esantoro

masking tape on leather

Is masking tape safe to use for plotting reference points on the grain side of vegetable tanned and chrome tanned leathers?

Thanks,

ed

Is masking tape safe to use for plotting reference points on the grain side of vegetable tanned and chrome tanned leathers?

Thanks,

ed

In my opinion you have to be VERY careful. Low tack tape may be OK but there is a risk anytime you apply tape to leather. I found that FROG tape has worked well. I do not allow it to stay on very long but it hasn't taken any of the grain off. It is expensive but I would rather pay more then damage the leather which is quite expensive on its own.

Experiment and test first.

My $.02.

:red_bandana::red_bandana::red_bandana:

I recently tried blue painters' tape on a lined gun belt to keep it clean while I handstitched it. The tape was on there for about a week and it did take a little leather off the lining when I took the tape off. The belt was not ruined, but I will never do that again. I have never tried the FROG brand tape.

Ed,

I use the blue tape from time time, but only if I have to. When I do it is where I can remove it immediately and I usually only do small pieces. It leaves very little residue which i have been able to remove during my standard wash with oxolic acid. I haven't used the green Frog tape that Bree found yet, but it's next.

Bob

I use the purple (low-tack) tape all the time for masking the leather while airbrushing, and have never had a problem with it damaging the grain or leaving adhesive behind. I buy that stuff by the case. Unfortunately, it is getting harder to find, and I have to order it now.

I recently tried the Painters Mate Green tape; it also does a great job masking and pulls easily and cleanly off the leather. I don't know if that's the same thing, or similar to FrogTape, but if not, then you have another choice.

I have successfully used the blue tape, but you have to remove it very, very slowly. It scares me, I don't use it.

Kate

Thanks for the responses. I'll get a roll of the low adhesive tape to have on hand.

ed

I have a tip - I don't use masking tape, but I do use low tack frisket for masking off designs for airbrushing. To ensure that it's even lower tack, I stick it to my t-shirt, or jeans, or whatever before I use it. It usually stays tacky enough to mask the area, and picks up enough fluff from my clothes to form a barrier between the adhesive and the leather which means it's less likely to lift the surface.

Masking tape is far more adhesive than frisket, so I'm not sure it would still work, but it's worth a try on a piece of scrap?