rickeyfro

Stingray Inlay Solo

I got this pan on Ebay cheap, and had a good size Burgundy stingray laying around, this is what I ended up with. My shop is Fluer de lis customs, but since I had some scrap instead of a makers mark I did the inlay on the back

stingray_1.JPG

stingray_3.JPG

stingray_4.JPG

stingray_2.JPG

post-5441-1245382169_thumb.jpg

post-5441-1245382378_thumb.jpg

post-5441-1245382445_thumb.jpg

post-5441-1245382552_thumb.jpg

Edited by rickeyfro

WOW,thats really nice!! Now you have to make some chaps with a full butt, so you can protect the seat of your pants. One thing about it, that seat will last longer than the bike.

Beautiful work, I also like the lacing and braid work that you did.

Thats definatly kickass lookin.

Whoever runs that wont have to worry about sliding off the back of lol.

Hey Eric,

All my swivel knife work is done done with the same blade. I use only the 3/16" angle blades by Tandy. You will find that they are currently rather hard to find. I think it is because of a mistake in their catalog, which they will correct at some time.

David Theobald

looks great, I really like the fleur de lis on the bottom

Beautiful piece of work, is there a book, to learn how to do the differant types of braiding. I'd like to give the braiding a go. Darryl

man you have one heck of a lot of lacing in that little seat!

well done :specool:

Got any good tips for sewing Stingray? It looks like it would blunt any needle you showed it to.

Ray

Thanks for the kind words.

Beautiful piece of work, is there a book, to learn how to do the differant types of braiding. I'd like to give the braiding a go. Darryl

I originally learned my lacing through a DVD I got from Hidecrafters, it may have been Chan Greer or Hurst

Got any good tips for sewing Stingray? It looks like it would blunt any needle you showed it to.

Ray

Ray. I just use a Bob Douglas Awl and regular Harness Needles, I dont try sticking needles through the stingray

Edited by rickeyfro

Thanks for the kind words.

I originally learned my lacing through a DVD I got from Hidecrafters, it may have been Chan Greer or Hurst

Ray. I just use a Bob Douglas Awl and regular Harness Needles, I dont try sticking needles through the stingray

I would have liked to have laced this with Burgundy lace but didnt know about dyeing lace colors, anyone try this? Also had trouble finding Burgundy thread in 207 or 277 all I could find was weaker thread, any of ya'll try dying white thread colors?

I was thinking of using a machine! What do you glue the stingray in place with before you stitch?

Ray

I really love these two books, one simple and one with everything.

http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/home/de...ature=Product_1

http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/home/de...ature=Product_5

Remember look on amazon and you may be able to find them cheap sometimes.

Barge Cement, no machine yet but working on it

I was thinking of using a machine! What do you glue the stingray in place with before you stitch?

Ray

I would have liked to have laced this with Burgundy lace but didnt know about dyeing lace colors, anyone try this? Also had trouble finding Burgundy thread in 207 or 277 all I could find was weaker thread, any of ya'll try dying white thread colors?

I dye lace to go with a project quite often, This is what I do:

Start with a natural lace and pull off enough to finish the project. Pour the color dye you want to use in a clean glass jar, put the lace in it close the lid and gently shake ( I suggest that this part be done outside!!) After the lace is one solid color, I take it out of the jar and drape it loosely on a wire clothes hanger and let it dry for 24 hrs. Once it is dry, the lace will be stiff. I use Lexol on a piece of sheep wool and run the lace through it 2-3 times and again let it dry, the wool will end up with residue from the dye, don't worry about it. I condition it on more time and this time use the Lexol on a piece of old t-shirt and dry again. The lace should be ready to use at this point, run it through your hands checking for dry spots,if there are any re-condition...

I will post some examples, one is yellow, the other burgundy

satchel.jpg

S5030959.JPG

post-10848-1245536826_thumb.jpg

post-10848-1245536855_thumb.jpg

I dye lace to go with a project quite often, This is what I do:

Start with a natural lace and pull off enough to finish the project. Pour the color dye you want to use in a clean glass jar, put the lace in it close the lid and gently shake ( I suggest that this part be done outside!!) After the lace is one solid color, I take it out of the jar and drape it loosely on a wire clothes hanger and let it dry for 24 hrs. Once it is dry, the lace will be stiff. I use Lexol on a piece of sheep wool and run the lace through it 2-3 times and again let it dry, the wool will end up with residue from the dye, don't worry about it. I condition it on more time and this time use the Lexol on a piece of old t-shirt and dry again. The lace should be ready to use at this point, run it through your hands checking for dry spots,if there are any re-condition...

I will post some examples, one is yellow, the other burgundy

Thanks Jana, what about dyeing white thread? ever do that?

I personally have not... but I have some friends that use the Rit dyes to color natural linen thread for making various projects with.

Do some reading on the package to see if there is anything that needs to be done to "set" the color. The thread will have to be waxed before it is used.

Good Luck

Hi Rickey,

Really nice seat! Dyeing thread is a booger! You can dye the natural fiber ones like linen, and cotton, but they won't normally hold up as well as nylon or poly. The nylon and poly just don't really take dye well.

Kevin

Ricky- there is another conversation running in

Leatherworker.net = The Business = Suppliers

The topic is Help : Looking for thread for my leather strap project there is some information in there that may answer your questions about colored thread.

Good Hunting!!