UKRay

Tell us about the place you live

I freely confess I'm a bit of a dreamer and can sit at the bench daydreaming for hours whilst doing mundane tasks. I've been thinking about travel lately and, as one who has been round the world a few times as a journalist, I thought I had finally got the 'been there and done that' tee shirt.

Now I'm not so sure.

I keep seeing place names attached to postings (it seems the requests for profile info are working) and each time I do so I wonder what those places are really like. Forth Worth in Texas is a good example. I have been seeing that place name on boxes and invoices for the past thirty years and have never had the opportunity to visit. Same goes for North Dakota,the Great Lakes and TN. I have spent months in Silicon Valley but would also dearly like to see the old plantation houses in South Carolina. I want to see aligators in the Everglades but there must be a host of other great places in the US that never make it onto my radar.

To make things worse, my son is about to fly out to New Zealand in a couple of weeks time to work as an IT contractor and tells me he may not be coming back. This opens up another can of worms as Australasia is suddenly on my list of places that I'm going to need to visit. Hey, I've always wanted to see wild kangaroos and Kiwis, but there must be loads of other things folk shouldn't miss downunder.

Scandinavia is also on my list of destinations. I have spent time in Norway, Sweden and Finland but mainly saw the inside of offices. Is it really as beautiful as the tourist brochures say? How about the rest of Europe - Germany, France and Italy are all gorgeous and so are many of the eastern European countries.

How about a brief description of your area of the world and maybe a few pictures so we can all see what we are missing. It might make holiday planning a whole lot easier!

Ray

Hey Ill get a gallery together this evening or tomorrow and post it for ya. Just the north west washington state area. Very nice if you like the outdoors but it rains most of the year up here it seems like. The summers allthough short lived are very nice.

Great topic Ray!

Here in Mobile, Al, we've got a reeeeealy long history. It gets its name from the indiginous Mobilian Tribe. Mobile is a long time port city, first colonized around 1702 by the French. The rivers here were major trade routes for many years, going back to the colonial times. At different times, Mobile was a British, French, and Spanish colony. The historic society has wisely preserved Ft Conde, which once stood guard over the port, . We also have Ft. Morgan in Gulf Shores (other side of the bay) and Ft. Gaines on Dauphin Island which guarded the entrance to the bay/delta area. All the forts are open for tourism.

More modern attractions include the USS Alabama, a WWII battleship that's open for tours, and Battleship Park, which hosts military vehicles and aircraft, and the occasional rugby game. There is also a submarine to tour in the park, the Skate.

Oh, and Mardi Gras.....we musn't forget Mardi Gras! Mardi Gras began in Mobile back in 1703, but New Orleans typically has the biggest (and most raucus) party, so they get all the notice.

Across the bay, there's also Blakely State Park, site of a civil war battle.

Personally, one of the best times to visit is whenever we have a Jubilee. Due to certain attributes of the Gulf of Mexico, every so often, pretty much everything in the water comes to the shore. You can walk down the beach and load fresh seafood straight into an ice chest, filling it full in a very short time. Beat's waiting for something to bite your lure any day of the week.

We have lots of things for tourists to do. Really old interesting stuff for the history buffs, and beautiful beaches (with appropriate scenery) for leacherous old scoundrels.

Way out in the west end of the county, there's a little hovel with a novice leatherworker too.

Edited by TwinOaks

I live in Los Angeles, so there's always something to see whether or not you want to look or not.

But two of our coolest things are:

The Autry Museum http://www.autrynationalcenter.org/

The Peterson Auto Museum http://www.petersen.org/ me and my girlfriend went here on our first date over nine years ago.

