Well, here it is, my first post. I just started dabbling in leather again after more than a year off. I've only made a few things total, so I'm still rough. I got a .22 Henry Golden Boy for my birthday and thought it would be nice to have something western styled to carry my bulk ammo to the range in. I bought a book on braiding and did a round braid with a single piece of lace for each of the front corners and another for the back and flap, it was a lot of fun. Please give all of the critique you can, I'm here to learn.

Notice how I used the same radius object (a vase) to do the outlines for my border tool on the front flap. After seeing how that creates a whider gap in the center than at the edges I thought, Duh! I should have known better. Maybe I need a wing divider. Also, any advice on how you space your lacing holes from the edge without running a line on the leather? It's not extremely obvious, but I notice it.

Next time I would also v gouge the back flap a little higher on the back pannel, as the top sits funny against the back of the side flaps. I could also have rounded the back corner of the side flap to ease the top over it.

Side note: the box pattern I designed and layed out on paper myself. Then last week I got Stohlman's case making books for my next project and WHAM, it looks like I copied it right out of the book. Flattered me a little though, apparently we came to the same idea.

shellcase.jpg

shellcase__1_.jpg

shellcase__3_.jpg

shellcase__2_.jpg

shellcase__4_.jpg

post-7634-1247154243_thumb.jpg

post-7634-1247154258_thumb.jpg

post-7634-1247154273_thumb.jpg

post-7634-1247154284_thumb.jpg

post-7634-1247154293_thumb.jpg

I like this alot. I've made cases but this is nice. :You_Rock_Emoticon:

Nicely done, like that pattern.

Wow that is top notch! Great job!

Your border tooling is very nice and even - I also like the rich color of your antiquing. You are your own worst critic - You will see all the imprefections no one else does - Nice Job - Deb

Thanks for the compliments everyone. I'm hoping to get some more time with leather now, I'm looking forward to improving and trying some new stuff I've picked up on the forums.

McKenny, Great looking case. You memtion v-gouge back flap higher, it appears you forgot to figure in the leather thickness when flolding it around. Possible wet it and them fold and mark to gouge. Also is this case all one piece . I like to cut my end pieces seperate to much waste the other way . Also you might want to think about putting some type of feet on bottom so you want mess your case up at the range if happen to throw or drop your case. Just a thought,Stephen

McKenny, Great looking case. You memtion v-gouge back flap higher, it appears you forgot to figure in the leather thickness when flolding it around. Possible wet it and them fold and mark to gouge. Also is this case all one piece . I like to cut my end pieces seperate to much waste the other way . Also you might want to think about putting some type of feet on bottom so you want mess your case up at the range if happen to throw or drop your case. Just a thought,Stephen

That's exactly what I did, forgot about the leather thickness and the excess used up in bends. I did the box as one piece to minimize the amount of stitching/lacing, and just to see if i could do it. If I do another one, I think I'll do it with the side flaps as separates and stitch them in with a box stitch. I never even thought about the fact that I was wasting. Shame on me. As for the feet, I considered putting some studs on, but I'm really ok with this thing getting some good wear and tear for character. Thanks for the input. I'm thinking about doing one of these for my brother as a present and I should have some of the kinks worked out now.

I like the case a lot. Very nicely done.

You have a Golden Boy? OK, now I'm officially jealous.

I want a Big Boy in .45cal. The deluxe of course, why go half way, when you can blow your ENTIRE year's fun money in one shot.

David Theobald

Very cool ammo box......I did one for my Single Six (front page of my web-site, I didn't want to post it here) but not nearly as cool as yournz......

And hey.....you didn't waste nothin....those pieces you cut out went right in you scrap box, ci??

You'll have use for them sooner than later.

Now get going on the matching holster and belt rig....times a wasting!!

I like the case and also like to come up with my own patterns for things. Would you please post a picture of the case open? I am interested in seeing how you attached your front strap and what is under the flap. Thanks