it contain a lot of useful information, but it makes the Bostik connection.

ed

wickesbpva04413683.pdf

wickesbpva04413683.pdf

Edited by esantoro

Ed

The Wickes PVA is white, and dries clear. I usually thinly coat both surfaces to be glued, and wait until the coating is tacky - only a couple of minutes. Then press the parts together. They can be stitched almost immediately.

Terry

Terry,

That sounds perfect, and it also seems that coating one surface, which is what I do with Tanners Bond, will also be sufficient.

Now I know that such a thing is available, I will find it here in the U.S. I'm emailing Bostik right now to see if the very same thing is available here.

Thanks,

Ed

Ed

The Wickes PVA is white, and dries clear. I usually thinly coat both surfaces to be glued, and wait until the coating is tacky - only a couple of minutes. Then press the parts together. They can be stitched almost immediately.

Terry

Ed

I sometimes use the one-surface method, but I find that the coating needs to be a bit thicker, and the surfaces need to be put together while the adhesive is still wet. This extends the drying time a bit . . . but the bond is still good.

If the Bostik trail runs out, the PVA adhesive that I used to use is UniBond . . . it's pretty much the same as the Wickes PVA, but more costly. It's made by a company called Henkel, and I think they also sell it in the US, but perhaps under a different name. May be worth a try if all else fails. They have a web presence at http://www.henkel.com/cps/rde/xchg/henkel_...s.xsl/index.htm

Terry

Esantoro - the make I use is Platignum. But the Wickes sounds fine if you can get it.

Edited by Brushpopper

Here's word back from Bostik:

"We don't sell that exact grade of PVA [Wickes Building PVA] - most of the building grades

tend to be thicker (higher in viscosity) than the packaging and assembly

grades we sell in the states - but I've got a few that would probably

provide the type of bond you need. The first is our L5299, which is a

general-purpose packaging and laminating PVA. The second would be our

L5263, which is a durable woodworking PVA that meets ANSI Type-2 water

resistance, and is higher in flexibility and adhesion than the other PVA.

One last option would be our M30-029, which is a high-flexibility

high-adhesion co-poylmer product. Samples of all three should be readily

available."

I'm not sure if any of this will be available in orders of a few gallons at a time.

Ed

Isn't woodworker's glue the same kind of glue?

I think Hilly's suggestion of a wood glue is a good one, and I just now found a white, clear-drying one at half the price of Tanners Bond.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006NNJY...851HN49QSYWYBFK

ed

Looks like Lowes (not homedepot) carries some Bostik adhesives but, I can not relate the numbers they sent you. And 2gal is minimum that I see online.

Just got off the phone with Titebond/Franklin.

Three white glues that dry clear and set withing 10 minutes (I'm assuming) are:

Titebond All-Purpose White

Titebond White Glue (rep said this is difficult to find)

Titebond Melamine

Data sheets attached

MelamineTB.pdf

WhiteTB.pdf

AllPurposeWhiteTB.pdf

MelamineTB.pdf

WhiteTB.pdf

AllPurposeWhiteTB.pdf

A quick scan of the data sheets tells me the All-Purpose White is the way to go, as it has a slightly higher bond strength than Titebond White, which appears difficult to get. Melamine is out, as it seems to have a very weak bond strength.

Feeler has been sent out to Fiebing's to get the bond strength of Tanners Bond.

Nothing like R&D for procrastination.

Ed

I think Hilly's suggestion of a wood glue is a good one, and I just now found a white, clear-drying one at half the price of Tanners Bond.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006NNJY...851HN49QSYWYBFK

ed

So far, this link seems to yield the best price for four gallons at about $19 a gallon shipped.

ed

So far, this link seems to yield the best price for four gallons at about $19 a gallon shipped.

ed

Says it dries "translucent", not clear.

Copied and pasted from Amazon website:

http://' target="_blank">

Technical Details

• WHITE Wood Glue-Gallon

• Provides a translucent glue line

• Offers excellent sandablility

• Unaffected by finishes

• Non-toxic and cleans up with water

The data sheet mentions "translucent" and "dries clear and colorless. The data sheet for the All-Purpose White mentions "dries clear" but no "translucent" anywhere.

ed

Says it dries "translucent", not clear.

Copied and pasted from Amazon website:

<a href="http://" target="_blank"></a>

Technical Details

• WHITE Wood Glue-Gallon
  • Provides a translucent glue line
  • Offers excellent sandablility
  • Unaffected by finishes
  • Non-toxic and cleans up with water

It seems that PVA adhesives of all stripes have a shelf life of 12 months.

Has anyone had pva adhesive sitting around for longer than a year without experiencing any loss in adhesion and bond strength? What's the longest you've had it sitting around?

ed

Has anyone had pva adhesive sitting around for longer than a year without experiencing any loss in adhesion and bond strength? What's the longest you've had it sitting around?

ed

Well, if you consider good old Elmers glue to be PVA, I've had a bottle for years and years, and it still sticks stuff together. Sometimes I wonder if the manufacturer says it has a shelf life just to make you buy more?

ed

I bought the Wickes PVA that I'm currently using in April 2005, and it's still working fine! I bought it to seal and prime some fresh plaster when I was re-tiling our kitchen, but I bought far too much. I then realised its potential as a replacement for the more expensive UniBond, and I've been using it ever since.

I usually decant it from the 10-litre tub into a smaller jar, which I keep on the workbench. Occasionally a thin layer of water settles out on the top of the glue in the tub, but this reabsorbs with a quick stir.

This is great to know. Thanks.

I bought the Wickes PVA that I'm currently using in April 2005, and it's still working fine! I bought it to seal and prime some fresh plaster when I was re-tiling our kitchen, but I bought far too much. I then realised its potential as a replacement for the more expensive UniBond, and I've been using it ever since.

I usually decant it from the 10-litre tub into a smaller jar, which I keep on the workbench. Occasionally a thin layer of water settles out on the top of the glue in the tub, but this reabsorbs with a quick stir.