My wife and I live on a barrier island on the central east coast of Florida.We are just South of Cocoa Beach and the Kennedy Space Center, so we can watch launches right from our front porch.We are also known for being the small wave surfing capital, with many champion surfers coming from here.Also about a 1 1/2 hr from Disney World and Daytona Beach(Bike Week and NASCAR racing).I grew up here and my wife has lived here since the 70's so we love it,but it do get HOT and humid(right now about 98 and about 90% humidity),thanks for AC in the shop.Dave

Space shuttle going up

192x235-1.jpg

at the beach

stevenharpgmail_comjl_3086.jpg

Here are just a few pictorial reasons why I moved to Ludlow. We can't compete with the 'Space Age' (amazing pics, BTW DC) and don't have a beach but we do have something special to offer from days gone by. Ludlow is a medieval walled town full of black and white timbered buildings and oozing history and character.

The houses are incredible but you mustn't expect the bright lights of a city if you visit Ludlow, we only have a population of 10,000 and that includes all the outlying villages. The hotels and B&Bs are great though and the Church Inn (yes, it is right next door to St Lawrence's Church) serves a great pint of Eastgate Ale.

The food here is exceptional as you might expect from a town famous for Michelin starred restaurants and celebrity chefs. Try to get here for the food festival, now that really is truly amazing!

Ray

Since you mentioned North Dakota, I'll send you a link to some pictures of the part of the state I live in. I think the Badlands area and Roosevelt National Park is the prettiest place in North Dakota. We have an abundance of wildlife and pretty scenery. There is also a lot of history here (but I guess everywhere has history). North Dakota has several old forts and indian villages (restored or recreated). George Custer was based here before he decided to chase indians off into Montana. Lewis and Clark spent a couple winters here while they were exploring and mapping out new territory. Theodore Roosevelt had 2 cattle ranches here in the badlands before he moved back east and was elected president. We don't have a lot of people or big cities and i think that's a plus.

Pictures from the badlands

Thanks for the trip down memory lane (somewhat) Clay. When I was in the 8th or 9th grade my parents took me and my brother on a trip to the badlands of South Dakota. We stayed a couple of weeks in the Black Hills Nat. Forest and bounced between Lead, Deadwood and Wall. One of the best memories that I have is of the trees, you scratch at the bark and it smells like butterscotch. I think that they're Pondorosa Pines. We did make a couple of day trips up close to the N. Dakota border to the badlands. It was so awesome to see free roaming buffalo. I hope to take my kids up there and share the experience I had.

After I kick the kids out of the house I hope to make it up to Scandinavia, in the summer time, and go to the stav churches up there. People have told me that the pictures on the internet don't even try to do them justice.

Hey Ill get a gallery together this evening or tomorrow and post it for ya. Just the north west washington state area. Very nice if you like the outdoors but it rains most of the year up here it seems like. The summers allthough short lived are very nice.

I too Live in the washington area, I am on the other side of the state however. beautiful country I will try to post some pictures in a day or two when I feel a little better.

One publication I really love is Country magazine, by Reiman press. It offers some stunning shots of the US, plus great stories and humor.

While I live in Virginia right now, and could rave about the scenic beauty of the Blue Ridge Parkway, I have not been here long enough (just over a year) to comment on it as other than a tourist. I was born and raised in New Jersey - a state that often gets a "bad rap". I found much to love about it though, and I miss it dearly.

I lived in Hunterdon County, which was still a fairly rural area, near the towns of Flemington and Clinton. We had a 7 acre horse farm, on which we raised Arabians, had about 30 apple trees, and some peach, cherry and pear as well. To me, it was a little slice of heaven. Our barn was so old, it had wooden pegs for nails. Most of the property was marked with a rock wall, the undamaged part of which was 4 feet high and 4 feet wide. The wall alone was said to be over 100 yrs old. Now, I know that's not old in many European places, but to a kid in NJ that was ancient! LOL! We had a swimming pool and a tennis court too. How I miss that farm! My folks retired and moved here to VA though - and since we wanted Ethan to grow up near family, we moved not long after.

NJ is just too expensive anymore. Yet I yearn for the back roads and the changing seasons. For the beaches of Wildwood and Seaside Heights. For being close to New York City and Philadelphia, as well as the mountains of Pennsylvania.

