kbeach

Leather Weight for Motorcycle Seats???

I'm making a motorcycle seat for my son. I made one and used 3-4oz weight leather. I want to use 2-3oz leather for this next seat and it will be tooled. Is this okay for tooling and for durability? What is the best weight to use?

I'm making a motorcycle seat for my son. I made one and used 3-4oz weight leather. I want to use 2-3oz leather for this next seat and it will be tooled. Is this okay for tooling and for durability? What is the best weight to use?

I use 4/5 oz and have even used 5/6oz. If you're tooling, I would think 2/3 might be a bit thin. I do use 2/3, but only for the side panels (if the seat requires them)

I like to use 5 to 7 oz on the top, coz I like to cut pretty deep. I normally use 4/5 on the sides just so I can mold it easier. I've used 3oz once when I didn't have much room between the seat and the frame for anything thicker.

Shirley

I agree with the others, use a little heavier weight like 5-7. 2-3 is a little thin for nice tooling and will probably stretch a little more as well. Dave

I purchase my leather from Tandy and use 9051-01....this is Live Oak trimmed double shoulders weight is 7-8oz. I also like to tool as deeply as possible.

Dave Theobald

http://www.theobaldleather.com

i use 3-4oz on the sides and 5-6 generally for the top

Revival time.

Was wondering, would you guys that like to tool good and deep and what not would you recommend about 7oz for the top or center portion and then say 4/5oz for the sides so that it will mold easier.

Do you guys think this will look funny at all or should it work out or should I go with 4/5oz all the way around.

Revival time.

Was wondering, would you guys that like to tool good and deep and what not would you recommend about 7oz for the top or center portion and then say 4/5oz for the sides so that it will mold easier.

Do you guys think this will look funny at all or should it work out or should I go with 4/5oz all the way around.

Max

I would never use 4-5 oz for a seat top. I've switched to Wickett and Craig for my leather and use 7-8 oz for the tops of my seats. I don't wet mold my seats so I use the same weight for the bottoms too. If you are wet molding, look at Roger's response above also Shirley's response these are the two best at wet molding. Roger uses 3-4 oz on the sides and Shirley uses 4-5 oz on the sides. They also vary a bit on the weight for top leather but neither of them use anything as light as 4-5 for top leather.... we all like to tool too deep to use the light stuff for a top.

David Theobald

Max

I would never use 4-5 oz for a seat top. I've switched to Wickett and Craig for my leather and use 7-8 oz for the tops of my seats. I don't wet mold my seats so I use the same weight for the bottoms too. If you are wet molding, look at Roger's response above also Shirley's response these are the two best at wet molding. Roger uses 3-4 oz on the sides and Shirley uses 4-5 oz on the sides. They also vary a bit on the weight for top leather but neither of them use anything as light as 4-5 for top leather.... we all like to tool too deep to use the light stuff for a top.

David Theobald

Thanks, yeah that w/c stuff is nice.

Im trying to use up my tandy stock on myself and am gonna try the 7/8oz for the top (center) and 4/5 for the sides and back for the wet molding part.

I am attempting my first seat using my factory seat. I can not find any examples of factory seats that have tooled and recovered. (With the exception of older seat styles.) I am using 7-8oz Tandy double oak and have the tooling design and am ready to go. Just get the feeling I'm about to really screw up when I try to start. Can anyone post some photos of a newer factory seat that has been tooled and finished out or am I about to ruin a good seat?? Please help I'm driving myself crazy!