TomBanwell

Defender, a steampunk helmet

0628helmwithplate.jpg

This is my latest steampunk helmet, made of handstitched 5-6 oz veg tan leather with resin and metal parts. The front plate is cold cast aluminum. The neckguard has ten luminiferous aether collection devices for gathering aether energy and converting it to light the headlamp. Step-by-step construction on my blog http://tombanwell.blogspot.com

Edited by Banwell

Beautiful work.

Amazing work of art, what an brilliant imagination you have. I loved your blog, some very wonderfully unique masterpieces.

Love, love, love...

You have a wonderful creative mind:-)

When I saw you posted something new, I just had to jump in and take a look. Jeez, Tom, your imagination just blows me away sometimes!

Kate

There's some interesting things going on out there that I knew nothing about til I started reading this forum. I don't know what a steam punk is but that's sure a nice looking work of art. I really enjoy seeing these different sorts of things that I otherwise would know nothing about. Chris

Thank you one and all. I readily admit I'm not your regular type of leather worker. I didn't know what steampunk was either, till about a year ago. I learned about Etsy from this forum, and there I first came across the word "steampunk". And golly Ned, now I are one! This leather forum has allowed me to learn lots of new things. Thank you!

You do some very cool work. I have browsed your etsy store and checked out our helms and mask and whatnot and allways impressed. Good job.

Remarkable. I have quite a few friends who are into steampunk. I like the aesthetics too, but don't claim the term "steampunk". That helm, and everything else on your blog for that matter is so beautiful. I'm still just starting my leather experiences, but one of my future projects that I want to make is a helm with kitty ears, but I didn't know how to make it out of leather. You might have pointed me into the right directions, I won't copy anything please don't worry. I will now watch your blog regularly, hoping to see more. :)

Hey Tom, I just had a quick peek at your blog, and knowing now that you have only been doing steampunk for a year, the work you do is amazing and creative. I look forward to your posts in the future.

THIS IS AWESOME!!! Love it. I love steampunk and this is perfect.

hello Tom,

I like your work very much it is great....your work reminds me on the adventures of jules verne

keep on going and show us your work!!

Greetings

Johann

Thank you, everyone. I reallyl appreciate your kind words.

This is truly amazing! I love the details you put into this. Specifically the Aether collectors around the back. How did you get the text in there? My first thought was silkscreened but I don't see how since it's not on a very flat surface.

I like! (insert voice of Borat here)

-Andy

0624_aether.jpg

post-8183-1246569438_thumb.jpg

How did you get the text in there? My first thought was silkscreened but I don't see how since it's not on a very flat surface.

-Andy

Thanks, Andy. In my real life I make custom trophies, which means I have a laser engraver. I engraved the text on a thin sheet of plastic designed just for this purpose, with a thin silver coating over a black base. The laser burns off the silver in selected areas.

Well, what can one say? I mean really now if you expect words, well all I have to say is :specool::clapping::notworthy::You_Rock_Emoticon: nuf said.

PANTHER

another great piece...love your blog....a laser engraver!!....so jealous!!!

After six weeks I've finally finished this project. I've posted more pictures on my blog http://tombanwell.blogspot.com/2009/07/def...tally-done.html

I was honored in being asked to exhibit my steampunk masks at the University of Oxford steampunk show. http://www.steampunkmuseumexhibition.blogspot.com/

0719defenderside.jpg

This is really cool stuff! Really!

Tom, this thing is so cool! I can't help but look at it at least twice an hour lately. Fantastic!

You have out done yourself.  Now we need a new steam punk movie to put this in. This is totally cool!!!!!! :You_Rock_Emoticon:

Awesome piece. Your best yet. !!!!

Edited by Storm

Tom,

As another leather helmet maker, I can only repeat what I said once before...Your stuff just slays me. You are the Master.

Daggrim