I often wonder how my parents could live somewhere all their lives and then move somewhere so radically different (as the South is to the North) in their '60s!!! Mom was from North Jersey originally (Stanhope) and Dad was from the south end of the state (Sewell). They met at Rutgers University.

Anyhow, that's my tale - I'd be back in Jersey in a heartbeat if I could afford it!

100_1411.JPGorchard2.jpgrockwall2.jpg

post-5639-1245546548_thumb.jpg

post-5639-1245546628_thumb.jpg

post-5639-1245546641_thumb.jpg

One publication I really love is Country magazine, by Reiman press. It offers some stunning shots of the US, plus great stories and humor.

While I live in Virginia right now, and could rave about the scenic beauty of the Blue Ridge Parkway, I have not been here long enough (just over a year) to comment on it as other than a tourist. I was born and raised in New Jersey - a state that often gets a "bad rap". I found much to love about it though, and I miss it dearly.

I lived in Hunterdon County, which was still a fairly rural area, near the towns of Flemington and Clinton. We had a 7 acre horse farm, on which we raised Arabians, had about 30 apple trees, and some peach, cherry and pear as well. To me, it was a little slice of heaven. Our barn was so old, it had wooden pegs for nails. Most of the property was marked with a rock wall, the undamaged part of which was 4 feet high and 4 feet wide. The wall alone was said to be over 100 yrs old. Now, I know that's not old in many European places, but to a kid in NJ that was ancient! LOL! We had a swimming pool and a tennis court too. How I miss that farm! My folks retired and moved here to VA though - and since we wanted Ethan to grow up near family, we moved not long after.

NJ is just too expensive anymore. Yet I yearn for the back roads and the changing seasons. For the beaches of Wildwood and Seaside Heights. For being close to New York City and Philadelphia, as well as the mountains of Pennsylvania.

I often wonder how my parents could live somewhere all their lives and then move somewhere so radically different (as the South is to the North) in their '60s!!! Mom was from North Jersey originally (Stanhope) and Dad was from the south end of the state (Sewell). They met at Rutgers University.

Anyhow, that's my tale - I'd be back in Jersey in a heartbeat if I could afford it!

100_1411.JPGorchard2.jpgrockwall2.jpg

Just imagine picking up all those stones to clear the paddocks!

Tony.

I live in Buffalo, NY. The Buffalo area is famous for two things shown below.

sCIMG3824.jpg

sCIMG3487.jpg

sCIMG3488.jpg sCIMG3489.jpg

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

post-7132-1245555132_thumb.jpg

post-7132-1245555196_thumb.jpg

post-7132-1245555234_thumb.jpg

post-7132-1245555258_thumb.jpg

Just imagine picking up all those stones to clear the paddocks!

Tony.

That's why we named the farm "Rocky Meadows"! It was still rocky enough to repair the fallen portions of the fenceline if we'd wanted to...

I'm also LOL at Bree's post - too true Bree!

Well Ray

Another great topic,

Sorry in advance for spelling and other mistakes my mac is still down so I on my phone,

I live in the northern end of Utah about 35 miles south of Salt Lake City, right next to the mountians there are lots of ceader trees and oak brush, there are deer in the back yard turkey, hawks, wild horses,

And a Army base on the other side of the mountain and I hear the weapons training going on some times, the state is incircled by mountains my views are stunning, the snow caped mountains rolling hills and vast pine forest's.

My city herriman was setteled by a few brave men and women and the culture is one of cowboy life mixed with modern city life.

I can hear the rodeo every Friday.

The weather is cold in the winter and hot in summer about *99 degrees on average my home is on a dirt road and the peace is nice very nice

Utah has a population of about 3 million people and that's more than enough for me so that's it I love it here I go Wyoming twice a year and love it there two but this is home.

Josh

Edited by jbird

I live in Wichita, KS. It's boring. 'nuff said.

Well Ray

I've never been across the pond But I've learned over the years that I live in a gorgous country.

I was born and raised in the Los Angeles basin (San Fernando ) I really miss backpacking in the Sierra nevada mountains and going to the beaches .

Then just like any good californian I wanted to examine the myth called culture shock so I moved to New Jersey (somerset county). (I don't think I'll ever be the same again) Butt Holly is absolutly right you get all four seasons, beautiful backwoods roads, Atlantic city and I did notice that the closer you got to NY city everything started to move faster and get more chaotic. (including peoples tempers)

When I moved to Chicago I found a freshwater ocean called Lake Michigan. It was a wonderful sight but it was always missing that salty air ;)

The best thing to me about chi town is going to Wrigley Field for a a hot dog and a beer, ( oh and giving cuby fans a hard time )

And finally, I now live in North Mississippi not far from the crossroads , the home of the BLUES. Memphis and beale st. and of course The Great Ms. River. and some of the best BBQ in the world ( HOORAH Memphis in May)

The history of each of the four areas I'v lived is overwelming, It would take a lifetime to learn it all, and it is a big country and life is short so I think I'll try to see as much of it as I can.

The people and cultures in this forum are many and varied

Thank you all for this little mental tour of places that are dear to us all.

Did I mention We have Great BBQ down Here in the south? :spoton:

Mike B

Well here is a couple of photos of the surrounding area. The city doesnt look as nice lol. Most of my photos are on another computer but anyways.

101_run_034.JPG

anacortes__oyster_run__92808_325.jpg

anacortes__oyster_run__92808_333.jpg

coastal_pic.jpg

post-5781-1245649876_thumb.jpg

post-5781-1245649883_thumb.jpg

post-5781-1245649892_thumb.jpg

post-5781-1245649901_thumb.jpg

Well here is a couple of photos of the surrounding area. The city doesnt look as nice lol. Most of my photos are on another computer but anyways.

Lovely view! Any good fish in that water? Are they all tourist vehicles in the background?

Tony.

Lovely view! Any good fish in that water? Are they all tourist vehicles in the background?

Tony.

One of the lakes is pretty good yeah, the tall bridge overlooks a river that flows into the ocean I beleive, all kinds of stuff down there.

The roads were full as we were headed back from a bike rally (oyster run). This is a shot of the main street there. Alot of bikes lol.

resized_for_leatherworker.jpg

post-5781-1245656018_thumb.jpg

My family (wife, faithful dog and now caring for my mother-in-law), live north of Detroit...at least during the week. What we consider home is 4 hours north of Detroit in an area called Black River, Michigan. Right on the shores of Lake Huron. While that place sits on about a fat acre, we have 130 acres of state land that adjoins our property and also borders Lake Huron. Hiking, biking, atv trails are cut through the state land and we enjoy that very much. The marina is only 6 miles away so if we want to spend time on the boat it is a no brainer. While the salmon fishing has dwindled a bit in recent years, with a little luck you can catch enough for dinner and put a couple of fillets in the freezer. My youngest son and I do our fair share of small game and deer hunting in the fall. The shoreline is rich with fossels and we have found several prehistoric sharks teeth and some limestone rocks with different fosselized creatures embedded in them. It is peaceful and easy to relax up there. This past weekend the fog was rather heavy and you could hear the great lakes freighters sounding the horn every couple of minutes. The Presque Isle lighthouse is said to be haunted. It was featured on a program dealing with lighthouses. During some restoration, the workers found a womans wedding band stuck in the mortar. Funny thing is, this supposidly came from the same woman who had disappeard years ago and her husband (the lighthouse keeper) told everyone she just up and left! For the last 2 years we have a nesting pair of Bald Eagles somewhere on the state land.

The name of our boat is "Victoria's Seacret", the name of the little Zodiac we have for a yacht tender is "Thong"....It usually gets a laugh or two.

Dennis

Christmas_2007_098.jpg

VS_Anchor.jpg

VS_Anchor.jpg

post-8824-1245658218_thumb.jpg

post-8824-1245658243_thumb.jpg

post-8824-1245659062_thumb.jpg

Edited by claybuster101

Great topic Ray. I live in Kenton, Ohio and the only thing here is corn fields and old order Amish. We have the largest coon dog field trials in world, which got canceled this year for some unknown reason. I live 18 miles north of the highest point in Ohio, Bellefontaine. Just south of Bellefontaine is Ohio Caverns and the Piotte Castles. Ohio has a lot to offer. Let me know if you ever need a place to camp out while in the states. I am an hour and a half south of Lake Erie.

Well Ray

I've never been across the pond But I've learned over the years that I live in a gorgous country.

I was born and raised in the Los Angeles basin (San Fernando ) I really miss backpacking in the Sierra nevada mountains and going to the beaches .

Then just like any good californian I wanted to examine the myth called culture shock so I moved to New Jersey (somerset county). (I don't think I'll ever be the same again) Butt Holly is absolutly right you get all four seasons, beautiful backwoods roads, Atlantic city and I did notice that the closer you got to NY city everything started to move faster and get more chaotic. (including peoples tempers)

When I moved to Chicago I found a freshwater ocean called Lake Michigan. It was a wonderful sight but it was always missing that salty air ;)

The best thing to me about chi town is going to Wrigley Field for a a hot dog and a beer, ( oh and giving cuby fans a hard time )

And finally, I now live in North Mississippi not far from the crossroads , the home of the BLUES. Memphis and beale st. and of course The Great Ms. River. and some of the best BBQ in the world ( HOORAH Memphis in May)

The history of each of the four areas I'v lived is overwelming, It would take a lifetime to learn it all, and it is a big country and life is short so I think I'll try to see as much of it as I can.

The people and cultures in this forum are many and varied

Thank you all for this little mental tour of places that are dear to us all.

Did I mention We have Great BBQ down Here in the south? :spoton:

Mike B

BBQ, just got in some Corkey's via Fedex. That's the only way we can get good BBQ down here in Florida. I fished many bass tournaments in Sardis & Enid in your part of Mississippi.

Regis

Kathys_camera_06_07_060.jpgKathys_camera_06_07_064.jpgPictures_from_2007_081.jpgfall_pictures_005.jpghondacrv_and_camping_008.jpgLeather_pictures_017.jpgfall_pictures_021.jpgfall_pictures_019.jpg

I get a little carried away when I show off pictures of our area. That's because I am very excited about living where I do, in the heart of the Rocky Mountains. The first two pictures are the yak pasture. Then there's the bull elk in our front yard. The mountain is Black Mountain. We in the shadow of it, at the far right. The next one is in the national forest. Then there's a trail going up Mount Evans, a popular fourteener in our area. The last two are along a trail behind our house.

I love seeing where everyone lives. Thank you for sharing!

Kathy

post-1462-1245956806_thumb.jpg

post-1462-1245956836_thumb.jpg

post-1462-1245957030_thumb.jpg

post-1462-1245957126_thumb.jpg

post-1462-1245957343_thumb.jpg

post-1462-1245957587_thumb.jpg

post-1462-1245957656_thumb.jpg

post-1462-1245957758_thumb.jpg

Kathy,

That is just beautiful. Especially from here (sweltering at 95+degrees & 95%+ humidity) near the beach. I did some hiking on Mount Evens in fall of 1962. Loved it then and probably would today. Better watch them elk or one day you might see a Yalk :nono::lol:

Thank you for the pictures and please post some when it is beautifully white too. Love the snow (as long as I don't have to dodge traffic)

Regis

Montrose, Colorado Located on the SW side of the Rockies. Community of about 15,000. It's high country irrigated desert with mountians all around. Famous for 4 wheel adventures, motorcycle touring, fly fishing gold medal waters and close to skiing and the best hunting around. Mild winters and summers known as the banana belt of Colorado. Placed high on US best places to retire. I only have one spare bedroom so you can't all come at once.

P.S.

Bypass Fort Worth, Tx and head to the Texas Hill Country down around Fredericksburg. Fort Worth is just another city flat and dusty.

P4270069.JPG

post-9876-1245961026_thumb.jpg